OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2022 10:04 am  #1

What to do, what to think?

I am so scared of putting this out there... but I need to reach out to someone.
Easter of 2021, my daughter was 10 days old when I found text messages on his phone. I confronted him and he said he was bisexual and experimenting, but was done and had chosen me and our daughter. I stayed and wanted to work with him.
7 weeks later a guy contacted me. He was in a relationship with my husband till about a month prior. I asked this guy for proof and I saw messages between them. This stuff, this relationship was going on throughout my pregnancy. My husband retreated, I thought this was because it is harder for a man to bond with his unborn baby. 
A month later at counselling it came out that my husband was molested by an older kid at school. This caused him to question his sexuality and who he was, at this pivotal point in time of becoming a father. 
There were some other revelations (he met up with 17 other guys through apps), which the counsellor all connected to this stage of "trying out gay life". It kind of made sense, this explanation, but I am so conflicted. I was heartbroken when I found out, hurt that he kept on lying to my face, felt stupid for not seeing the signs (he was always on his phone, met up with this guy, to de-stress).
My husband brought this guy to our home when I was in hospital with our daughter, and they spent the night in our bed!!!
I am still with him, we have a daughter. I want a family for her, but I am living a lie. I am not sure if I still have feelings for him? I put all my energy into my daughter and have nothing left for him. We have had some pretty big discussions. I have told him I don't trust him anymore and that he has changed. 
My mind is constantly racing and reliving and re-analyzing. I am going through stages of grief. Extreme sadness, anger, feeling lost, not wanting to be here anymore... I am emotionally exhausted. I have no one really to talk to.
What do I do? Is he gay? Is he straight but went through a massive crisis and has come out the other side? Can I ever trust him again? He was so good at lying, how do I know he does not lie now when he says he wants to continue with me?
I need help, I need advice, I need guidance, I need a crystal ball!

Last edited by stuckinoz (July 20, 2022 10:19 am)

July 20, 2022 2:01 pm  #2

Re: What to do, what to think?

My comments in red 

stuckinoz wrote:

..... I have no one really to talk to. You have us to talk to
What do I do? You take a deep breath, then another one, then one more. Deep breathing instead of startled emotions where you're holding your breath. On the General Board there's a thread called the First Aid Kit. Read it and continue to ask questions.
Is he gay? It doesn't matter what he is, he's dishonest, he's not who you thought he was.
Is he straight but went through a massive crisis and has come out the other side? That really isn't the point. The point is he knew to keep this from you because he knew it would change things between you and that is not what he wants. 
Can I ever trust him again? He was so good at lying, how do I know he does not lie now when he says he wants to continue with me?  Do you think you could? Trust him again? Honestly, he's proven he can, he did and may do again...lie to you
I need help, I need advice, I need guidance, I need a crystal ball! No you don't need a crystal ball, you need to look deep inside yourself and decide what you're willing to accept from a man who's not the man you thought he was 

Welcome to our Forum Stuckinoz

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 20, 2022 5:31 pm  #3

Hi, I live in Australia too.  

sorry to be so brutal but my assessment after reading your post is that your partner is gay in denial.  He sounds like he will string you along til the cows come home and have sex with men all the while.  

And the counsellor sounds problematic to me.  My suggestion is to look for a trauma counsellor just for you - and ask them straight up if they're gay or straight.

Part of the difficulty in being able to feel you know the truth is just that it's hard to believe how painful it is.  

So, it's like you have a big walk back to make.  And making a post here is a good start.  Next step is talking to someone on the ground.  A friend, someone who will give you a hug would be wonderful, is there a family member you could talk with? 

July 20, 2022 6:39 pm  #4

Hi StuckinOz,
I agree with Elle. It matters less what his sexuality is than the fact that he is a compulsive liar. (you did get tested for STIs, right?)
He is not going to change. Period.
You're likely young and I know you have a little one but if you can afford to kick him out or move out it seems like the only real choice. Unless you want to be on a pendulum ride back and forth with him and then have him leave or dump him 10 yrs from now when your child has been affected more.
Just saying...

July 20, 2022 11:59 pm  #5

I'm so sorry what you are going through and know its even harder with a little one at home.  

I'm going to echo the others in I would be shopping for a new counselor.  Your counselor needs to have your back, and messing around with 17 guys isn't him exploring...that is him living the life he wants.  I don't care if he cheated with another man or woman, 17 times...nope.  My counselor is amazing at having my back and she is our joint couselor to so will flat out call him out on his BS and hurtful actions.  

Mine only confessed to being gay, I suspect he did something while I was out of town that triggered him to confess to me literally the second I got home, but his confession ended our marriage.  He does not love me as I loved him and hasn't for at least a decade.  And we deserve to have someone that loves, cherishes, and supports us in all thing.  He revealed decades of lies, betrayal, and I will never trust him fully ever again.  

My husband isn't as hands on with the kids, and never has been.  I excused away a lot of his behaviors with he's the one working so its fair that I'm the one who will pull the night feeds/changes or stay up with sick kids.  Now, he's not even contesting custody.

Have you talked to your OB?  Let them know how you are feeling physically and emotionally and they may be able to help as well.  

Right now you focus on doing what is best for you and your daughter.

July 21, 2022 7:52 am  #6

I agree with others.....I highly recommend a different counsellor....

Honestly, some of these therapists are horrific. I swear they just mess people up worse. When my husband first decided he was bi I went to counselling and I told her that I was worried he wasn't telling the whole truth and that he was actually gay and would turn around and come out sometime and dump me. Her response was "yup, he might just do that" and that if he did it wouldn't be that big of a deal because it would just mean we weren't right for each other but right now I needed to focus on trusting him as is and believing what he said, because he knows better than anyone. And my main focus should be support, not questioning his identity. I never went back.

I really do feel like we get rail roaded by society somedays. Everyone is so supportive of the spouse coming out and "finding themselves" and not "living a lie"....that some even encourage them to explore and on and on. Because they've been repressing themselves, they deserve it. Meanwhile, anyone out there telling the married straight guy to go out and explore with other women because he's been repressing his urges down to poor old monogamy all this time???

July 22, 2022 7:33 am  #7

Stuckinoz,

Welcome.  Please read the first aid thread.   

You are experiencing the horribleness of the TGT (the gay thing).   The shock, trauma and hurt.

First ..be kind to yourself..you did nothing wrong.  The anxiety and breach of trust can be overwhelming and debilitating...  is he meeting a friend be it man, woman or animal to go shopping or have sex?  Why should you have to wonder?   This  betrayal and doubt is the trauma you're feeling with TGT making it more horrible and traumatizing.   

Start taking small steps for you and your kid.  Build a support system for you.  Know that you have a human right not to live in fear, anxiety and hurt.
You are not stuck..you are at the beginning of a season..hard, maybe long but a season nonetheless with a beginning, middle, and end.

Wishing you strength and courage.

Last edited by Rob (July 22, 2022 7:35 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

July 27, 2022 1:05 am  #8

Thank you all for responding to me. it is our 16th wedding anniversary today, but what is there to celebrate? the vows that were broken? 
As much as all of what you all said makes sense, I cannot get past the fact that I feel stuck, needing answers as to why he did the things he did. Why do I feel that because of his abuse, things get excused away? Is that fair to me? Why do I have a problem with leaving/kicking him out? I think it matters greatly whether he is gay or not... I feel sick, I have a really bad back and limited movement at the moment. I literally feel stuck in this situation, in my life. If it wasn't for my daughter, I would not be here anymore.
He is about to walk through the door after a few days away for work, and will most likely act normal. He wants to continue life, and sweep everything that happened under the rug. He desperately wants to go overseas, thinking it is the kickstart our relationship needs. I can barely just 'live' with him at home.
I realise this reads as rambling, it is so hard to get my thoughts and emotions verbalised.

July 27, 2022 2:37 pm  #9

Why do you feel stuck?  basically for the same reason we all feel like that - it's an instinctive sense of how to conduct a marriage - you want him to answer your questions.  And so you feel stuck because he will not answer your questions.  He is not acting like a responsible adult and you are.

It is complete rubbish to blame his behaviour on being abused.  If we all acted out due to abuse we'd have self imploded as a species a long time ago.

The thing you have to square up to is that he isn't going to answer your questions, he isn't going to conduct himself like a responsible adult so you are alone in the marriage and must plot your own course without deference to him.

The reason it is so hard to get your thoughts and emotions verbalised is because you are being gaslighted or deceived or lied to, however you want to put it, you are being fed a line by him while you are trying to have an honest conversation.  The solution to this is time away from him.  Be this as simple as going for a walk so you can think or getting away for a few days or longer is priceless.  Most importantly talk to someone, hopefully there is a family member you can confide in?

July 27, 2022 3:38 pm  #10

I tend to be someone who is rather blunt and realistic so sorry if this comes over that way. Do you have skills to support you and your daughter on your own along with child support? Then there's no reason to stay. He just came back from being away for work. I'll say what most likely 90% of the others here think when they see that. He went off for work...and play. He'll continue to see men whenever he is off for work, or out for a workout at the gym or any number of things. If your family lives anywhere nearby, heck, even in Australia at all, it would be a tremendously bad idea to move you and your daughter overseas. You won't have a support system. You can't access child support networks easily. You may not even be able to work unless you have a job before you move there. 
Too many red flags to mention regarding moving. 
Please don't leave anywhere you have a safety net. If you feel trapped now, imagine being thousands of miles from loved ones with no money to get back. 
Even if you are not ready to leave yet, please think 50 times before you agree to move anywhere with him.  take it from an old lady - I've seen this tactic before (not related to sexuality but abuse) and had to help get a niece home from another country when she was abandoned there. Then her child's father tried to get custody through that country, forbidding her to take the child back to the home country and very nearly succeeded. 
Liars are like Leopards. They never change their spots.

Board footera