OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2022 4:24 pm  #1

LGBTQ issues and the bloodshed in Ukraine

I respect that this is not a political website but this news article pertains to LGBTQ  issues and is stunningly sad. I have been appalled that during Lent - the holiest of times - Christians are killing Christians in 2022. I have tried to find out what religious leaders are saying and doing: 

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-putin-news-03-08-22/h_de0516e0f59ac2214af21bbb0aaf152e.

Last edited by Abby (March 15, 2022 4:24 pm)

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

March 15, 2022 6:57 pm  #2

Re: LGBTQ issues and the bloodshed in Ukraine

Hi Abby,

The link is broken for me. Is this about LGBTQ parades in the Ukraine & the Russian Orthodox Church?

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

March 16, 2022 2:00 am  #3

Abby wrote:

I respect that this is not a political website ,..

It's not an LGBTQ website either

KIA KAHA                       

March 16, 2022 6:28 am  #4

The reason I tried to posted it here is because there was a blaming of the West and Pride parades for what was cast as an existential culture war by the head of the Russian Orthodox Church.

My personal belief is that the silence about LGBTQ lives when I was growing up enabled me to miss clues that my boyfriend/fiance/husband/ex was not straight. That same refusal to acknowledge these feelings exist and to accept them led him to try to suppress and conceal his orientation. My hope is that a more
accepting society will spare others the pain and lost years we went through.  .

Here's a final attempt to try to get the link to work:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/14/europe/patriarch-kirill-putin-spiritual-battle-intl-cmd/index.html

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

March 16, 2022 2:25 pm  #5

Hi Abby, that was an interesting link, thanks for posting it.

There always has to be a holy reason given to the population for war, doesn't there.

Personally I reject the notion that society is to blame for the closet.  I mean I really do.  Children don't grow up under social pressure to hide their gay feelings, they grow up under pressure from their closeted parent to do it.  If little Johnny shows his gay feelings he blows a hole in the cover of Mr Johnny.  

And Mrs Johnny is the innocent victim in this, over and again we find the straight is supportive of gay people - I don't think it's that society has to become more accepting of gay so much as more informed about the closet.  

The trouble with all the gay pride from a social perspective is that it comes along with pushing all the gaslighting of the closet - it's getting harder for a straight to avoid the closet with all the bisexual talk.

It's not social pressure that makes the closet, it's a selfish individual.

And we are all left trying to cope with the impossible.

A straight needs someone of the opposite sex and a gay needs someone of the same sex just as much - so here's the litmus test - has legalising same sex marriage stopped one single closet dude from tricking a straight into marriage?  well gut instinct, what do you think?  my gut says no.  It's not about social pressure, these are selfish people no matter how much charm they have.

Board footera