OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2022 8:19 am  #11

Re: Fraying at the seams

Bertuccio,

Yep...  I look back and while I missed the SSA I can see the narcissism.. it was a subtle and gradual but if I look back.. always there from day one....though my GX was kinder toward every one in the beginning.    I asked mutual friends from college if they noticed the SSA ...no they did not but they noticed the narcissism,,    Why didnt you tell me I asked..  they said would  I have listened?     No I was in love back then and friends dont interfere with that... wish they had I guess..     But even they missed the SSA so there is beating myself up there... just a secret hidden from everyone.

I think in any normal marriage there is a certain amount of co-dependence and thats ok ... but these spouses took that co-dependence we had and abused  and manipulated it.     All I can say I gave true absolute fierce love..  my GX gave ? ...  shallow? not absolute? ,change with the weather love?    And its a scary thing I want no part of now that I see it.       I urge everyone not to beat themselves up and see it not as a flaw or fault in ourselves the love we gave but as a quality and strength..     These spouses, through their actions,  have forfeited all rights and privileges to our fierce loyal love...

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 19, 2022 10:56 pm  #12

It's difficult to get out of an emotionally abusive relationship because the abuser ramps up their bad behavior when they sense they're losing their grip on you. The purpose is to confuse your rational mind so it's almost impossible to make good decisions in your best interest.  That's how they get you to stay to remain subservient  to their goals. And remain so unhappy and blank inside.

Reaching out for support here and elsewhere helps anyone shake off the chains the abuser wants you to wear.

Last edited by MJM017 (September 19, 2022 11:08 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

October 5, 2022 8:05 am  #13

Deceivedandsad wrote:

Lately- I feel like I am losing my mind at everything. Even little things.

I know that I don’t have the right to PTSD- but that’s what it feels like.

This is where I'm at with things too, 14 months into this journey. I have been thinking about the emotions I feel when I interact with my ex - fear, depression, and above all anger - in terms of grief. The frozen pit of the stomach feeling when I pass a lesbian couple or a gay pride flag. But in the last week I've realized that it fits the description of trauma much more. But when I read about trauma victims it's always veterans, accident survivors, or abused spouses or children. That isn't my experience at all. I was never physically at risk, it was all emotional. I feel very unworthy of the PTSD label, even though the emotional symptoms are similar to those who suffer PTSD. I have begun exploring the idea of trauma-focused therapies, like EMDR, because I don't feel like the other therapeutic approaches I've tried are having an impact. 

Except for a few months right after she came out to me, when she openly had started a relationship with a friend while we were living together, my ex has been very kind and mindful of my experience. But those terrible months after she first came out when she was in the relationship, that is seared in my mind. I go back to it again and again and feel it in my body. And it comes back every time I think of her starting a new relationship, or think about how quickly she seems to have moved on while I'm still stuck in the past. I feel like not only has she stolen my past but she's stealing my present and future now, and I'm letting her as long as I can't find a way to tackle the trauma and move past it. 

Last edited by PageTurner (October 5, 2022 8:10 am)

October 5, 2022 8:23 am  #14

I am so sorry. I think that it is possible to have PTSD. I was in theraphy for a few years and my therapist thought at first that I had it. I wish you the best and I will hold a good thought for you.

October 5, 2022 8:53 am  #15

"He doesn't beat on me,
He doesn't cheat on me,
but he doesn't love me."

This was my mantra for years, until I finally learned why he didn't love me.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

Board footera