OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2022 8:44 pm  #21

Re: telling the kids

Toward the Light wrote:

..... It’s great to be on this side of the whole effing mess.
Thanks to you all for being with me over these years of getting him out of my life for good. I’ll check in when I get a sense of how the “boys” are responding, if they are.

Well you're just effing amazing TtL

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

June 9, 2022 6:20 am  #22

Children need to know the truth

August 9, 2022 10:24 am  #23

I’m checking in to say I’ve seen all of my adult sons recently—they were all home for summer vacation—and we’ve had brief discussions related to my telling them my truth in May, 2022. Well, with some of them. My youngest son (27) said nothing, didn’t bring it up, even though we spent time alone at the beach. My middle son (30) basically said he does not struggle with this truth in terms of his own sexuality but rather is wondering “”What if I inherited the pathological liar gene” from his Dad? Good question that led to an exchange about the importance of honesty and self-reflection on one’s ability to be honest. This same son told his beloved “plus one” straightaway who, in turn, asked me to go to dinner with her alone while visiting, and proceeded to fill my heart with her kindness, understanding and compassion for the very tough position I have been in. She also said my ex told the rest of the family, his and mine, that he had wanted to stay in the marriage, without revealing, of course, why I wanted O-U-T. That makes my blood boil, as if he had no part in the wrecking ball coming through our family’s kitchen.  My eldest son (31) briefly brought up that he chose NOT to tell his beloved “plus one” for a reason I don’t totally understand. But I don’t have to. It’s his truth to wrestle with now. Meantime, none of them have mentioned to their father that I’ve blown his cover. I doubt they will. Nevertheless,  I’m sleeping very soundly at night. It seems this last part of the devastating landslide—telling my sons my truth about what happened—was the key to my finding a measure of peace. Thanks for being there for me.

August 9, 2022 1:57 pm  #24

Toward the Light wrote:

I’m checking in to say I’ve seen all of my adult sons recently—they were all home for summer vacation—and we’ve had brief discussions related to my telling them my truth in May, 2022. .....

Well done Toward...your sons are so lucky to have you. The fact you were able to bring the truth to your table means your kitchen should never be trashed again

What a coward your ex was. Probably still is

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

Board footera