OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2022 12:17 pm  #1

Anyone stay friends with ex?

It is so hard to come to terms with shattered dreams and hopes. To imagine being without someone I have cared about and loved deeply for decades is crushing. 

Has anyone gone through a divorce/break up and remained close friends with their ex? The idea sounds nice for the sake of the kids, but I struggle understanding how it is possible. Being cordial and polite? yes.  Best friends? no.  It sounds like the request to remain close friends is common among the coming out partners.  Has anyone chosen that path and made it work?

August 5, 2022 4:57 pm  #2

Re: Anyone stay friends with ex?

Hi.  I just broke up with my boyfriend.  Someone I have known for 43 years, but only dated for the last ten.  He, too, seemed to want to stay close/best friends.  Just this afternoon I cut ties.  His messages would make me shake.  Fear of more hurt?  Not sure.  But I listened to my body an cut ties, said we can be friends down the road, but a time-out is required....

I think it's pretty tough when the emotions are running hard and fast, to switch over to being friends instantaneously.  I swear my guy wanted his cake, and to eat it too.  In other words, he still wanted me as his best friend, but wanted sexual freedom with his bisexuality and kink.........

Best advice I can give you, is to listen to your body and your gut.  Take care of YOU.  I know, for myself, I feel relieved and can breathe again.... Tells me that the decision I made was right for me.  Find your truth, act from a loving place (and that includes love for YOU!).  Best of luck in your process.  Hope this helps even a little.  Hugs. 

August 5, 2022 4:59 pm  #3

Hi.  I just broke up with my boyfriend.  Someone I have known for 43 years, but only dated for the last ten.  He, too, seemed to want to stay close/best friends.  Just this afternoon I cut ties.  His messages would make me shake.  Fear of more hurt?  Not sure.  But I listened to my body an cut ties, said we can be friends down the road, but a time-out is required....

I think it's pretty tough when the emotions are running hard and fast, to switch over to being friends instantaneously.  I swear my guy wanted his cake, and to eat it too.  In other words, he still wanted me as his best friend, but wanted sexual freedom with his bisexuality and kink.........

Best advice I can give you, is to listen to your body and your gut.  Take care of YOU.  I know, for myself, I feel relieved and can breathe again.... Tells me that the decision I made was right for me.  Find your truth, act from a loving place (and that includes love for YOU!).  Best of luck in your process.  Hope this helps even a little.  Hugs. 

August 6, 2022 7:32 pm  #4

Thanks, Nita. It is definitely hard to think about switching over to being just friends instantaneously.  I appreciate your advice.  It feels so foreign to think of what I want if he isn't in the picture.

August 15, 2022 1:30 pm  #5

I found that trying to be close "friends" just prolonged my heartbreak and anger. It took me a long time to let go completely, and in retrospect I can see that it would've been better for me if I had made a clean break sooner. But, of course, you can't stop loving someone instantly just because you want to.  And love can make us do stuff that's not good for us.  People who want to stay "just friends" are trying to minimize their guilt.  It's not your responsibility to let them use you to fix their own feelings.

August 15, 2022 7:01 pm  #6

I've had this problem. My gay husband has told me he wants to remain close friends. That he already sees me as his best friend and doesn't want to lose that. I can say that I also see him as my best friend and don't want to lose that either.....except I saw him as my best friend, life partner and lover. Turning all these romantic feelings off, stopping the attraction...all of it, it's not like a light switch I can just flick off when I feel like it.

The fact is, I sure as hell don't see him like I see my other friends. And I honestly don't know how this transition will work. I would like to be able to still remain friends, but I also don't want to open myself to being vulnerable ever again. And things like keeping in touch mean I get to see/hear about dating, partners, vacations, bonuses....you name it. All those things that I was supposed to be a part of and am now not. 

I do wonder if anyone else makes it work as strictly friends with no one getting hurt in the process.

August 15, 2022 9:52 pm  #7

I can tell you that my wife has stated that she "sees us in each other's lives" regardless of how our marriage turns out. I, however, see things quite differently. If, after 30 years together, she chooses to leave me & destroy our family, just so she can have sex with women, then I NEVER want to interact with/see her again. Too painful & devastating. I'm out, & she'll have to negotiate coming out to her family & our boys on her own. Then, of course, there's the issue of God, but she'll really have to deal with His judgement on her own.

August 16, 2022 6:17 am  #8

I broke up with my gay ex boyfriend last June. He wanted to be my best friend. I reconnected with someone from my past, and got re married three months after the breakup. The gay man was calling and e mailing me. I told him that it is not approriate (in my opinion) to have a former lover as a friend when you are married. Now, we are cordal to each other.

August 16, 2022 6:31 pm  #9

I agree with much of the advice here. I thought I could stay friends for the kids’ sake but it was not possible for me if I was ever going to heal from the devastating abuse of my trust. Real friends don’t do that sort of thing; he wanted his “cover” to stay in place for his own best interest; when we did stuff as a family after we separated and divorced I felt like I was in a theater of the absurd, on stage, giving a performance that really only benefitted him. And yes, my body understood the re-experiencing of some of the trauma  he caused. In his presence I would rethink memories and what the reality was of those, the subterfuge beyond my knowledge, until I did know and everything changed. I will probably always love what I thought I had built with my ex, but it was a house of cards, built on a rotten foundation of his lies. And he’s with another woman now so I experience the guilt almost of being a bystander to his further harm because he surely is not telling this woman the truth—no way. And please note that on this site there is a list of ways to distance yourself from the whole effing charade and charader. My ex moved around the corner from our family home which I got to stay in (another very  stressful negotiation … )  so I changed my routes to get anywhere in town just to avoid driving by his house because I realized each time I did I wanted to put a rock through his front window. Not healthy for me, so I had to let go of him completely and explain my truth to my kids. May you find peace in the aftermath.

August 16, 2022 6:52 pm  #10

Image v reality.

Most of us have suffered needlessly in this battle for living a genuine life.  In my case, I spent decades helping my GID narcissist ex wife hide her true self.  We created an image that ultimately only benefitted her.

So now that I’m out of that nightmare, I’m faced with a whole new image v reality battle.

The image I’d like to create?  Healthy, happy co-parenting.  Zero conflict post-divorce bliss.

The reality?  I hate my ex, and I’m a seething, anxious mess.  Even getting NEAR my ex makes me highly anxious and stressed.  I can’t be friends.  Who wants to be friends with a soulless monster?  Who could set aside the trauma in order to make that possible?

Board footera