OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2022 2:15 am  #1

The day my earth shattered

I've been married nearly 12 years, have 2 beautiful boys and until today what seemed like a perfect life.

A couple of years ago, we moved to a beautiful place. It was super stressful - our home wouldn't sell, etc. Anyway, things finally worked out after a long haul, and life was set. Throughout the stress, life was still amazing. We did SO much as a family, we had done more in 2 years together than all of them before that. We bought an amazing house and life was just about perfect.

In December, my wife was hit with depression... like badly. Normally, we are eachothers rock - we're always there to lift eachother up. This seemed different, she said she wasn't sure how to vocalize how she was feeling and she started seeing a therapist.

Today, 11:50 am, my earth shattered. She told me that she was gay. I'm floored. This his me like a ton of bricks. My life, dreams, everything - in the snap of a finger, gone.

Most ended marriages go through messy periods, the writing is on the wall by the end. Both parties have an opportunity to make things better if they want to.... but not this. There's not really an option here.

My brain has been spiraling all day. "WAKE UP! It's a dream, wake up!". We have talked. All day, we've talked. My brain desperately trying to grasp what's going on. Like "we can fix this!", all the well knowing that we can't. My heart is broken, my marriage ended today. I still have my best friend, we both still love each other as much as we did yesterday. I wish that I had the capacity to help her through what she is about to deal with, but I'm barely holding it together. I'm devastated, terrified, feeling horrible for our kids. But I'm not mad. There's not any part of this that's her "choice". In some ways, it makes it harder. But this is better, this will make for an easier separation and our kids don't deserve any more stress than they are about to get rocked with.

We discussed an open marriage, with the intention of slowly separating. I've got to think about this when I'm less emotional. In theory, it sounds like a much better plan than slamming into a brick wall. The problem is that I still love my wife. She is my everything. I don't want to be alone, but I don't want to be with anyone else. I'm worried it will crush me to find out she is on a date.

I just want the pain to go away already, and this has just started.

I wish I could rewind life a day. I'd have got one more big "married" hug and kiss. Just gone on one more adventure with the family, before this bomb hit and the dynamic changes.

I feel lost and alone. I haven't slept away from my wife for years. I haven't gone a day without kissing her. I'm laying in the spare room, just lost. This is the worst day of my life... and it's just beginning.

Last edited by Islander (January 31, 2022 2:33 am)

January 31, 2022 9:17 am  #2

Re: The day my earth shattered

Hello Islander, a sad welcome. This is difficult, things have changed and there is nothing about it that was your doing and nothing you can undo. This one part drew my attention;

" We discussed an open marriage, with the intention of slowly separating. I've got to think about this when I'm less emotional. In theory, it sounds like a much better plan than slamming into a brick wall. The problem is that I still love my wife. She is my everything. I don't want to be alone, but I don't want to be with anyone else. I'm worried it will crush me to find out she is on a date."

I would be very cautious about moving into this direction. Many of us have found our spouses eagerly jump ahead of us while we are still trying to find our feet, feeling that we still have an emotional commitment to them and are still taking our marriage vows seriously. I expect that what you fear will happen, faster than you are ready for it.

If you have decided that separation and eventual divorce is how this will have to go, I would suggest that first, press pause. Catch your breath, allow yourself some time to adjust to this new reality. Then seek legal advice or look up the process for your jurisdiction. If you are not antagonistic, you may be able to save on lawyers fees by doing most of the negotiation between yourselves. Save the legal part for an overview and filing the right information. Until you have some emotional separation from your spouse, I would caution on opening the marriage. It may have the effect of keeping you stuck and feeling unworthy. For as long as you still live in the same home, some rules should be drawn up. Otherwise you might find yourself being the one at home, doing 99% of the parenting, while your spouse is out and about til the wee hours, discovering her new self and creating new relationships.

Good luck and be well.
p.s. - find someone you can confide in and come here to talk as often as you need to.

Last edited by Daryl (January 31, 2022 9:20 am)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

January 31, 2022 12:48 pm  #3

Islander,

Yes you are in shock.   When I found out I had gone white as a ghost.. its like getting his by a bus because we build our lives around these spouses...they are our everything.

First thing as Daryl said is to pause..  Get your groundings.   Start building a support system.   Read the first aid thread here.       It may feel foreign and strange to seek help outside of our spouse but it's necessary... its necessary to get help from someone that is not actively hurting you.    You need not decide anything about your marriage now but you can seek help when you need it most.

It took me sometime to realize that world did not revolve around my gay ex spouse  (GX).   Some time to realize that she had no problem actively hurting me with a clear conscious.  Turned out she was not a god, a demi-god, a queen or omnipotent being..  but rather a very hurtful and broken human.

Your boys will need a strong and fierce father.  Someone that puts them first... sadly your wife is not it.  Know that you can recover and be okay.   The support system you build now will help you recover and be there for your kids..  

Wishing you strength and fortitude.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 31, 2022 3:29 pm  #4

Islander, 
   Another reason not to agree to open your marriage (or to go outside your marriage) is that it might matter legally in a divorce.  Please take the advice you've been given and go see a lawyer.  If you hesitate to take what looks like a decisive step towards divorce, it might help to think of a consultation with a family law attorney as fact-finding, information-seeking, at a time when your world has been upended.  Finding out what your rights are and what behavior you should avoid does not obligate you to divorce, it merely gives you important guidance if you later decide to divorce--it's good to know about things like moving out of the marital house, which can be construed as abandonment and used against you, or sleeping with your wife if she reveals she has a girlfriend already, which can mean you can't file for a "fault" divorce. 

January 31, 2022 5:51 pm  #5

Agreed with OoHC, also child support, possible custody arrangements, property division. There's much to learn about. I would suggest making no big changes to your relationship and home life until you know what direction you are heading.

With the possible exception of separate sleeping arrangements. This is to aid you in emotionally decoupling and to give you a space where you can find any necessary solitude or escape.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

February 1, 2022 12:50 am  #6

Thanks everyone, for the support. It's nice to see some rational and level headed comments, while my brain is spinning.

Every thought in the world has gone through my mind today... my brain always goes to a "fix it!" place. When in reality, there's nothing to fix.

I've moved into the spare room. We've talked about so much. How we could maybe make this work - we do still love eachother, we've been faithful, we have a really great life! Part of me wants to believe that with some open mindedness and willing to try to find out how to make us work, maybe we can stay together. We have discussed this, as she said "I don't want to believe this!", she also loves the life we have made. We have a romantic attraction.

The other part of me clearly sees the other 80% chance that this is over. She is obviously feeling a newly found urge that she wants to act on. The rational part of me knows that each day should be one step closer to separation... but first I need to get out of this state of shock.

The good thing is that I truly believe the separation will be as "clean" as possible. We are both 100% on board with 50/50 custody, which is HUGE. Money... well, it matters and it doesn't. We lost a lot of it in our move, there's not a lot left. She has a decent job, I've got a little bit higher paying job. Either way though, it won't be enough to come close to a lifestyle of combined income.

This morning I heard the pitter patter of my kid's feet, which woke me from my 3 hours of sleep, and for an instant I had forgotten about it all. Then I opened my eyes and remembered I was in the spare room. It wasn't just a nightmare. What a bummer.

February 1, 2022 10:42 am  #7

Islander, I agree with everyone. Take a moment to pause. You  will have so many discussions. It will be a roller coaster of emotions. Take it from me, the open marriage solution will only work for a short time. Don't do it! My GID husband talked me into an open marriage about a year ago! I tried it against my better judgement and it caused so many problems.  It's a tough path because it sounds like you also have a younger kids. Try to take day by day and don't make any emotional decisions right now.  

February 4, 2022 3:25 pm  #8

Islander,

Your story is similar to mine. After 13 yrs. together, married for 10, my husband, completely out of the blue, told me he was attracted to men. I thought we had the perfect marriage, and we were both happy. We stayed together for another 9 months, and then he finally told me he was gay and that's how he wanted to live his life. That he was happy with me, but not happy enough.

I thought he was my best friend and was devastated for everything I was losing. I was sorry to put our child through this situation. I hoped to somehow keep our friendship.
He moved out 9 months ago, and things have not been easy. I have so many emotions; I don't think love is one of them anymore. 
The person I used to know is gone. I cannot understand how a person can live as straight for 44 yrs, marry twice, and finally decide it's time to be true to himself, without having hid other traits of their personality as well. Now I'm left to deal with a person who puts his interests above our child's. I wish I never had to see/deal with him, but I have to because of our child. Co-parenting is not going well.
Good luck on your journey.

February 5, 2022 12:49 pm  #9

Hi Islander,

Sorry for your pain, it is horrendous but I think it is clean and merciful compared to the anodyne she offers in believing her that she feels a romantic attraction to you.  She might love the life you have built together but I strongly suggest that it is a case of cupboard love not romantic love she has for you.

Yes, me too, I agree with everyone else - don't agree to opening up the marriage, see how she reacts to that.  It will give you a good test of who she is and how she is treating you.

March 24, 2022 3:20 pm  #10

This is such an intensely emotional process. I feel so badly for all of us here! I thought I was alone, but realizing others are experiencing this sickening rollercoaster too!? Ugh

I never knew a human body could dwell in such a state of sadness, loss, confusion, grief, self doubt, fear, anger, disappointment,  and still... LOVE

My best friend, partner for life, husband, soul mate, everything- has come out after 21 years together. All of which I charrished to the fullest extent.  Believing in myself, him, our partnership. It's absolutely soul crushing. Overwhelming. 

Life is difficult.  I didn't understand until this happened.
I still don't understand anything!!

Cheers to all of us for getting up in the morning. For breathing. For putting one foot in front of the other.

Hopefully life really does go on, hopefully our pain can make us better people.

Board footera