OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2021 2:24 am  #1

Two year follow up

It's been two years since the divorce. I wanted to drop in and give an update.

My wife left me for her girlfriend. When this all first started it hurt that much more that she left me for someone else. At the time suicide was constantly on my mind. It was rough and it was dark. It took a good three months before the emotional pain started to subside.

And now here we are two years later. I am very grateful I didn't do anything rash. I help take care of kids, she still takes care of them 50% of the time. She is in the process of becoming single again and I wish her the best of luck finding what she needs. At first it was hard not to be a bit bitter but I don't see any point in harboring those types of feelings. As for myself I'm doing great, spent a good amount of time in the gym and look good. Financially I'm far  better off then I ever have been (also taking into account the impact from the divorce) and am on target to retire very comfortably. Most of all I am happy with myself. It's okay to be single and get to know yourself and redefine your standards. You will have bouts of loneliness but that is normal and to be expected. Overall I am 10x happier now than I was in the marriage. Not that the marriage was overall bad, just emotionally I don't need to worry about her happiness or the major disconnect we were attempting to live with.

TLDR; Did what is hard and hung in there. Despite temptation I didn't do anything rash and now life is really good.

October 15, 2021 3:24 am  #2

Re: Two year follow up

Good news stories are never TL! Im so glad you have gotten to the other side and life is good for you - and that you came back to encourage newbies that it does get better.

October 15, 2021 5:16 am  #3

Up vote.

So good to hear..I think many need to hear that they will be ok.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 15, 2021 3:26 pm  #4

Hey str8guy,

Very happy it worked out! Continued good luck.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera