OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2022 6:59 pm  #1

New Our Path Podcast: Marta Kauffman, Creator of Grace & Frankie

The link's halfway down the page - https://ourpath.org/

Have never watched the show - don't want to be triggered. I enjoyed the interview though. Good to be reminded that Ross's first wife on Friends left him for a woman.

Side note: I took a required "easy-A" class as an undergrad at a University of California campus in the late 80s. (Not showing off, but explaining how I could get great access to rare reference materials in the school library.) My research paper was about the history of gay liberation in San Francisco in the 1970s.  Lily Tomlin was pictured participating in lesbian rights marches in a gay political organization newsletter. I told my straight female  roommate I thought Lily Tomlin was gay. She didn't believe me.  It felt weird to be dismissed so never told anyone else.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 1, 2022 8:36 pm  #2

Re: New Our Path Podcast: Marta Kauffman, Creator of Grace & Frankie

I watched Grace and Frankie. Loved it. Then it just became more salt to the wound when what was happening to my life became more obvious

I've stopped watching the podcasts. It all seems to becoming a bit too gay

KIA KAHA                       

February 2, 2022 9:15 am  #3

I don't think that I would enjoy the podcasts

February 2, 2022 12:09 pm  #4

It's a big deal to get an accomplished, successful woman like Marta Kauffman to do an interview. I thought I'd point it out for that reason & it was a good podcast. I assume others are like me who listen to the podcasts sporadically.

I listened to this one recently- S2 Ep 18: My Life As a Beard. This woman tells the unvarnished truth about being gaslighted and abused by her GIDXH.  It was the best podcast out of all of them.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

February 2, 2022 12:52 pm  #5

MJM017 wrote:

It's a big deal to get an accomplished, successful woman like Marta Kauffman to do an interview. I thought I'd point it out for that reason & it was a good podcast.....

Absolutely Mj 😊 if you have an accomplished creator, the best scriptwriters, popular actors and a truckload of money to throw at a series that portrays a life experience of a spouse coming out as gay you can camouflage the confusion, the anger, sadness and loss of what we, as true straightspouses feel... you can cover it (rather like a beard?) with all the bling, makeup and scene-setting at the beach that your contract allows

But hey, after all.... let's be real, we're not talking about reality. This is a moneymaking and ratings business

KIA KAHA                       

February 4, 2022 10:50 pm  #6

Elle, Most television sitcoms feature good looking people in nice places. It attracts the most viewers. No one wants to watch what we are going through. It's not pretty or funny.

I watched a snippet of Grace and Frankie today.  It was triggering like I thought it would be.

Last edited by MJM017 (February 5, 2022 1:33 am)

February 5, 2022 4:56 am  #7

MJM017 wrote:

Elle, Most television sitcoms feature good looking people in nice places. It attracts the most viewers. No one wants to watch what we are going through. It's not pretty or funny.

I know I know... And just about every series or movie made these days has a token same sex element. In fact... I expect it now.
It's just another way to attract viewers.
Graphic violence, strong language, sex scenes, LGBTQ.

But what a powerful impact if our story, our truth were told, all our pain laid bare, our strength shining, not hidden behind the men and women hiding their 'authenticity' from everyone else

Oh man it's a late night ramble.... lol
Night all

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 5, 2022 8:27 am  #8

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

But what a powerful impact if our story, our truth were told, all our pain laid bare, our strength shining, not hidden behind the men and women hiding their 'authenticity' from everyone else

Night all

Elle

We have some talented writers here & someone at Our Path (Kristin Kalbli, perhaps) made a connection with Marta Kauffman. The elements are there. Another great idea, Elle! 👍🎥

February 5, 2022 1:23 pm  #9

In order to speak about the pain we experience we have to say a straight needs another straight - bisexual will not do.  And to say that is to run counter to story of the moment - the world according to bisexual women.

February 15, 2022 12:09 am  #10

MJM017 wrote:

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

Night all

Elle

We have some talented writers here.... The elements are there.

That sounds nice. I feel like it's a bit of a dream at this point because of selective listening, but someday I hope some will listen.

I've really thought about adding something on this to my professional life "to do" list-- which has always focused on environmental/climate issues. And then I wonder, what's more important? Will actions on either make a difference? (What time frame do we have given climate change?) Do people listen? And we can go to various subfields of psychology for some of the answers we already know. But simply to elevate it to an accepted cultural topic and welcome perspective would be great progress.

And while climate issues "everyone"* can get on board with, I'd think there'd be an outspoken, vehement and vitriolic backlash to those who do try to share this (as JK Rowling, cancel culture, other examples show-- and the insertion of LGBTQ issues into everything).

I don't think that I could handle the vitriol. The experience already semi-broke my soul (for now). And I've always felt silenced *by those I know*-- let alone strangers. How many others don't have the fortitude to try to convey it? Are already too broken?

I guess all it takes is a few talented people though, and people who will listen.

Last edited by clintonia (February 15, 2022 12:11 am)

Board footera