OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2021 8:17 am  #21

Re: Feel replaced...

It can be shocking how fast some of our spouses can just move on. I think it illustrates how self-centered they can become. As MJM said, there's no reason for you not to start educating yourself on the finer details of separation, child support, access, etc. in your jurisdiction.

I would avoid dating in the near term. I think you are correct in that it's just a way for her to remove whatever tinge of guilt she might have. Also consider that it could be used against you, a bit of a character smear when it comes time to talk about future arrangements for the kids. You also want to wait until you are emotionally ready for possible new relationships and all that entails. Generally you want the current situation placed in your past and to have spent a little time getting comfortable with yourself again. Emotional baggage and all that.

Hang in there. Things are probably going to be a bit uphill for a bit, but it's surmountable.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

June 1, 2021 8:35 am  #22

onceuponatime wrote:

Fury,
I asked my husband to move out, and he did 3 weeks ago. I thought we were doing okay, until he went on vacation by himself, and then told me about just wanting to be gay. The day he came back, we still slept on the same bed, It was a complete torture for me to have him next to me, fast asleep, without a care in the world. He was able to turn a switch off, and went from having sex, hugs and kisses, to have no interest at all in me, just being friends. I could not deal with that. I could not see him every day, and pretend that I was okay just being friends.
Our child is 10 yrs old. He is upset about our separation. He wants to know who asked for it. I tell him that it's best if a couple is not happy together, for them to try to be happy alone. What I really wish I could say is that it's his dad's doing, he's decided his "happiness" is more important than us.
I don't know about your wife, but I feel my husband is acting like a teenager out of his parent's house. It's all about what he wants, what he needs. I'm the responsible adult who needs to take care of our son. Maybe you will have to be the one taking care full time of your son as well.
Good luck. 

I can see how that situation would tear you up inside. One minute loving husband, then the next a complete stranger.   I want to go against the grain and tell my son when he is older who caused this mess. I know that everyone thinks for the sake of cohesion and whatnot i shouldnt place blame. But right now i do. And i think you are on that page as well.  Why should i spare my wife's feelings when she didnt care about them very much. And in your case, your husband.  We are going to try a shared custody since he will be turning 3 soon. But i worry, that when my guy starts school. that we will be forced to re-evaluate sharing custody.    

I wish you all the best. Like you, we unfortunately dont have the answers to our questions and i dont think we ever will. We can just share our stories and hope that others like us can take some solace from it.

June 1, 2021 8:49 am  #23

Daryl wrote:

It can be shocking how fast some of our spouses can just move on. I think it illustrates how self-centered they can become. As MJM said, there's no reason for you not to start educating yourself on the finer details of separation, child support, access, etc. in your jurisdiction.

I would avoid dating in the near term. I think you are correct in that it's just a way for her to remove whatever tinge of guilt she might have. Also consider that it could be used against you, a bit of a character smear when it comes time to talk about future arrangements for the kids. You also want to wait until you are emotionally ready for possible new relationships and all that entails. Generally you want the current situation placed in your past and to have spent a little time getting comfortable with yourself again. Emotional baggage and all that.

Hang in there. Things are probably going to be a bit uphill for a bit, but it's surmountable.

Absolutely. I went on one coffee date and realized im not ready to get back out there. I have looked into some legal standing in my state. And they want to pretend marriage is all about love. pfttt. 

June 1, 2021 9:38 am  #24

I divorced my hetrosexual husband 25 years ago when our son was 14. I did not date until my divorce was final. Our son was hurt but soon realized that we were happier apart. If my husband had been gay I would have told our son. Children learn so much about gays, lesbians, bi sexuals etc. now that I would not hold back the truth.

June 1, 2021 9:42 am  #25

longwayhome wrote:

Fury, one day at a time. We learn quickly how hurtful this situation is on our kids. As a result, we often will not share those thoughts because you will soon come to the realization you don’t want your child to carry that type of heavy feeling pain.

Yes, they chose to disregard their family, the kids, in time, I believe, on a deep level, will all come to that realization as they age.

Wouldn’t you wonder? If this had happened to your parents? I think their own thoughts that they will sit with, is enough. The straight parent, we mostly try to minimize the kid’s hurt.

You won’t be able or want to add that to your child’s awareness of their life.

I think my son will grow up thinking its normal for parents to split up. My sister split up with her bf and their daughter was about the age my son is now.(their daughter is close to  4 1/2). Im sure in time my want to speak the truth will fade and i will try to save his feeling. but right now. not a good time. But my son is  too young to understand so time will tell. 

June 1, 2021 2:18 pm  #26

longwayhome wrote:

To some degree I believe all our children have a right to the truth.. It’s their story too, they are affected. There is no good that can come from keeping secrets in a family. How that truth is shared is what really matters, is what I was really trying to communicate.

If I had allowed myself I would have called my husband every name in the book to my adult son when I first discovered my husband ‘s affair. I didn’t, today, I am so glad I didn’t let that initial anger get to me. It would have just hurt my son more to see this anger. That’s what I was getting at.

Also, if you wife plans on living openly, your son will eventually figure something must have been up.

The most important thing for me, is that I don’t in turn gaslight my own son over what we have in fact lived through. Each situation is different.

Take care of you first and foremost. Become your own best friend and remember to treat yourself like a best friend.

Youre right. I need to keep it together. But yes, they deserve the truth. I wont shy away from that.

Thank you for your responses.

June 2, 2021 10:32 am  #27

So as mentioned my wife currently lives with me. She has gotten her home. But i tell her the reason im angry about all of this is because i feel she is being disrespectful going out 4 nights a week While im home with our son. We're not talking about going out at 9pm. We're talking leaving at 4-5pm and not coming back until late hours after midnight.  Throwing her new relationship more or less in my face. or so i feel that way at least.  She is adamant it is not 4 nights a week. 
She claims she doesnt feel this is disrespectful, what do you all think?  
This all started when i made the comment about coming with us to the park "mommy can come with us unless she has something better to do". Admittedly. i didn't need to add that.   

My apologies. things keep going up and down up and down. WHen i feel im moving forward, things keep pulling me back.

June 3, 2021 12:03 am  #28

In my opinion, it is disrespectful but you won't get that admission from her. As long as you're living under the same roof, I feel there needs to be some ground rules to help keep things calm. I've read numerous examples of spouses who entered a 'gay adolescence' upon exiting their closet.

It can be hard but try to keep the moral high ground. You might want to keep notes on her words and actions in case it becomes an important factor in a judgement on custody and access.

Keep a close eye on your son. You don't want him to start thinking that he did something that makes his mom not want to be around. Kids are perceptive but lack the experience to see that it's not really about them.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

June 3, 2021 10:49 am  #29

Daryl wrote:

In my opinion, it is disrespectful but you won't get that admission from her. As long as you're living under the same roof, I feel there needs to be some ground rules to help keep things calm. I've read numerous examples of spouses who entered a 'gay adolescence' upon exiting their closet.

It can be hard but try to keep the moral high ground. You might want to keep notes on her words and actions in case it becomes an important factor in a judgement on custody and access.

Keep a close eye on your son. You don't want him to start thinking that he did something that makes his mom not want to be around. Kids are perceptive but lack the experience to see that it's not really about them.

I need to create a spreadsheet for the dates she is going out. But she hasnt done anything that might suggest bad in regards to custody. Other than going out night after night. To him its whatever since alot of the time its after he goes to sleep. I think the big one is meeting the woman too early. But again i dont think the court would have an opinion on that. I could be wrong of course. Its not like ive done this before heh.

Board footera