OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2022 10:48 am  #1

Drip drip drip

How do you deal with the slow reveal of the facts?! Every time something new comes to the surface I'm right back to discovery day and the emotional roller coaster starts all over.

The details of what I found out last night doesnt change the bottom line but it still hurts just as much!

May 10, 2022 2:07 pm  #2

Re: Drip drip drip

Figuring-it-0ut wrote:

How do you deal with the slow reveal of the facts?! Every time something new comes to the surface I'm right back to discovery day and the emotional roller coaster starts all over.
The details of what I found out last night doesnt change the bottom line but it still hurts just as much!

F-i-o.....you will have to change the mindset you've had since you've known your husband. You'll still be operating in the "I married this man, I love him, he loves me, we have a life together" mode. Unbeknownst to you he's had a side-life he kept quiet about so you've probably felt safe? secure? in the life you had together.
I've already been through stages of confusion, grief and indecision and have come out the other side knowing that although my life has been changed, irreversibly, this is all about survival and the best way to stop 'details' hurting me was to process them as somebody else' decision to hurt me. Because it was the other side of my partner, the part he hides, that was dishonest, deceiving. 
If you can separate the 2 people he is you might find it's easier to see who you yourself want to be. That probably sounds all kinds of weird haha....but it's a difficult thing to explain how our minds work when they're buried under this kind of stress but that's how I did it. 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

May 10, 2022 3:37 pm  #3

the slow reveal is grooming - wanting to get you to go along with more and more bit by bit.

the fact that you go back to day one with each reveal means that nothing has been resolved to help you, look after you, it is all about your partner.

Elle there is one person standing before you.  Not two people, not two entities in one body who don't know what the other is doing.

My ex is an extreme case of Mr Nice Guy.  Everybody likes him and thinks he's so nice and helpful.  He's not - analyse how helpful he's actually been and you'd be surprised.  He knows exactly what he's doing and he's not nice, he gets pleasure out of tricking people and he knows it hurts, he doesn't want to be tricked himself.  He really isn't nice, but acting like he's a nice guy serves him well.

May 10, 2022 4:06 pm  #4

lily wrote:

.....Elle there is one person standing before you.  Not two people, not two entities in one body who don't know what the other is doing.......

To live with one.....give it any label you want person/entity/half/Jekyll/Hyde.....I disregard the other.
It's the way I do it   

KIA KAHA                       

May 10, 2022 4:55 pm  #5

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

lily wrote:

.....Elle there is one person standing before you.  Not two people, not two entities in one body who don't know what the other is doing.......

To live with one.....give it any label you want person/entity/half/Jekyll/Hyde.....I disregard the other.
It's the way I do it   

This right here is what I tend to struggle with the most! How did a live with such a kind person but was a cheater liar deceived?!??! And who had no regard for my life to hide such a secret and do these awful things!

Some days my brain tells me it’s because It didn’t allow you to know! Other days I get sad and then angry again and the merry go round I can’t jump off of!! When does this ever ever end?

I feel like a therapist can’t help me with my struggle. I don’t know how to stop the mindF cycle. Someone please tell me how!

Last edited by LostAtSea (May 10, 2022 5:35 pm)

May 10, 2022 5:41 pm  #6

LostAtSea wrote:

.....I feel like a therapist can’t help me with my struggle. I don’t know how to stop the mindF cycle. Somehow tell me how!

Well the first thing you could do was forget the abbreviated word and just call it Mindfuck

The second step is moving away from focussing on what he did, what he said and not letting it get to you. Which is really hard, don't get me wrong...I'll be the first to tell you it's mind-numbingly demanding to stop the words/thoughts going round in your head and build a wall between the stuff you're sick of thinking about him and the mindful attention you should be giving yourself. 
I started with a simple phrase "it doesn't matter anymore" which was a mantra I'd say to myself whenever I was triggered by 'something' he said or did. But in saying that...I'm aware that even before the mantra my thinking changed, a feeling that what was happening to me was just so wrong that I had to change it.
Time with a counsellor is invaluable

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

May 10, 2022 7:21 pm  #7

Delete

Last edited by Lynne (July 15, 2022 6:16 pm)

May 10, 2022 8:17 pm  #8

If it wasn't that so many of us express how distressing it is it would be easy for me to believe it's a personal quirk but it isn't, it's basic, nobody likes being lied to, nobody likes being tricked, con men don't like being tricked, it's not just what you are tricked out of, it's also the basic thing of having your reality map discredited - we all have this feeling of wanting to know what's what - not know everything, that's not the point but what you do know you want it to be correct.  If grass isn't green and rain isn't wet then I would have that all wrong.  and I'd want to know that.

In our daily lives we meet people, we talk to their persona, we interact on a surface level and then we walk away.  That is a whole different ball of wax to being married.  I will just talk about my ex here - Mr Nice Guy IS NOT REAL.  Finally I realised I was interacting with a sock puppet he held on one hand and the whole of him was there standing behind it.  

Once I took this on board, that the real person was there, and I'd been married to a sock puppet, I could see how he had manipulated me.  As I was already into the process of separation it helped a lot because I could understand what he actually wanted - by not listening to what the sock puppet was saying but tuning in to the real person behind it.

oh and I'd just like to add - once I stopped responding to the sock puppet and talked to him instead I became fundamentally disinteresting for him to talk to and he went on to find new people to trick.

Last edited by lily (May 10, 2022 8:22 pm)

May 11, 2022 3:27 pm  #9

One of the articles posted here -- I kind of think it was a NYT article about betrayal trauma -- had a good observation that really rang true to me.  The person who's been lied to has to re-create the narrative of their life, going back however long, and these little details that come back to haunt us are all individual traumas -- every time we realize "Oh NOW I understand, that was always false..."  The person who's been doing the lying has an easier time moving forward, because they always knew their true life story.  

Another thing that I think was really difficult for many of us: particularly with very lengthy marriages, our natural instinct for however many years has been to turn to this person for help.  Even knowing about the betrayal, there's a period where you reflexively reach out to your "support system" for answers.  And it takes time for us to reconfigure the building blocks of our personality, to switch from seeing that person as our "soulmate" and "best friend" and understand that they regard us as an adversary to be manipulated.

Chumplady has good advice here: stop asking for explanations, stop seeking "closure" or anything of that nature.  They have long ago mentally switched from "partner" to "adversary" and you have some catching up to do here.

May 11, 2022 4:05 pm  #10

Lost,
 What helped me was, first and foremost, leaving and divorcing him.  Not living with him made a difference, and severing our legal relationship made an even bigger one.  Extracting myself from his toxic soup instead of marinating it allowed me to begin clearing my head of the ongoing mindfuck. Chump Lady has a saying that expecting a cheater to make sense or speak honestly is like putting your head in a blender.  It's true of our situations with gay/trans spouses as well (and double if they're cheating!).  

There are cognitive techniques like re-framing, which allowed me to move from self recrimination (like "Why didn't I see it?" or "Could I have done something?"  or "If only I'd....[fill in the blank]") or wondering how he could have kept his secret life from me, to helpful mantras like "I didn't see it because he was an expert at deception" to "It's not me, it's him."  Once I had the truth I reframed him from my formerly rosy view of him to a more accurate perception.  

I also wrote in a my journal about this endlessly, so I could, as the op-ed walkbymyself refers to says, "re-write the narrative of my life."  

And, I learned about narcissism, entitlement, the abuser's  tactics (like minimization, devaluation, gaslighting, DARVO, etc), and boundaries.  All of that helped me change my mindset.  Chump Lady and Omar Minwalla were very helpful to me.  

Also, and this sounds trite--but life did not stand still.  Other concerns stepped in to take over (my elderly mother's decline).  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (May 11, 2022 4:08 pm)

Board footera