OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2021 8:42 pm  #1

My scrambled thoughts

Yesterday I was on Reddit scrolling through the Live music/Chats section and starting listening to and watching an almost-19 yo who , for the last 3/4 years has been transitioning MtF. 
Because he was younger, very well-spoken, was answering questions with ease and seemed very accepting with the process he so obviously knew he had to go through I actually enjoyed his frank and open manner. 

Then later I was reading a comment on our Forum by Ordinary_guy about  "Putting this issue into public consciousness may save some (straightspouses) from becoming statistical collateral damage" and remembered this young MtF I'd come across. I thought....does the 'consciousness' and voice need to come from the younger ones? those who haven't been through the confusion and expectations of society to be a certain way, behave 'normal'. Who didn't segue from that confusion into a sham marriage to a straight person? 

This kid didn't have to be somebody he wasn't. I was able to listen to him without the judgement I have for many of the LGBTQ community.....so 
...is it youth without the pressure of a secret that we need to acknowledge the collateral damage? start the conversation? though I'm not entirely sure how that might happen....there's no link between youth who may be questioning and the straightspouses. Do they have an inkling we exist, would they even care and (I know the answer to this) would it be fair?

I could see the possibility of sticking our heads above the parapets but now I've typed out my thoughts I've come to a brick wall... but I'll post it anyway

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 7, 2021 11:24 pm  #2

Re: My scrambled thoughts

Hello Elle,

Glad you tuned into this Reddit Chat. I think you're saying if someone who has not felt shame about their sexual orientation and desire to transition were given a broader audience, the stigma of being LGBTQI+ in Western society  would be eased? Therefore, the pressure to act straight and marry, etc., would spare a lot of pain to straight partners.  I hope so!  Many on the board have expressed the hope of homophobia lifting since the start of this forum.

It's hard to say if it's the way the message is presented or if people are simply prejudiced against the message itself. It sounds like it's the former for you. Maybe?

Or are you saying younger LGBTQI+ people would have sympathy for the plight of the straight partner?  They wouldn't lump us together with the flame-throwing homophobes?  They would listen to us?   😊

Last edited by MJM017 (July 8, 2021 12:26 am)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

July 8, 2021 12:25 am  #3

MJM017 wrote:

.....Glad you tuned into this Reddit Chat. I think you're saying if someone who has not felt shame about their sexual orientation and desire to transition were given a broader audience, the stigma of being LGBTQI+ in Western society  would be eased?...... 

That's it exactly MjM. I feel there are members of the LGBTQ com. who read the Forum and although their input isn't needed on here it might start a conversation out in their community

KIA KAHA                       

July 8, 2021 12:49 am  #4

Ok, Elle.

I feel like the exception.  Who the eff stays in the closet in San Francisco? Around 20% of our population is LGBT - that's 200,000 people and lots of these 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈. I would be laughed right into the Bay.

It would work best in conservative areas where being in the closet is more likely. The local out gay population would sympathize. By the way, am guessing the percentage of LGBT is about the same as San Francisco or a tiny bit less in these traditional areas.  Don't think it deviates anywhere.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera