OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2021 3:51 am  #61

Re: Probably sounds familiar

Thanks all for the insight, yes i firmly plan to have my own house with enough room for both of them into adulthood, although how i get there is less clear at the moment as i am not wealthy.
Lily i have a rather large support network of friends/colleagues that i am heavily leaning on and this forum is giving me said armour to predict/expect duplicity, plenty of you have said this is not my journey (hers).
i have my own plans for several eventualities and that's all i can do, some clever General (Rommel i think) said no plan survives contact with the enemy. However having all this in my mind knowing what i want to do if xxx happens is good enough for me, i can roll with the punches as they land if needs be.
thank you for the honesty it doesn't get me down it really rather emboldens me

October 30, 2021 5:40 am  #62

so good to hear that Jamie.  You are doing so well, it's terrific to see.  I like that quote - no plan survives contact with the enemy, that is so true and so good to be reminded of.  thank you.

October 31, 2021 2:27 am  #63

been out with my best m8 last night, it was ok but i have an over-riding urge to be at home with my children,
not doing so great this morning as i found out(yes i was being underhand) that she has signed up to a queer dating app and is having loads of contacts and starting to form conversation strings, which means she likes someone.
i am sure if i confronted her with this she would trot out the "i just need people t speak to" line, happily papering over the cracks that its a dating app.

i go back to some of the comments about disassociating myself from her activities but this one has really got under my skin.

I feel like going back home in  a moment and straight out asking for a divorce, as it does seem that its all smoke and mirrors hidden behind her depression.

i could do with a few points of view on this before i bust my flush by being too rash.

Last edited by jamieblunt (October 31, 2021 2:28 am)

October 31, 2021 2:53 am  #64

Jamie, my 2c worth.

Things can go very fast once you've started recognising the mindfuck.

Is the current situation acceptable to you? Do you want to spend more time playing detective and wondering what your wife is really doing? 

If not its probably time to turn your energy and strategic skills to managing the exit of you and your kids from your marriage.

Weigh up the pros and cons - emotional and financial - but
Accept the bottom line that sadly whatever she is doing she is not coming back to you and your kids.

Time to see a lawyer. Some of them offer free first consultations. So get your financial info together, make a list of questions and make an appointment.

Keep a cool head - its a strategic business transaction now to get a fuss free exit for you and the kids.  I'd see the lawyer before you tell your wife you want a divorce. If you have a clear settlement offer ready she might not fight you on it and it might be easier on you and the kids. It will also cost you both considerably less than a protracted court battle.

Sorry dude. Good luck.

October 31, 2021 6:52 am  #65

Jamie, it's horrible, of course it's upsetting.  I think it's important to listen to your gut feelings, and if you want to stay close with the children then nothing wrong with doing that.

It seems to me a possibility that you play into her hands when you go out.  And maybe that you are being pushed to get to the point of saying you want the divorce and then that makes it easier for her to get you to give her what she wants in the settlement.

Divorce is a gruelling brutal process and it wasn't until I was past it and looking back that I could see how deliberate and accomplished my ex was in his campaign to get as much out of me as he could, meanwhile I wasn't thinking like that at all, I was more concerned for his welfare than worrying what he was doing to me.  This is where a lawyer can really help - she told me what the courts would award and I stuck out for that.

When you say you feel like going home and straight out asking for a divorce you are responding in a responsible adult way - the difficulty is that there isn't a responsible adult stepping out of the smoke and mirrors to respond to you.  For her it's all about her, you really do have to chart your path.  

October 31, 2021 8:48 am  #66

ok, so i didn't plan this but it happened anyway
i asked something of her that she did not want to do and that gave me an opening, to ask her to explain why she had refused to do what i asked (its personal so not going to say what) and when she didn't want to i drew it out of her by questions (as thats her default method to provide information)
the short version is
she has agreed provisionally that we need to separate/divorce, she has agreed it should be 50/50 and doesn't want our family home sold so the children can stay in it and if i can, arrange it to buy her out of the equity so she can get a place nearby.
i will see a solicitor this week and see how we go about all of this and what legal protections i get.

we shall see in the upcoming days if she sticks to this or tries anything on.

we had a bit of a cry together and a cuddle, she said she didn't know if she was making a big mistake but it didn't really move me ,i reiterated that she will have to stick by any decision she makes.

i made it very clear that if this happens as described she will have no ownership of our family home and she agreed to this...

October 31, 2021 9:16 am  #67

Jamie I'm so sorry.  A word of caution - a verbal agreement is in no way legally binding so get it in writing as soon as you can.

We can all tell you the pitfalls of trusting our partner's word once divorce is on the table.

And if it works out better financially to sell the house, split the proceeds and start again, its probably better to do what makes better financial sense.  Don't load yourself up with unnecessary debt just to avoid a move. Kids can survive a move - they just need to know they've got one of you at least looking out for them. 

You've got this.  It sucks but you get through it.

October 31, 2021 9:50 am  #68

Hi Jamie, just a few thoughts. You don't need her agreement to separate or divorce. Potentially, the process can be a little less contentious when both parties are in agreement. Not guaranteed though.

You shouldn't have to play 20 questions to draw information from an adult.

I'm not sure what 50/50 means when followed up with this idea about the home. Is she intending on a place of her own, as-in only her? That isn't really 50/50, as you take on the bulk of the child support expense. Watch out for ideas like the kids stay with you all the time, and anytime she wants to spend time with them, it's at your place. This hinders your ability to carve out the changes you will need to make in your own life. Nor should you have to find a reason to vanish when she wants to come visit her children. A solicitor is important to consult before making plans in this area.

On this dating app, how she described herself, in terms of sexuality and marital status, might be very revealing in terms of her unspoken intentions.

Hang in there, some rough water is probably ahead for a bit.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

October 31, 2021 12:58 pm  #69

again thanks for the insight/input

agreed verbal is just that verbal but its a start and it seems to have focused her mind a little as i think me bringing up separation/divorce put her on the back foot a little as it seems to be the one thing she is skirting around as it will involve either selling our house or her moving out, interestingly shes gone out for one of her walks (i jested she was off to meet a new friend off her app but she didn't bite) but she did on the way out say maybe "its all in her head" and the counselling may help her sort everything out so could we wait until thats concluded, you all warned of little manoeuvres if they feel they are losing control, so i will keep an eye on that one as it still fits my timeframe i have worked on but fully aware it may be a ruse.

As for 50/50  thats purely the assets in the marriage  house/cars etc, we have both put an equal effort into building what we now have, however i fully get Daryl's point about me overloading myself, however its my choice i want to be in the house with the children as they have 3 and 6 years respectively before they are adults and i dont want to miss anything (even though my 15 year old son barely speaks to us or comes out of his room but thats normal and hearing him on comms with the gaming buddies laughing and being happy is enough for me to be content)

the first plan would probably involve my daughter living with my wife but keeping her bedroom in the family home for whenever (if) she wants to stay, my son would most likely want to live with me although i have not yet had that conversation with him, if they both wanted to live with their mum then i would move out of the family home and then sell it when they are adults.
as for me,well i can come second for a few more year for my children, i am in no rush to put my happiness in anothers hands after this year so if a bit of romance comes my way all well and good but i'm not going to chase it, i dont need a new life i was quite happy with the old one bar the lack of affection/intimacy so it doesn't need a massive overhaul just a few tweaks once the stbx is distilled from it.
on the subject of me vanishing, i wont be doing that and hopefully by taking the action i am and not letting this drag on for ever and corrupting myself so all i feel is negative emotions then we can remain good friends and an effective parenting team even after the divorce. That again may be a pleasant fiction and really depends on how she conducts herself through this process. 

October 31, 2021 3:13 pm  #70

JB... You're getting lots of good advice here.
Remember your wife may be getting different advice from others who've been in her situation.
See a lawyer and take along a printout of your joint bank account if you have one

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera