OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2022 6:51 am  #41

Re: Feel lost

Hello all, 
Reading everyone's stories, I realise there are other people who are experiencing the same or very similar feelings. This is so comforting to me because I have felt so isolated during this year and occasionally let feelings of self doubt creep in. I don't feel strong at all and long for the day I feel stable enough to function in everyday situations and social gatherings. I say to myself I won't pretend but feel I am pretending most of the time just trying to make it through and for other people's benefit - so they feel better about the situation. I'm not going to do that in 2023.
My sister, who lives abroad, has tried her best but really doesn't have the emotional capacity to offer the support I need and in fact has often caused me more stress and anxiety - see the postings above about my nephew's wedding. I have found that when I attempt to talk to certain friends and family members I very quickly wish I hadn't. Does that sound familiar to anyone? I have very quickly established the 'safe' relationships in my life but have also felt very alone.

I have one very close friend who has been unbelievable through all this. At times, I have felt so low that I haven't wanted to carry on - it would just be easier for everyone, especially my sons, but my friend has kept me going...even when I didn't want to.
I hope everyone on here has someone like that in their life, it's a rare thing.

On the 4th Jan it will be a year since he dropped the trans bomb. I remember it well. I had spent the previous 4 days in bed with a bad dose of Covid and the first day I came out of isolation and transferred to the sofa, still extremely weak, he dropped it. He was euphoric.
'It will bring us closer together',
'I need you to help with my style, make up etc',
'I will take hormones and then eventually have surgery',
'I knew when I was 5, and a teenager and told a friend at 19 years old' were amongst some of the things he said.

I met him when he was 24 and we've been married for 30 years.

So as I look toward the New Year I have decided that I will no longer pretend, that my feelings are just as important as anyone else's and that I'm going to be real.

What about everyone else? If you want, post on here something positive you have decided to do for you, to take care of yourself and your mental well being. 

December 28, 2022 8:29 am  #42

Nadine,
   That does indeed sound like progress.  I think a lot of us have had the unfortunate experience of discovering that many of those we open up to are unable to empathize with us, for whatever reason (lack of experience or unthinking support of the LGBT person).  It's a painful lesson to learn who is safe, especially in the early days when we most need support.  

I, too, was lucky to have one solid gold friend, and I really don't know what I would have done without her.  

In the almost eight years since my ex's trans bomb drop (we'd been married 32 years at the time) I've done enough reading and heard enough from other women in our situation to know that there are patterns and commonalities to our partners' actions and words, although your ex's bomb drop while you were weak and reeling from Covid is particularly chilling, exhibiting a textbook case of narcissistic entitlement and lack of empathy.  My ex also expected me to get on board, and acted unilaterally, and some of the things your ex said to you are similar to what my ex said, as well.   He early on said to me "I don't know why you can't help me with this!  Gender is what you do!" (I was the director of a women's studies program), and "I am going to have an orchiectomy (to have his testicles removed) and take hormones."  I also heard the "I've known since I was a child" story. They create a new narrative for themselves and their new identities, working backwards through their lives to justify their actions now.

This is the year that I hope to buy a house and move.  I've been renting since I left my ex almost five years ago.  I never intended to live where I do as long as I have, but much of my time in the past three years I was caring for my mother, moving between my place and hers, and I could do this much easier in a rented place than one of my own.  It's a big decision, as there is no guarantee that I will stay in the city and state where I have lived for the past 30+ years, and I'm not sure yet where I want to live (that I can afford).  But by the end of this year, I hope (dare I say plan?) to be in a new home of my own, and to search out places and ways to belong and to begin making friends there.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (December 28, 2022 8:34 am)

December 28, 2022 10:14 am  #43

OOHC - you go girl!! 

I'm excited for you about looking into buying a house. It's a huge step. Can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm in limbo with regards to housing. I can't afford to pay my gay husband out for the house at this time, so we've reached the agreement of I will live here for now and when I make a decision of what I'm going to do long term then we'll figure that out. If I decide to stay, then we'll discuss a payment plan. If I move then we'll split the profit from the sale.

Fact of the matter is....I can't afford a rental. It would be more than I pay for my mortgage now. And, I have 5 pets....I can't even find a rental at this point that would take animals, let alone that number. And the house I have now has a large yard for the dogs and is all set up.

So, he holds all the cards, as per usual. I give him credit, he has been quite supportive so far and has helped out somewhat. So, I'm cautiously optimistic. But man this sucks.

So, what am I doing for me....

I have an appointment Thursday to get my lashes done. I've never had anything done before. So I'm getting a lash tint and lift. I am also debating a skin treatment for my face to smooth everything out.

I also signed up for some sessions with a personal trainer, and ordered a meal delivery service from a dietitian run company. Since my world fell apart I have been eating horribly, gained weight and my blood sugar levels have gone up to the point where I'm at risk of pre-diabetes. 

So, it's time for a wake up call. I have spent my life taking care of everyone else. So, I'm trying to actually take the time to look after myself

December 28, 2022 10:21 am  #44

Confiding in one friend has helped me reach this phase to proceed with getting a divorce. I met with my Therapist and it was a tough day. I realized that I hadn't given myself space to grieve the loss of what I thought my future would hold. I am forced to be the one looking for a lawyer and completing the paperwork while suppressing my feelings to get through the holidays! I spent the day crying and praying. It was needed and I have faith that brighter days will come. 

I pray 2023 will bring healing. My hobby is bodybuilding (the softer side of the sport - very toned but not too muscular)  so I have already started my Prep for 2023! I hope to place top 5 at a National Competition this year! 

December 28, 2022 12:03 pm  #45

Hi all,

I want to try for annulment next year. I'm rather scared and I haven't started yet but I will try. It isn't nice but it will set me free in some ways.

And I've booked a short cruise on a traditional sailing ship. Always wanted to try that

Thank you for all the stories you share. It means a lot to me.

Last edited by Marianne (December 28, 2022 12:03 pm)

December 29, 2022 6:28 am  #46

These replies are heart warming. We must be kind to ourselves - even little things can help, A soak in the bath, using body creams, making a hot drink etc.

OFHC, I have always found your posts/replies very helpful and insightful. I think buying a house for YOU will be a key moment for you and ultimately free you to move forward in the next chapter of your life.

Anon, a fitness plan is very positive for 2023 - 'wake up call', 'spent my life taking care of everyone else', take the time to look after myself' - this resonated with me.

Gwendolyn, '2023 to bring healing' I want that too and I am impatient for it. You have a great bodybuilding goal for 2023.

Marianne, 'a short cruise', 'always wanted to do that' Yes! so many of us haven't done the things we wanted to do all these years. I have been self-sacrificng and that's going to change. My needs and wants are just as important as anyone else's.
I would prefer an annulment too. How does one do that?

I sound positive but I am hurting inside. Tears flow when I least expect and I wonder when I will feel any different.

My STBX scheduled an email to me at 8pm Christmas Eve just when I was starting Christmas with my sons. I found his words to be intrusive, manipulative, controlling and with an underlying threat. I read it to my counselor and best friend yesterday and they both agreed. I think his objective was to reach out to me for some form of reconciliation. It had the reverse effect and left me angry and of course, I couldn't say anything to the boys - the word divorce 'popped' into my head for the first time - I think I need to be free of his controlling behavior even if I end up struggling financially.

I want to stay positive so keep the replies coming about what you've decided to do for YOU in 2023.

December 29, 2022 9:02 am  #47

Nadine wrote:

My STBX scheduled an email to me at 8pm Christmas Eve just when I was starting Christmas with my sons. I found his words to be intrusive, manipulative, controlling and with an underlying threat. I read it to my counselor and best friend yesterday and they both agreed. I think his objective was to reach out to me for some form of reconciliation. It had the reverse effect and left me angry and of course, I couldn't say anything to the boys - the word divorce 'popped' into my head for the first time - I think I need to be free of his controlling behavior even if I end up struggling financially.

I want to stay positive so keep the replies coming about what you've decided to do for YOU in 2023.

Nadine - I've read your story and you are a strong woman!  Your future is bright! You have survived a lot in 2022 and still standing. Yes, you may have moments of doubt but are walking through the stages of Grief - you are starting to ask yourself what your life would yield if you chose a different path. Choosing a different path is not the absence of fear but also hope.  I wish all of us good healing, good grieving (hope is found in this stage), and good living in 2023. 

December 29, 2022 2:11 pm  #48

Nadine, I meant declaration of nullity according to the church law. My husband is trans and he didn't tell me some things I had right to know before marriage, which I hope will be sufficient. I was waiting for his official diagnosis to have some hard evidence.

March 12, 2023 2:26 pm  #49

Wow. I can resonate with many of you. I have been married to my husband for 10 years and within the last year, learned that he experiences gender dysphoria. While he has no intent right now to transition (faith and moral beliefs), it is still a struggle for me to think about continuing our relationship and marriage with this part of it. While much of him hasn't changed, I still am really hurt by the betrayal and lying that has happened.

March 13, 2023 11:04 am  #50

Marianne wrote:

Nadine, I meant declaration of nullity according to the church law. My husband is trans and he didn't tell me some things I had right to know before marriage, which I hope will be sufficient. I was waiting for his official diagnosis to have some hard evidence.

Let us know ow how it goes.  I do not want to go through my divorce again ..which is what the church would do. I also know people for which the annulment was denied.
.I swear your ex could be an axe murdererer and my church would say produce witnesses from 30 years ago that were there and knew that.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera