OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2022 7:34 pm  #1

The dog that got me through is gone…

Just wanted to share that my beloved beagle Lucy, age 17, is gone. She saw me through the trauma of discovery, confrontation, separation, divorce after 26 years, and more, with her boundless love. In my darkest times she would not let me alone, rested close, got me out walking, needed me on her older years too. I will cite her always as my truest companion. The house is eerily quiet and I’m missing her terribly and grateful for her beautiful spirit especially  these last several years of my recovery from the trauma of the very hidden abuse I suffered.

January 7, 2022 8:04 pm  #2

Re: The dog that got me through is gone…

can so relate, I lost my 17 year old cat a few weeks ago.  she led the way out of the door!  grateful for her companionship and deep love.  still miss her terribly at times.  getting easier.

my condolences.

January 8, 2022 1:38 am  #3

My deepest sympathy on the loss of Lucy. Pets are loving and loyal companions, especially during sad times.  They are the best.

My beloved cat Dusty passed away a few years ago. She was like family.  I miss her and think of her every day. She was the only bright spot during my 👎🏼 marriage.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

January 8, 2022 9:37 am  #4

So sorry for your loss of Lucy.

January 10, 2022 12:05 pm  #5

I can relate.

January 12, 2022 4:10 pm  #6

Toward the Light wrote:

Just wanted to share that my beloved beagle Lucy, age 17, is gone. She saw me through the trauma of discovery, confrontation, separation, divorce after 26 years, and more, with her boundless love. In my darkest times she would not let me alone, rested close, got me out walking, needed me on her older years too. I will cite her always as my truest companion. The house is eerily quiet and I’m missing her terribly and grateful for her beautiful spirit especially these last several years of my recovery from the trauma of the very hidden abuse I suffered.

I am so sorry for your loss, 17 years is a good life for a beagle. I also, am going through trauma of discovery after my husband of 34 years passed and also, am relying on my beagle of 13 years to get me through. I also, rely on walking her and just having her sit next to me in evenings to keep me company. I hope you can find peace in her absence. It helps me to read that I am not alone in dealing and feeling the way I do. Thanks

Board footera