OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2022 4:35 am  #21

Re: My husband turned my life upside down

Hi, I'm back to write some update on my current situation.
(I'm sorry if I sound strange sometimes... I struggle to express these things somehow and it is even harder to do in English.)
So my husband spent last month on the internet, discussing trans stuff day-in day-out with his new lgbt friends. IRL he was obsessing about his hair growing longer and he was showing ever stronger desire for hormonal treatment.
We reached a breaking point when he chose a new female name and asked me to call him that. I realized that I never agreed to marry some weird "woman" named Alice and I would never even consider the possibility. If the male name written on our marriage certificate was a "dead name", then the marriage was also dead. Then we had a serious talk and decided to separate.
It's very sad, really. We've always been very good friends, sharing silly stories and a special kind of humor and I will miss it. On the other hand, our relationship shows some signs of codependency from both sides. We both seem to sacrifice too much for the relationship, probably seeking validation in it. It will be healthier if we split and try to fix our self-esteem separately.
And... I really don't think I'd be able to see him changing. He may become a fine woman in the end, but she will be born through total destruction of my marriage and (I don't want to sound overly dramatic here, but it feels like that) murder of my beloved husband.
I still haven't told anyone. I'm really bad at such things and totally scared of it.
Just venting here. Thank you for all your support.
Edit: forgot to say that this book helped me very much to make a decision: Too good to leave, too bad to stay (Mira Kirshenbaum). I was able to look at my marriage more clearly. If it was just bisexuality, I'd have stayed, but TTT is too much for me.

Last edited by Marianne (January 1, 2022 3:24 pm)

January 1, 2022 10:19 am  #22

Venting can be helpful. It can be hard to tell others. I find many of us seem to think we got ourselves into this, we somehow failed. That's not true. You trusted someone you should be able to rely upon 100%.

People will eventually need to know. As he continues to transition, it will be impossible to hide. Start with those whom you are closest to.

All the best for the year ahead.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

January 1, 2022 11:22 pm  #23

Marianne, Mira Kirschenbaum's book really helped me too in deciding to leave a long term abusive marriage (TGT came out a bit later). Made me face the truth when every single answer was too bad to stay. 

Its a long road through, processing anger, sorrow, grief, loss, loneliness, disappointment, ... it can be a bit cyclic and certainly isn't a linear process.

Give yourself time, let yourself feel, find a counsellor or therapist to help you.  Start thinking about a script for telling people so its eadier to do so. Find a lawyer and get info about divorce, have as little contact as possible with your husband, look after your own health - rest, diet, exercise.

You didn't cause any of this and you are not responsible for his choices.  Eventually you will see your way towards rebuilding your life and regaining your sense if self again. The less cobtact you have with him the quicker it will happen.

Have patience ... be kind to yourself. You feel overwhelmed and broken now but 40 is young  and you will recover. (I had my last baby at 41 so there is for you definitely a life still full of possibilities to be lived)   

My marriage imploded st 55, it was awful and I was terrified. But putting one front of the other, I am now 60 and my life is happy and peaceful.  I shudder to think what it would be like had I stayed married. 

You will get through. ((Hugs))

Last edited by Soaplife (January 1, 2022 11:37 pm)

January 2, 2022 4:04 am  #24

Thank you for your kind words, Soaplife.
I already have a therapist and I feel like I have a lot of work to do. 
It may not be so critical for me to avoid my husband. He's never been abusive and we are still good friends. Most answers from the book were not so clear for me. There was only one clear indication to leave: changing to a woman was the bottom line for me. One that simply makes marriage impossible. One that would make my spouse physically repulsive for me.
Other problems were:
- he is on the autistic spectrum and many simple things are sometimes a huge problem (like traveling, eating in a restaurant, meeting new people, being around kids, loud sounds, any unexpected situation). It was OK when we met but it has been worse and worse over the years. I wouldn't leave because of it (it would not feel right) but I would certainly feel relieved to live a normal life again without these crazy problems.
- he has many childhood traumas and was never willing to do anything about it. This is actually the first time he was willing to go to therapy. The never ending depression and anxiety made the relationship really hard at times. But I wouldn't leave because of this, either. There was always hope it would improve.
So the trans thing was the real deal-breaker for me.

January 2, 2022 10:01 am  #25

Marianne,
   My sympathies on the need to leave your marriage, but your reasoning that when "the male name written on our marriage certificate was a "dead name", then the marriage was also dead" is sound.  Your feeling about your husband "dying" (and also that he's been "murdered") is why so many of us refer to ourselves as "trans widows."  

PS: RE your information that your stbx is autistic: people with autism or on the spectrum are overrepresented among the trans-identified.  

Again, my sympathies.  It does seem that if you are able to go forward in the spirit in which you wrote your latest entry, you will be ok. 

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (January 2, 2022 5:56 pm)

January 3, 2022 7:37 am  #26

Some days I'm certain that I need to go on without my husband to keep my own sanity. Other days I desire to stay when I feel some echo of the old relationship.

Maybe I would be able to stay in an asexual, friendly relationship. That was one option we've discussed. But there is one thing preventing me from choosing it.

I have a feeling that this new "identity" is somehow not real and that it will not make my husband happy. Maybe less unhappy and depressed than he is now, but not really content and comfortable like other people tend to be. I recently read this thread https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1171239053867569152.html about gender euphoria being a sort of addiction and coping mechanism and it closely matches my experience. You know... my husband experienced something similar before. When we met, he embraced Christianity as a coping mechanism and seemed really happy, living active life, overcoming his fears and depression. (And another happy period in his life was even before we met, when he was interested in esoteric stuff.) But it was just a mask. His new obsession about trans community somehow feels familiar. But I have a feeling that it will be another mask. Better fitting than the previous one, maybe, but still a mask. 

My gut feeling is that he lacks a solid personality and that's why he is able to change to an exact opposite almost instantly. If he does not find his value in himself, not just some group he belongs to, he will never be happy.

I'm fully aware that this may be just my hurt feelings speaking and maybe I underestimate him.

January 3, 2022 8:03 am  #27

OutofHisCloset: I know that autism and trans-identification or bisexuality is a common combination. In fact, my husband only learned about his autism in trans online community by meeting other autistic people and feeling close connection to them.

I have two autistic attributes myself: some social occasions are rather difficult for me and I have to make conscious effort to say the right things (but I generally enjoy it). And I'm sensitive about clothes, wearing mostly soft, comfortable materials. I tried an online test and I barely score enough for Asperger's syndrome

Last edited by Marianne (January 3, 2022 8:03 am)

January 3, 2022 10:48 am  #28

Hi Marianne,

You might not be under estimating your husband so much as over estimating him.  Don't know quite how to put this but when I read your posts I shudder like I have this feeling that you are embracing something cold.

Writing that makes me realise that's exactly what I did with my ex.  My warmth and love embracing a nothingness.

What I see now is that the person I loved was fake.  Yes a real body but a misrepresentation of himself to such a degree that when I hugged him I was hugging a crafted fake persona - not him.

My thoughts are that any thinking about what makes him happy should be put on the back burner for a while - put all your effort into protecting yourself.

being trans is more than being in a group.  Religious beliefs bind people together into communities but he probably has found his people now, hasn't he.

Last edited by lily (January 3, 2022 10:50 am)

January 3, 2022 11:11 am  #29

Lily: "cold" is not the right word (he is actually gentle and understanding, but I only wrote about negative things so far).
"Nothingness" is much more fitting. I often had that feeling even before all these new revelations: embracing nothingness, not really knowing the person next to me, no matter how much I cared to know him.
Trying to make him happy has always been doomed to fail.

Last edited by Marianne (January 3, 2022 12:02 pm)

January 3, 2022 11:59 am  #30

Marianne wrote:

... My gut feeling is that he lacks a solid personality ......

Great description.... Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera