OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2021 8:06 am  #1

Separated and totally disconnected from him/her/they

I fell into a rabbit hole of blogs and forums today and finally decided to post my story here. I really feel the need to feel normal/safe again and I want to get support from everyone that went through something similar.

My story began in November 2020. I married my fiance on October 24th in Copenhagen. We had a small, but beautiful ceremony and some of my close friends in Europe were able to attend. We were so happy that day, after a 3 year long distance relationship. I was based in Berlin while he was in London.

Literally 3 weeks after we got married and I was back in Berlin doing house viewings for us, he came out to me on a video call with the truth. I had asked him when exactly he would be relocating in Berlin and after a brief pause, he said "I've decided not to. I need some time apart to think about things. i've been having thoughts about myself". I yelled and felt nothing but fury when he told me this, and that's when he yelled back and told me he's been thinking about becoming a woman. The worst part was him saying that this was "recent" and only "just started happening". But every part of my body feels this isnt true at all. 

I cried so much and I was screaming at him during this call. I remember calling him stupid and then i desperately asked him to move to me and stay with me and not break things off. We were both crying at this point. We ended the call and I told him to take his time to think about things because I needed to do the same. I had a panic attack after the call and couldnt sleep and messaged 2 friends who were able to come to me the next morning. I felt so helpless, and i felt like my entire world had crumbled around me. I cried for a whole week non-stop, couldn't eat or sleep properly. 

But after a week, i knew exactly what I wanted. I couldn't be with him and I couldn't be with a woman. I have never seen myself as a lesbian or experienced bisexual thoughts and I never judge or shame anyone who has. I'm a LGBTQI+ supporter and live in a city where this is celebrated. 

But I couldn't be with him. We did not speak since then. I applied for a divorce in January and send him and his parents a long email about my thoughts, my feelings, my anger and my reasons to apply for the divorce. I could never look at him again and I still feel like I dont want to know what he's been upto since then. I feel like my heart and brain have completely repressed every thought of him. I deleted all the wedding photos, got rid of all his clothes, hid my wedding dress and the ring. Since December 2020, I basically chose to ignore everything that had happened and focus on myself and my life here especially during a strict lockdown.

Since then, I have moved into a new apartment on my own and I haven't reached out to him at all. All my closest friends here and back home know what happened. My dad has been super supportive and calls me up almost everyday. 

However, the feelings of anger and emptiness and loneliness haven't gone away. I have started putting myself out there through tinder and bumble and actually went on a few dates so far but everything feels surreal and weird. I know i'm still legally married and that he is still somewhere out there also in his own world.

I can feel myself trying to replace this emptiness with the dates. I crave intimacy and connection so much right now but I can't imagine every loving or trusting another man ever again. I feel so empty inside every morning, and lonely and I'm filled with regret. But the scariest feeling is thinking that I don't think i'm going to be able to love again.

March 11, 2021 8:34 am  #2

Re: Separated and totally disconnected from him/her/they

anee_93,

After being on the board here awhile I will say that the  pain and hurt is one feels is just as real for a person
married a year as it is for a per married decades with kids...hurts just as much.    Many will point out the positives; that you don't have a lifetime with kids and property involved.   But that doesn't address the hurt.

I would say definitely complete the divorce so you can have closure and move on with your life.  I would say dating right now may not be the best plan although being anti-social is not the best thing either.   
After my divorce and during it I found it best to be the "lone wolf".. to go back to being on my own...doing things I liked, hanging out with friends and family that were authentic and truthful.   It need not be forever and I think you will find after some time, maybe not now, but some time that being on your own builds strength
and fortitude.. it lets you treat yourself kindly and safely.  Alone is ok..any loneliness you feel is best not placated by someone that kept such a fundamental secret from you ...to the point of taking vows and marrying you.     When you love again it will be with discretion, self love and more knowledge of a persons quality.         These spouses never deserved our fierce, loyalty and love.... but we can turn that ferocity to ourselves... and,  eventually, to someone that deserves it.    

Best wishes ...walk on and don't look back.

Last edited by Rob (March 11, 2021 8:35 am)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

March 11, 2021 9:17 am  #3

Ex wife of a man who after 32 years of marriage declared he'd decided he was "a woman in a man's body."  Total surprise to me.   Like you, I decided that I was not interested in being the wife of a transwoman, and that I was not a lesbian and did not wish to pretend I was with a man who as far as I'm concerned was pretending he was one.

Having a spouse come out to you as trans brings a pain specific to that circumstance.  Your husband married you under false pretenses (it's a certainty that in a very little while he'll be claiming that he's always been a girl/woman inside--it's part of the playbook), so naturally you feel you were deceived and cheated--because you were.  You mourn the loss of the future that you imagined you would have and had been planning for.  You mourn the loss of the person you fell in love with.  And you feel lonely, empty, and angry, all at once.

Here's one way to help counter those feelings: re-frame your image of him.  In your pain, you are thinking of the person you fell in love with, and mourning that person and the love you had.  But while your love and effort was honest, his was not.  He is not, and never was, the person you thought he was.  He was, instead, a hologram he projected for you.  Because you didn't know that, you took him at face value.   Now it's time to acknowledge, and to accept, that you fell in love with a phantasm.  Moreover, a person who could project that hologram is not an admirable person.  He was willing to dupe you, to engage in future-faking, to lure you in and secure you, for his own selfish purposes.  

You're doing exactly the right thing in going no contact.  The best next step you can take is to divorce him, so that you no longer have any connection to him.  Excise him entirely from your life.  Believe me when I say you will find that exquisitely satisfying.

The loneliness and emptiness is real, and it will take a while to mourn the loss of the future you thought you had.  It's painful.  It just is. 

Don't beat yourself up for reaching out to date; in fact, commend yourself for realizing that simply going on dates to fill the emptiness you feel, and perhaps to feel validated as a woman and desirable partner, is not ultimately a solution to your feelings of loneliness and emptiness.  That you have realized this has saved you from a fruitless and endless round of desperate but doomed-to-fail attempts to feel better.  You can replace momentary fixes with long term stability.  Now you are able to think about healthier and more satisfying ways to heal and recover, starting with a closer connection with and appreciation of friends and family who have offered their help in your time of need.   

It takes time.  It takes the time it needs to take.  Fearing that one will never again partner up or be able to trust is part of the grieving and healing.  I moved out three years ago this month, and the way I feel now, and my outlook on my life and my future, as well as on my ability to live my life in a satisfying way, partnered or not, is much, much improved.   

All best to you.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (March 11, 2021 11:35 am)

March 11, 2021 11:17 am  #4

Anee ,

I don’t have experience in this area, however I wanted you to know you have support here & have been given some good advice from experienced spouses. Just wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you during this hard time. After reading your story, I wanted to reach out and let you know we care & that it DOES get better (not right away, but it does)

((((HUGS))))

March 15, 2021 8:03 am  #5

I am so sorry.  It is devastating. Please look into therapy for yourself as you deal with this trauma.

My husband of sixteen years told me a similar thing in August of 2020.  Because I have children, I can't just cut him off entirely, but it would so much better if I could.  Out of His Closet is spot on.  The man you imagined was a deception. 

Board footera