OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2022 7:36 pm  #11

Re: Any tips on how to not relive the trauma in your head?

Lost,

I would echo the other comment that mentioned PTSD. I am going on 6 months since the day my world came crashing down and it isn’t better. 

A little background for perspective before I get to my main point: I believe very strongly in medical science and medication. I have had the opportunity to learn the physical causes behind depression and some other mental illnesses, and to learn the science behind why medications can help. 100% I believe in pharmaceuticals. That being said, I also know that pharma companies are for the most part unethical, and they are  the reason that medical marijuana is not more widely approved or prescribed.

The reason I bring this up is that last week I got a medical marijuana card to treat my PTSD caused by this situation. I took the advice of a good friend in a different state who attests that the med marijuana took her from 5 psych RXs to 2. I have never ever smoked pot in my life. But this pain is hard. I have been through a major depressive episode and was on disability for 7 years because of it. And still, this  trauma is a different animal.

I haven’t gone to the dispensary yet. So I can’t say first hand yet if this will help. But if you are struggling and feel out of options, maybe this can help. My psych is extremely conservative and wouldn’t even consider such an avenue. But I found a wonderful locally based organization through which I could see a doctor to determine if I actually had PTSD, she then to see a doctor to rx the med marijuana. They were so helpful with the whole process and very supportive. I did first ask my divorce attorney if this would make me look bad and she said not at all. It’s a legal treatment in my state, and I am not even responsible for any minor children.

I wish you all the best and hope that it you are not seeing a psychiatrist (whether MD or NP) that you make an appointment.  Take advantage of the miracle or modern medical science.

February 12, 2022 7:46 pm  #12

Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the responses.

I have actually thought about CBD gummies just to try. I have never smoked weed in my life so not sure how I will react to it.

Life has been good as in my head has sometimes stop spinning. Work has literally kept me sane.

I know I have PTSD even without a diagnosis. I’ve never been really depressed or had anxiety until all this started. I have moments of flashbacks playing in my head and it’s weird most when I’m alone doing happy things like shopping and treating myself or groceries to cook my favorite meals. I “talk” to myself and remind myself to snap out of it and live my life.

I am so glad to be away from “it”. Looking forward to better days!

February 12, 2022 8:14 pm  #13

Can’t_make_this_up wrote:

The reason I bring this up is that last week I got a medical marijuana card to treat my PTSD caused by this situation. I took the advice of a good friend in a different state who attests that the med marijuana took her from 5 psych RXs to 2. I have never ever smoked pot in my life. But this pain is hard. I have been through a major depressive episode and was on disability for 7 years because of it. And still, this  trauma is a different animal.

I haven’t gone to the dispensary yet. So I can’t say first hand yet if this will help. But if you are struggling and feel out of options, maybe this can help. .

Wanted to build onto this. I was a medical marijuana consultant before I had kids, and it is indeed a miracle plant! Different strains are good for treating different symptoms, and there’s a lot more to it than just THC and CBD. What you want to pay attention to are the terpenes, not just the THC count. There’s a lot of info out there, but one good example is limonene, which is also found in citrus and has an uplifting/happy effect. Leafly.com is an excellent resource if you want to learn more about terpenes and strains.

February 13, 2022 7:40 am  #14

Hopeless Romantic Wrote:
Wanted to build onto this. I was a medical marijuana consultant before I had kids, and it is indeed a miracle plant! Different strains are good for treating different symptoms, and there’s a lot more to it than just THC and CBD. What you want to pay attention to are the terpenes, not just the THC count. There’s a lot of info out there, but one good example is limonene, which is also found in citrus and has an uplifting/happy effect. Leafly.com is an excellent resource if you want to learn more about terpenes and strains.

Reply from Can’t Make This Up:
Thank you so much for this information. I will definitely get on Leafly.com. It’s very important to me to make an educated decision.

February 13, 2022 7:47 am  #15

LostAtSea wrote:

Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the responses.

I have actually thought about CBD gummies just to try. I have never smoked weed in my life so not sure how I will react to it.

Life has been good as in my head has sometimes stop spinning. Work has literally kept me sane.

I know I have PTSD even without a diagnosis. I’ve never been really depressed or had anxiety until all this started. I have moments of flashbacks playing in my head and it’s weird most when I’m alone doing happy things like shopping and treating myself or groceries to cook my favorite meals. I “talk” to myself and remind myself to snap out of it and live my life.

I am so glad to be away from “it”. Looking forward to better days!

I would really suggest that you talk with a medical provider or other professional before trying the gummies. There is a lot that ‘virgins’ like you and me don’t know about marijuana, and I’ve been told that medical is quite different from recreational, etc.  The reason I say this is that you mentioned the gummies, and the doctor I spoke with said edibles are probably not the best choice for me because they are slower acting, and one of the drawbacks with that is that is that it is harder to gauge your effective dose. Just be sure to do some research first so you know your best options.

Board footera