OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2022 6:46 pm  #1

Today is not my day

Hello all;

Just needing to reach out for some support. I'm struggling really bad this week. My grandmother passed yesterday and I just don't know how much more I can take of life right now.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping and then sat in the parking lot and cried. Cuz I realized now I'm going to be doing everything on my own. Today I sat in a different parking lot and cried while running errands. This morning the dogs went bat crap crazy and I ran around trying to wrangle them as they were screaming their heads off at 5:30 am. He didn't come up to help. I ended up sitting and crying tears of frustration on the kitchen floor.

If I had known any of this, I would have made very different decisions in life. I would have never bought this house...it's a fixer upper that we bought a year ago. We had this long term plan to renovate the whole thing, make our little dream home and stay here long term. Everything that we've put into it is top of the line. He's done the majority of the work as he is the handyman. 

He's leaving me with the house. Because of the dogs. So I'm stuck with a half renovated, half dump of a home that I won't be able to afford to renovate further or have the skill or expertise to do half of it. He's promised to come back out and help continue the renos...but, I remain skeptical what is going to happen here when he starts his brand new life. I also don't know how I can maintain a house by myself. I would not have a 4 bedroom house with a giant yard if I was single.

We moved here so I could be close to my new work place. I have several chronic illnesses and struggle with severe fatigue and other issues, so having a short commute allowed me to have a much shorter day etc. Now, because of this, I have to leave this job. It doesn't have benefits. Because of my medical issues I need to have medical coverage through work (I don't qualify privately). So I have to get a new job. And commute almost an hour each way. So, a longer commute than I've ever had. He's moving back to the city and will have a short commute to work. 

I have 3 dogs and a cat. I would not have them if I was single. I would have a dog. They're very expensive and my one dog has crack head levels of energy. When I'm tired I really struggle meeting her needs. I got them because we were a couple, and he took on a chunk of the pet responsibilities. We made these decisions together and took on the responsibility together. Suddenly I'm single with 4 literal mouths to feed and a ridiculous amount of vet bills.

He is excited to get out there and start his new life....without a mortgage, home maintenance and bills, no dogs to make sure they aren't left alone too long and get walks, doesn't have to get up an hour early to feed and let out, the list goes on. He basically just gets to walk away from all his commitments and responsibilities. He's going to pay spousal support to cover some of the costs....but I love how somehow throwing money at me is supposed to fix this situation? I have to do all the work, take care of everything, commute 2 hours a day, and start an entirely different career where I have to work more than full time just to pay for the bloody house and pets in the first place (even with the money he plans to hand out). 

I don't know what planet he's living on...

Are these people delusional? Do they really think that normal people just walk away from their lives?

He told me if I was worried just re-home a dog or something. Yah....I love my dogs. They are currently my life and the only things there for me. Unlike him, I can't just go eeny-meeny and say oh, you're the unlucky one, boot! They're living creatures who innocently got placed in this situation. I may end up having to re-home at least one dog and the thought kills me. It's devastating and feels like just one more way my soul gets crushed.

How do people cope with this? This feeling like every time you turn around you're getting screwed over. I am struggling with fits of rage and random outbursts of crying. It's bleak. I'm really trying to hold on to the hope that somehow, someway, something positive happens sometime here....

July 20, 2022 7:03 pm  #2

Re: Today is not my day

Anon2222 wrote:

...... My grandmother passed yesterday and I just don't know how much more I can take of life right now......
How do people cope with this? ...

How many people who care about you do you have in your orbit at the moment Anon? because you have a lot on your plate and you shouldn't be doing this alone. My condolences for the loss of your grandmother. And a warm, embracing hug from me to you

How do I cope? I try to separate all the individual issues and not have them all jostling for my attention all at once. That can be difficult at the start I know. 

If I was you I'd sell the house, rehome 2 of the dogs and move somewhere smaller, more manageable. However it's easy for me to say

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 21, 2022 12:34 am  #3

Anon, 

All the hugs.  I know this is all so much coming at you at once,  And no none of it is fair.  They are being absolute idiots living their bachelor dreams free of the shackles that was their lives with us.  

You cry when you need to cry.  I about lost my ish in the middle of a car dealership today because I'm trying to get something cheaper for when I'm on my own.  I will echo Elle in find a counselor, you can ask your doctor for recommendations and also be very frank with them about how you are feeling with mental health.  Try searching your area for a Betrayal Counselor or Support Group.  

I cope by doing.  He surprised me once and like hell is he EVER going to do that to me again.  I am going to be ready if he meets his next step and decides he needs to accelerate the timeline so he can go be with his new guy.

If you don't want the house why don't you sell it?   I know its not always that simple. In a divorce you will each get half  of the proceeds and you can use the proceeds to help support you through the transition and help you get into a place of your own that is better for you to manage.  I love our home, we bought it and I thought this would be our home until we were empty nesters.  I can't afford it once he's gone, and like you its too much for me to manage.  Too many square feet and the yard is WAY too big.  I have to stay until I get a ruling on Disability but then we will sell.  I'm angry because I do love the home and I'm furious about having to move the kids schools.  But in the end I get to figure out where me, the kids,and the fur babies land.  And I'm eying something with a smaller yard and an HOA that will do yard work.  Honest to goodnees if one of those nice 55+ communities would let me move in I would...I mean medically I have the medical issues of someone much older and get flyers from assisted living communities all the time.  

Have you considered applying for Disability.  I know this is a hard decision to make and the process of doing it is horrendous and soul crushing.  I'm two years in and currently waiting a hearing.  I had to get an attorney (no money up front and you only pay if they get you on) and they are helping me through the process.  I don't have a defined condition which makes getting on harder.  If you have good medical history and a defined medical condition it can go faster.  My dad was only a matter of months to get on.  I have lung damage and climbing thes stairs is like I just sprinted a mile.  Disability will provide me healthcare.

If he is paying you support....have you considered him paying for your insurance and getting it off the exhange so you can have a job that doesn't involve the hour long commute.  You may also qualify for a credit for it from the government.  I did this with my mom, we filled out a few forms and she gets $600 a month towards her plan.

And no, you can just look at your pets and pick one to go.  For me that is asking me to give up a child and won't happen.  They are far more supportive of me than my husband is at this point.  They snuggle me when I cry.  They know when me or the kids aren't well.  They are my constant companions and not dtiching us to start a new life.

I am so sorry about your grandmother. loosing them later in life is incredibly devastating and not help with your current situation.  I was blessed to have one of mine up until a couple of years ago.  I was always close to her even after moving, growing up, getting married, having kids.  I take some comfort in she's up in heaven right now likely cursing my husband out every which we she can think of and hopfully haunting him.  And while she is not physically here with me I know she is here during difficult times.  The other night i was sobbing in bed, having had a very bad overwhelming day, and suddenly my room filled up with the smell of her perfume.  Her perfume hasn't been made for years and is so distinct in my mind, I don't have a bottle or anything close, I ran around and sniffed everything, including animals, trying to find the source and nothing.  But it was as strong as it would have been whenever I sat by her.  So I sat in bed again and cried, knowing that my Grandma was right there with me, supporting me the best she could.  Know she is with you, she loves you, and you will see her again one day.

The guys are not thinking.  My counselor said that they are basically having a mid life crisis and 18 years old all over again.  Setting off on their grand new adventure and the life they have been dreaming of for who knows how long.  They are absolutely unable to compute the amount of pain, hurt, and fear they are causing.

I am holding mine to the fire.  I am following all instructions from therapists and our financial advisor.  My husband said why are you moving so fast we were going to do this slow....as he said in therpay he's going to start dating.  Once I have taken care of the next step I am going to start the process of finding the divorce attorney so that its all ready to go when we know about Disability.  

Take it one step at a time. One day.  One hour.  Even one minute. Wheatever you have to do.  Know you are not alone.  Ask for help from those around you.

July 21, 2022 6:59 am  #4

I understand. I could not give you my dog child. I kept him safe.

July 21, 2022 8:22 am  #5

Thank you all for the support. It really is needed!

It's funny, because I do love this house to an extent. Once the renos are done it will be a beautiful home. The layout is great. With all the work that we've done on the backyard it's the prettiest yard I've ever had. And right now, the thought of moving is just too overwhelming. Right now this is "home" and the thought of giving up "home" as well is just too much.

Other compounding factor is...the city is just too expensive. Selling this house I would be lucky to be able to afford a condo in a not that nice area. I worked out the budget and housing expense wise, moving to a smaller place right now with what interest rates are doing etc it would be a whopping $100 less than staying in this house. I've also been looking at rent, but the rent/month is more than my mortgage payment now and next to no where allows pets. 

I am working at taking everything one day at a time and I will still have to figure out housing....but right now it feels like a bit of a rock and a hard place!

I am seeing a therapist, downside is, it's very expensive so I can't go as often as I would like. I am also being open with my friends and family and for the most part everyone has been supportive. I have major depressive disorder already....and this has really been a struggle, I have reached a whole new low in my life. Since this happened 3.5 weeks ago I have missed 3 days of work and my work is not happy....but I have just had days were I literally can't function. 

July 21, 2022 10:14 pm  #6

Anon,

A lot on your plate. Condolences on your grandmother. 

Do whatever you need to do to get through this season at a pace you can handle.
.it may mean do nothing in regards to worries.. about future or hard things and doing just what needs to be done today .ie go to work.   We can only handle so much.  It sounds like you are doing everything right.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 22, 2022 2:15 am  #7

I hear you on the house thing and yes finding a rental with pets is very hard to do. I am looking at something half the size we are in now and its 150K more than we paid for it.  this is another point I am absolutely furious at him about.  We have so much equity in the home, and when we did move on from the empty nest we would have been set.  If it were me I would stop all the reno stuff untill it is absolutely necessary.  Save the money and the mental anxiety that would go along with living in a construction zone and have him coming in and out to do it.  

Is there a way you can make the house work for you better?  Close off rooms you are not using so you don't need to clean them?  Shuffle rooms around so you don't have to deal with stairs as much?  

Yes therapy can be expensive.  Do ask about support groups in your area.  I reached out to a friend from high school who is a Betrayal Counselor.  She put me in contact with a divorce support group and they are working to form a straight spouse one as well.  I know I would have more resources if I reached out to my church but I am not at a place I want to do that yet.  Friends are one thing...church is a whole new ballgame.  

If you can't work you can't work.  I know those days where you can't get out of bed and its a medical issue.  They have to deal.  I am lucky in my bosses are very understanding and I have co workers that I can reach out too if there is an emergency I can't handle.  I am also lucky in I can work from bed...and have for years due to many stints on bedrest.  My two cents is to start hunting for a job that works better for your new situation and/or offers benefits.  

It will start to get better.
You mentioned he is going to help support you financially, are you working with a attorney or mediator in this process.  that way you have someone in your corner and helping negociate items.  there is nothing wrong with going in and saying what you need. Or have you stay down with the buget with him.  You keeping the house comes with more expenses he needs to help with.   Is he willing to stay married on paper so you can keep insurance?

July 23, 2022 7:17 pm  #8

If you are on his med insurance through work, you can stay on it on COBRA (if you're in the US), and make him pay for it. I believe you can stay on for 3 yrs. Long enough to sell the home and get something in that area that maybe lets you have a dog and cat. Don't worry about selling the house half done. People are so hot to buy houses right now you wouldn't have a lick of trouble getting it sold. Being alone, partly disabled and tired a lot to me translates to a condo. No outdoor stuff to deal with. I'm so sorry about your pets. I hope you can find contacts through family to perhaps take all but a quiet dog or the cat. There just isn't enough of you to take care of them too. This transition will be beastly, but in a year you may feel it was all for the best.
Wishing you peace and strength

July 26, 2022 6:45 pm  #9

So...I finally had a shining light in all the madness.

My grandma was an amazing person, and I am going to miss her so much. But the timing of everything is just crazy. I found out she is leaving me an inheritance. I have been tap dancing on the moon all of today since finding out. I feel like my grandma has my back and is looking out for me.

It is enough to pay off my portion of the debt and set up an emergency fund. It's basically enough that I am now not trapped in this situation. I have enough money to take a breath and figure things out and to not have to make any rash decisions. I can breathe!!!!!!!

The amount of relief I feel is surreal. 

At our wedding, my grandma said to my husband that if he ever hurt me she would track him down. So, now he can prepare to be haunted by one badass woman!

July 26, 2022 7:35 pm  #10

Anon2222 wrote:

....My grandma was an amazing person, and I am going to miss her so much. But the timing of everything is just crazy. I found out she is leaving me an inheritance....

Best news ever!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera