OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2022 1:26 pm  #1

Any tips on how to not relive the trauma in your head?

It’s been over a year since my ambushed phone call that turned my life around.

I have better days more now than before; however my mind keeps going there.

I have a therapist who’s been the most effective so far; however I don’t think “effective” enough. It’s the thoughts and reliving the trauma that gives me moments of sadness and not able to focus on my new “life”.

Today is the 1yr anniversary that I secretly removed all my belongings and shipped then without the other knowing how I got out. Till this day the other has no freakin clue and never even bothered to ask.

I am grateful to a have made it this far but I feel like a broken record in my mind.

How have you all moved past that part to stop replying the trauma and the hurt? Will this really ever go away?

January 18, 2022 4:37 pm  #2

Re: Any tips on how to not relive the trauma in your head?

Delete

Last edited by Lynne (July 15, 2022 6:19 pm)

January 18, 2022 6:08 pm  #3

Hi LAS,

Congrats on the one year anniversary.  Here's a virtual pat on the back from me celebrating your courage.

My therapist suggested EFT tapping to relieve fear and anxiety. I listen to music or meditate. Then I take my right index and middle fingers and tap my left shoulder and right shoulder repeatedly for 2-3 minutes.  I do this daily first thing in the morning. It took a few days before it started to work.

Here's a short blurb on it -

https://www.webmd.com/balance/what-is-eft-tapping

I write down my emotions on paper for a few minutes when the ruminating doesn't stop. I don't judge my emotions as I keep writing. 

There's also the boring stuff like getting enough sleep, eating well and exercising for at least 30 minutes/ 5x weekly.

Hope the symptoms decrease soon. ❤️‍🩹

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

January 23, 2022 11:59 am  #4

It has a name: Post-Traumatic Relationship Syndrome. It's so exhausting and makes you feel so useless. I felt like Miss Havisham from Dickens's Great Expectations. I think we are not too different, both victims of cruel conmen and our minds too brittle to process the betrayal. The clock in your brain does stop when the one you trusted most drops a giant bombshell of deceit.  

Unless they've got 'Dr' in front of their name...... don't talk to them. They can prescribe medication to ease your suffering (help you sleep, cut the brain hyperactivity etc) but also diagnose the problem and create an effective treatment programme. "Talking about it" is woke BS.. it usually disturbs memories that should be left alone. All it does is irritate matters. 

Don't try and make sense of what happened. You where with a deeply disturbed manipulative conman. Those who try to understand the behaviours of messed up people become messed up themselves. A therapist told me 'understanding is forgiving' - woke BS! Like all my problems would be solved once I achieved this. I could write a dissertation on why men do this..... my conclusion is it's not a forgivable offence and my recovery does not require my forgiving him! I'm just angry that a therapist had me convinced it did. 

If you hate him, that doesn't make you a bad person, he screwed you over, you do not owe him any feelings of understanding or compassion. Do not shame yourself for feelings which are completely natural. If you feel angry all the time... that's the PTRS... again don't shame yourself for it.... 

Last edited by ExBeard (January 23, 2022 12:04 pm)

January 24, 2022 9:14 am  #5

I was angry when I found out my ex boyfriend is gay. The anger lasted awhile. My therapist did help but I think what helped more was that I feel in love and got married. Now, I am not angry at the ex gay man. Be as angry as you need to be and I wish you the best.

January 24, 2022 12:11 pm  #6

LostAtSea, it can take a while for the "reliving" to stop.  I think it probably depends on how long you were together.  In my case, the obsessive flashbacks lasted for about eighteen months.  I still have anger and spend far too much time dwelling on things, but it's not like before.  

I agree with ExBeard, don't listen to friends or whatever -- in my case, I needed prescription meds to get me to stop clawing at my scalp at night when I was half-asleep and unaware of what my hands were doing.  I still take them -- I phased out a couple over the months, but the big issue for me was getting to where I could get to sleep at night.  It didn't seem like I could function with all the other stuff I had to deal with, when I couldn't get to sleep and stay asleep.

January 24, 2022 12:56 pm  #7

Thanks all for the tips!

My GP gave me a prescription. I held off in taking it for a long time. I went to see my OB for a check up and answered those preliminary questions they ask...are you sleeping well, have you lost weight etc. I finally told her what happened holding back tears. She said I NEED you to start taking this medication. You’re a functioning depressive state.

I started taking it but it has horrible side effects on me and I stopped. Work has kept me extremely busy but I am not focused as I should be and has caused me to work late nights to get it all done.

I do think therapy does help, however reliving the trauma maybe is not for me. I need the tools to help me get over the trauma.

I have started acupuncture to reduce the stress.

It’s so sad these closeted spouses have no regard for our lives to live this way. 17 years of my life wasted to have half my financial assets divided and fighting for everything I deserve. I didn’t back down to it and then only to find out more of financial impact he hide after the divorce was finalized. When will this ever end? All the lies and lies and lies.

I am sick of it all! I want it to all go away and rid him out of my life; however I keep getting F by this.

I have remained silent with all friends and his family. I’ve disassociated myself from the friends bc all their husbands are his friends. I don’t speak to any of the wives that I was friends with for more than 10+ years. One of the husbands “defended” his actions bc that “his friend”, so I can’t even have a friendship with his wife who I adore bc his treatment to me as his “friend” during my time of need was handle with such disgust. No compassion for a “friend” who just had her life ruined. These are the “friends” I do not need. His wife sent me a card and I replied back to her in a email that told her I no longer could be friends with her because of her husband’s treatment towards me and that I would not want m to cause any turmoil on her marriage bc my friendship with her was based on a byproduct of this disgusting deception. I met all the wives through their husbands (his friends). So now my support systems is almost no existing. How to make new friends in your late 40s? It’s tough!

Now I want to just expose it all. Send screens shots and all the hidden accounts and disgusting pics etc to everyone I know.  Will this broken record  in my mind stop? No. But will it make me feel better that everyone knows what he did to me? 1000 YES! Will I do it? No, because I am a decent human being and ppl will still believe he’s so brave in living his “authentic” self now that he’s a “woman”!

Last edited by LostAtSea (January 24, 2022 1:06 pm)

January 24, 2022 5:48 pm  #8

LostAtSea,  
   I was just yesterday reading an article in The New Yorker magazine about whistleblowers who reveal financial fraud, and thought the following applied to us straight spouses who speak about our experiences:

"Blowing the whistle is a psychologically fraught, existentially decisive act...by standing on principle and antagonizing the powerful, [whistleblowers] often end up rewriting their own lives in the process....Occasionally, the act of speaking up initiates a lasting re-invention." 

The writer also quotes a lawyer who works with whistle-blowers as saying: "'People are put under pressure...The uncertainty, the doubt--not everybody comes out on the other side of that the same." 

Reading this made me think of our situation as straight spouses in a slightly new way--we are like whistleblowers.  When we speak of our experiences and expose the fraud perpetrated on us by our spouses--the years they stole from us, the money we lose, etc--we are blowing our spouses's cover and exposing their unethical treatment of us (and others).  And not a few of the people whom we tell do not want to hear it, do not want their relationships with the fraudster disturbed by having to acknowledge their fraud.  And in society at large, the dominant narrative is of a "brave" and "authentic" or "oppressed by trans/homophobia," so we are by telling also "antagonizing the powerful."  It's no wonder we feel quashed and unheard and invalidated.  

I left my then-husband now-ex almost exactly four years ago.  I severed the last financial tie I had with him only a few months ago, and have discovered that doing so freed me up in ways I hadn't thought it was; that is, I discovered to my surprise that I was still feeling some apprehension about speaking up.  Cutting that last tie has resulted in my feeling much freer to tell my story.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (January 24, 2022 5:52 pm)

January 25, 2022 8:22 am  #9

LostatSea,

I read your story with some familiarity.      Im a 5 years out and ok but it definitely took time.    It is a trauma 
we went through.

Therapy was very useful while i was going through TGT but later as my therapist handed me off to other less experienced therapists I realized it was no longer helping.    I think the last therapist , unfamiliar with my situation, said something stupid like " there are two sides to every divorce" or something like that.. Where upon I realized;     
a.) She was not listening to me or did not understand my story and was assigning fault to me for TGT..
b.) I was telling my story again.

My point being..  we should only have to go through the trauma once.    If you find in therapy that its not helping you process the trauma and your're reliving it over and over...that may not be helpful.    I found 
found Alicia Salzer's "Back to Life" book about trauma helpful.

I think you are doing great getting the help you need.    I can identify with the tears as we tell the person trying to help us...   kudos to your doctor for understanding and helping.    Know that medication or any other help does not have to be forever..  it can be for a period of time when you need it.

I will say this about my or your hurt, anger, reliving, tears, etc..  be kind to yourself..    We live and we feel ... its what separates us from them...it makes us the kind and good people we are.    Cry, process it, but limit it to smaller and smaller intervals .. Know that there is a life without the hurt..  

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 25, 2022 7:47 pm  #10

The friends & family part was unpleasant. My late GIDXH hit me to keep me around. I finally called 911 and had to file for restraining orders.  They persisted in their belief he was a great guy despite seeing the copy of his police arrest record and restraining orders I showed them after he died. My dad was the only one who expressed pain and sympathy. I didn't want further pain from saying he was in the closet.

I learned the hard way that birds of a feather flock together regardless of public personas.  It's hard, but have slowly put together a few good acquaintances to ease the loneliness. It will happen for you, too.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera