OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2021 12:27 pm  #51

Re: Can we make SSN more hospitable to people on varying paths?

Dear Tangled,

Please, "Can we make SSN more hospitable to people on varying paths?" 

Your response to my post comes across as dismissive in the least.  You said: "there are many straight marriages that go down the crapper because of deception, loss, and damage, too".   But as longway noted, these are not regular marriages.  My marriage didn't "go down the crapper".  I never had a marriage.  I was tricked into a fraudulent one and duped for over 30 years.  Years I can never get back.  Trauma that I will probably never fully recover from.   Your posts stating that you have compassion for us rings hollow and condescending to me now.  I hope I'm wrong about that and it is as longway also said not your fault, just not your experience. 

May 25, 2021 1:19 pm  #52

TangledOil wrote:
......."I would not be able to send you an invite to the discord group as there are three of us that join together and discuss who we will invite. .... "

Tangled....This is exactly what I encountered with one of the Yahoo MOM groups, needing to meet a criteria to join....which was totally unlike the space this Forum gave me to decide for myself where I belonged.

I for one feel you should no longer need to be a member here. It appears you stay simply to entice members to your other groups.

You've sounded so disappointed when you post that you find the atmosphere here hostile. I really don't understand why you stay. Or do you see the Forum as an advertising opportunity for the other sites?
and come here only to look for straight spouses who need to be saved?

Elle

KIA KAHA

Last edited by Ellexoh_nz (May 25, 2021 1:27 pm)

KIA KAHA                       

May 25, 2021 2:58 pm  #53

I’ve been reading all the posts on this subject, after my post near the beginning. As I stated, I felt terribly disheartened after reading all the doomsday posts when I first got here.

After reading about the negativity, I decided to check my first posts & see what I found/posted. The VERY first post I made was in the MOM section. It was posts of links to articles on MOMs. It was the first positive thing I’d run across & was great! But, I read all the answers in that post, and sure enough there was a spat between two members about a comment made about MOMs. 

People, they are all over the place....just look at this threat alone. We may have different situations, however we’re here to support each other.....at least that’s what the message about the group states. 

So, some have marriages that didn’t or couldn’t have worked. We all know they can’t all work out, no matter how much we wish they would. Even those that are going well today, may well crap out tomorrow. So, we should all be compassionate toward one another, regardless. We could be in that same boat any time.
Other have marriage that are working That’s great and we should encourage that. I’ve seen mention (I’m one who has) other sites...well, for instance on several MOM groups/and mixed orientation relationship groups, those people are supporting one another. Heck, when they try to get their marriages to work, sometimes they talk about how to help spice it up in the bedroom (nothing racy...all PG rated 😉).
But. there is no name calling, no ‘telling’ someone they have to get out of there! because it isn’t up to anyone except the parties involved. There is a difference between giving suggestions and advice. We don’t know the whole story.
When I first got here, my husband had cheated for our entire relationship, and had lied to me about it for another 16+ months while I searched (he knew about it & was ok with it)....so, we appeared hopeless. But, not even did I know if we were going to make it this far or not. I knew we wanted to try. THAT is why I found this forum. I was looking for ways to save our marriage.......and, what I found was not very promising from others. 
Until I found the MOM section. It was the only positive section here.

SO, realizing we’re all on different journeys, but here for the original reason: we are straight spouses in a relationship with a non-straight spouse (or partner), and we came here seeking SUPPORT. 

I think if someone asks, “how can I save my marriage?” (or, worded similarly), then we should try to help them.
If they say...I can’t do this! Help me find a way out! or, He won’t stop lying, cheating, etc....then.....help them deal with that. 

thanks for ‘listening’ to my two cents worth.

May 25, 2021 3:19 pm  #54

We’ve given all our opinions here. I value this board. It continues to help me.

This particular topic has been exhausted. We’re going around in circles. Please move on.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

May 25, 2021 3:23 pm  #55

Lynne, 

I can’t dictate how you think of me. I’m OK with that. I don’t spend a lot of time on any other section here. I just don’t have the time to do so. I don’t think  that equates with not having compassion. You can’t tell me that we all aren’t primarily looking out for ourselves. If we don’t take care of ourselves no one else will. I hope you have a great day.

Tangled 

May 25, 2021 3:26 pm  #56

MJM017 wrote:

This particular topic has been exhausted. We’re going around in circles. Please move on.

Thank you. At this point I agree. I think we just have to settle with we’re all looking for different things, different types of support, and we have to agree to disagree on what that may look like. 

Tangled 

May 25, 2021 4:48 pm  #57

Elle, 

I don’t stay to entice people to other groups. I stay because it’s nice to occasionally find camaraderie in those with experiences similar to my own. 

Tangled 

May 25, 2021 4:49 pm  #58

Thank you Susanne and Dutchman for all of your friendship and support. I appreciate you. 

May 25, 2021 6:28 pm  #59

Tangled, this is not the first time someone has told you that you are demonstrating a lack of empathy towards the  straight spouses, who are generally in a lot of pain.

On the one hand to say something to the effect that straights should be happy married to bisexuals - this to someone who is likely to have poured their heart and soul into making their marriage happy - to follow it up with something like oh no don't stay in an abusive marriage is a two step - as if you want to cover up rather than retract the first bit.

May 25, 2021 6:35 pm  #60

TangledOil wrote:

MJM017 wrote:

Thank you. At this point I agree. I think we just have to settle with we’re all looking for different things, different types of support, and we have to agree to disagree on what that may look like. 

Tangled 

Tangled,

I’m not pleased with the postings I’ve seen from you during the last 24 hours.  I don’t plan on responding to you from now on.   
Maria

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera