OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2022 6:40 am  #1

He just agreed to divorce

I’ve been posting about what I thought would be a bisexual mixed marriage - another one bites the dust. The more I read here and got feedback, the more I asked him good questions. Before this I talked to him as of he’s got the same goal as me, a happy marriage for us both. Coming here I started talking to him as if he’s aimed at keeping me here, appeasing me in the ways I value, so his life doesn’t have to change.

Yesterday we had a four hour talk. He’s at a hotel this week because he needed to get through the stress of quitting his job and all our drama. He had a lot of Christmas/birthday and bonus money he didn’t spend for years. His mental health trip turned into the end of our marriage. I don’t think he could have been this honest with me face to face - he has a long pattern of needing to be away to open up at all.

Yesterday he was admitting more that he’s way more on the male attraction side of the spectrum. Not mostly straight with thoughts that bother him. I already knew that! He admitted that he doesn’t want to die without having some kind of sexual time with a guy. He feels like he can’t handle never having that. And I’ve said that marriage with me has to be monogamous.

But our marriage was so abusive all along. He sees that he’s just like Ryan (Sean) in the podcast interview. He puts his comfort and secrets first, taking out  all the blame and pain on me.

When he kept trying to offer more ways that we can have a good marriage, I finally said, “I want you to let me get off this roller coaster. The kids and I can’t go with you on this ride any longer.” I reminded him that he’s recently been diagnosed with years and years of depression - that’s affected the kids and I! He’s been an irritable loner the whole marriage due to depression. I’ve centered my energy around accommodating that stuff and the whole time it was depression!

Now I’m incredibly sad but hopeful. I barely slept last night. I’m taking care of 5 kids and he’s staying away for the weekend now instead of coming home today. I’m so afraid of how my kids will take this. They’ve grown up in fundamentalist churches that don’t allow divorce, until we left church in 2020. I want to do this for them but I’m terrified of what it will be like.

January 28, 2022 8:09 am  #2

Re: He just agreed to divorce

You have left your fundamentalist church but you have not left your faith. You are attending another church. one in which you and your children can develop a different relationship with God, a loving one.

I also was raised in a fundamentalist church, though far from one as strict as yours. It took a long time to see God in terms of "thou shall"s instead of "thou shall not"s. My relationship with God has gotten me through the break up of my marriage, the divorce, and becoming loving and not bitter,

You won't be alone going forward. 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

January 28, 2022 11:25 am  #3

Seconding Abby's well-written response. The same is true for me.

You have a lot of courage to move on this so quickly, LMM.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

January 28, 2022 12:05 pm  #4

Oh LMM - I am so sorry you are here! You have bravely decided to stand up for yourself and your children. I agree with Abby's response. God has NOT left you. This pandemic has taught me that my relationship with God is not based on belonging to a religious organization. It's a reflection of how I know it is only God to help me get through the tough times of life. Continue to take day by day.

I'm new to this group, but I have gained so much insight to ask the right questions to my GID husband. I started out thinking I could be content in a Mixed-Orientation Marriage. We have 3 children and he wants 'everything' to remain the same. I would be in a situation against my foundational principles and still have a void. I am tired of accommodating and bending to his needs to abandon my desires for our marriage. I am empathetic that he has internal struggles, but it's become manipulative. I tried to make it work for a year, and I can't take it anymore. I finally opened up to a trusted friend. I also have a therapist to help me get through this time. Most importantly, I've hired an attorney to help me work through the divorce agreement. My GID husband is traveling until April. I realize how much mental peace and clarity I now have. This path is not an easy journey, but I believe this is the right path for me.  

You are already seeing brighter days! Yes, I believe we both will have sad days but there is hope and unexpected blessings on the other side of all of this! 

Last edited by gwendolyn_C (January 28, 2022 12:07 pm)

February 9, 2022 9:11 pm  #5

Gwendolyn,
You’re in such a similar place to me! How are the separation plans going for you? I feel the same about understanding that it’s emotionally hard for the husbands but also thinking that’s sometime manipulative. Or even sometimes not manipulative, but just a truly hard thing that I’ll no longer bend around. I spent all these years trying to accommodate his feelings and now it’s happening less!

He wanted to wait a lot longer to tell the kids about us divorcing. But I’ve been pushing him to just get that part over. I know for him it’s like the final thing that makes it real. I want that finality! He keeps trying to find ways we can stay together, when he’s in a certain mindset. Then other times he says he knows it’ll never work. I’ve been reminding him that his mistreatment of me is the main reason I don’t want to stay together - it’s about that more than him being gay!

We’re going to tell the kids in 3 days, Saturday the 12th. I’m nervous about how they’ll react. But I want to move into this phase of everyone knowing and processing together.

February 28, 2022 10:02 pm  #6

I'm coming on to post an update. We told our kids 3 weeks ago, and I was really proud of how my husband stepped up to lay it out there. He told them we're getting a divorce because he's realized that he's gay. He feels bad for marrying me when he shouldn't have married a woman at all. Then we explained to them that they'll stay in the house with me, he'll live nearby and help pay bills. They're ages 5-16, so I was amazed when all 5 kids stayed focused during the long talk. Teary eyed sometimes, but they all asked such great questions. 

My 8-yr-old son is really hung up on it being weird that Daddy will be with a man if he dates. Yesterday I overheard him saying to his dad, "So if you guys both remarry, it'll be two stepdads. And of mom dies, then we have THREE DADS?!" He's really processing! 

My husband signed papers and put $$ down on an apartment 2 miles away. He'll move in a month, April 1st. Somehow all my anxiety melted away when the kids knew. I feel so relaxed with my husband, no more feeling crazy and powerless all the time. He never does anything that makes me feel insane or blamed. The kids aren't mad or sad, but instead relieved. The 3 older ones keep saying they're glad Dad can make himself a happy life now, and they always blamed themselves for his emotional roller coaster. They felt like something was wrong their whole lives, but never imagined this. The younger kids are excited for sleepovers at his apartment, and totally fine that he's moving out! All the kids smile and laugh ten times more now! They play goofy games and my teens hang around with me instead of staying in their rooms all day. It's like sunshine came into them. 

Last week, he told me it's painful to see that his kids are this happy when he's leaving. I said something about how close he'll be, so it doesn't feel like loss. I was thinking that it's because he's never been emotionally connected to any of us! He said to me, "Maybe it's because I was always sleeping and watching TV. I never really did things with them like you do. I just tried to stay away from them because I'm annoyed by kid stuff." My whole body had a rush of excitement, hearing him say that out loud!! It's what broke my heart all these years. I pushed him so hard to do things, but he was depressed and sulky. 

Right now the big issue is finding a job. I've never had a real full time job. I have a Masters in counseling, so I could earn good money somewhere - but I'm not licensed to do therapy. I'm interviewing at entry level jobs, wondering how I'll get my kids to their medical appointments every day. We have 2-5 every day during business hours! I won't earn enough to pay someone to take them. Leaving our church 2 years ago means we have no friends now. No responses yet from work from home jobs. I'm praying for something to work out, maybe a barter system with someone who could drive them. 

February 28, 2022 11:00 pm  #7

LMM wrote:

......Right now the big issue is finding a job. I've never had a real full time job. I have a Masters in counseling, so I could earn good money somewhere - but I'm not licensed to do therapy. ... 

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could become a Straightspouse counselor!

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 28, 2022 11:05 pm  #8

Glad it has been a relief for you all, thats good.

If your husband will be nearby can't he share the transport to appointments ... you will now both be working so he should step up.

Don't let him off the hook for all parental responsibility, that's not at all fair on you.  Be careful you don't take on all the burdens so he can fly and be free.

Make sure the financial arrangements are legally sound and watertight and don't forget about college funds. Not saying he will, but a lot of us have experienced exes going back on their promises of financial help.

I wish you all the very best ❤

March 1, 2022 9:42 am  #9

Soaplife, thanks for the good input. I’m actually kind of struggling to discern his best role. He’s going to get a second and maybe third job so he can earn money to pay for his part of the bills. So he’s less available than me for kid time. But also he’s not caring and able to handle their bickering or kid behavior - he gets really triggered and can’t handle it. Then they take the brunt of his overreacting and they feel bad. I’m happy that he won’t have much time with them anymore. I’ve always wondered if his behavior to them is emotional abuse.

We currently don’t make enough to afford his new rent bill, even though it’s very cheap and a tiny apartment in a bad neighborhood. If he gets evening and weekend work he can pay his rent and our housing, plus a couple extra bills of ours. And then I’ll pay some of our bills, utilities, heat, food. Which now seems impossible at the entry level jobs where I’m interviewing!

Part of our church culture was to serve people and not store up anything. So we’ve lived 18 years on his very small nonprofit salary, with no insurance until lately.  I didn’t work because it wasn’t godly in that culture. I homeschooled the kids. I learned to give them haircuts, make our food from scratch, make rugs and all sorts of money saving things!

Now he keeps saying we’re too poor to get separated. I keep replying, “I’ll cancel our streaming channels and  cut the food to basics again if we need, and I think we’ll get through.” I don’t want him to have that excuse! I want him to see I’m willing to sacrifice to live apart.

Last edited by LMM (March 1, 2022 9:44 am)

March 1, 2022 10:40 am  #10

Start looking into what public benefits may be available to you as a single parent. In the US food assistance is called SNAP now and each state will have information about it online for how it works there.

Good that you already have housing lined up for both of you because that's usually the hard one.

Look into your state's Medical Assistance program: the information is probably on the same website as the SNAP information. If your children have disabilities look into childhood SSI benefits which will be explained at the federal Social Security website.

Find out how to enroll them in your local school system and what testing/evaluations will be done to meet their individual needs. 

If there is a local group serving domestic violence survivors it probably can suggest more local helps even if you think you do not need their services.

Step out to step up. 

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

Board footera