OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2021 10:10 am  #21

Re: Pride month?

Kia, Pride month is over now. If it upsets you , don't use facebook during that month.

July 2, 2021 5:09 am  #22

Gloria, I don’t think Facebook was the point of the post. Pride is everywhere we turn, on tv, on adverts and even when we go shopping and products are promoted with Pride. I went to pick up cat food and the packaging was emblazoned with pride slogans. As I have previously stated I’m not adverse to people in the LGBTQ community but when people are suffering and going through so much hurt it is a bit much to handle every day. No offence meant.

July 2, 2021 7:44 am  #23

Heartbroken, I understand what you are saying. It is difficult to see Pride month when you are married to a gay or lesbian.  Kia mentioned facebook not me. I don't mind seeing facebook and I don't mind seeing the pride flags. I will always use facebook. Pride month will not keep me away from my friends. 
  Everyone is different. I wish you the best.

July 2, 2021 9:39 am  #24

It's Elle (Ellexhoh), not Kia. "Kia" is part of her signature line.  "Kia Kaha" is Maori, and translates as "stay strong," I believe.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 2, 2021 2:42 pm)

July 2, 2021 1:05 pm  #25

Social conditioning at its best. I have always been meh about pride and gay people in general.  People are either good or bad. I think the problem is that a lot of straight people treat it as if the LGB community are disabled in some way and deserve some sort of special care and consideration. It’s almost as if you don’t take an active part in the celebrations then you are homophobic by default. I always used to say, “I don’t have any inclination to show support for normal healthy people just because a few of them seem to think that they are “special” in some way.  I am more likely to show support for left handed people, who actually have to physically adapt to a right handed world. It has turned into a bit of a commercial bandwagon that feeds the modern need to harvest likes, followers, tweets and god knows whatever narcissistic currency the modern human seems to deal in these days.

….Descends from soapbox shaking his head in abject indignation. Sorry

4875 days

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see clearly that which is essential is invisible to the eye.

July 2, 2021 2:56 pm  #26

if you want to have children then being gay is a handicap. but it is the straight spouses who end up hurting from it.

July 3, 2021 3:49 pm  #27

I can totally relate. June being pride month is also the month of my birthday. This year my birthday marks the 10 year anniversary of the last day I saw my dad. He died almost 10 years ago in a work accident. The same week as my birthday, temporarily my wife (self professed transgender gay male trapped in a woman's body) and I only have one car, which is the van in her name only. She recently put a gay pride rainbow sticker on the van. Whenever I take the van anywhere I put black tape on the back window to cover it up. I can't deal with it. Not to mention the potential drama/shame at my work parking lot. I would quickly become the butt of jokes at work.

Board footera