OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2022 11:14 am  #1

I now have a 50% conversion rate

I came here a few years ago when my partner of seven years transitioned (mtf). We ended up splitting up mostly amicably, but it was a hard road to get there.

I've been with my current partner for just about six months now, and they mentioned today that they're considering transitioning. That makes two out of the four partners I've had, very much the "if I had a nickel" thing). 

I honestly can't do it again. To make matters worse, my previous partner started to transition when my mom got her final terminal diagnosis. Now my sister has advanced cancer too, and this timing just feels so cruel, although I know the best time to transition is as soon as you know.

I'm going over to their place tonight to talk more about it. I'm just so tired, and so sad. I haven't told anyone in my personal life yet since it's still very private. 

August 10, 2022 9:07 am  #2

Re: I now have a 50% conversion rate

Wow.  If I were in your shoes, I would walk away with love.  Six months, is not six years.  It will be easier this time to perhaps just walk away? 

August 11, 2022 9:36 pm  #3

I agree with Nita. Let them go with love and concentrate on your loved ones. Wishing you peace.

August 15, 2022 1:13 pm  #4

My first love decided he was gay and in love with my brother.  My 2nd love switched genders mid-marriage..  You didn't cause it, you can't cure it, and you can't control it.  No amount of talking is going to fix it.  My heart goes out to you.  It sucks when you have a life-altering problem that you can't talk to other people about.  You can always talk to us here.  

Board footera