OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2021 2:21 pm  #21

Re: Can’t sleep (again)

OOHC,

I see it differently I suppose. That’s okay. We can have different views. I do think I straddle the middle although there probably is some truth in saying I probably love monogamy ever so slightly more. When we were getting married I thought something along the lines of ... I have my one and only, no longer have to fear the possibility of STIs, I was very focused on monogamy and honestly still am. Believe me, I’ve given all of this a lot of thought and these are MY views and they are helpful to me in understanding myself. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (February 8, 2021 2:22 pm)

February 8, 2021 3:13 pm  #22

TangledOil wrote:

..,... I have my one and only, no longer have to fear the possibility of STIs.......
Tangled 

Hah... This was one of the fears I had (  my partner didn't seem to think STIs an issue ) and it was one of the reasons for me deciding celibacy was my only option

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

February 8, 2021 3:31 pm  #23

TangledOil wrote:

I’m currently in communication with a couple that opened their marriage after 20 years together. The husband is bi and the wife is straight. He was always honest with his wife and never cheated. She’s known about his bi-desires the entire time. She supported him in conversion therapy for many years. Obviously it didn’t work because conversion therapy doesn’t work. They opened their marriage a couple years ago. He says it isn’t easy... it hasn’t been easy especially for his wife. They both have individual therapists and also a couples therapist. He said he never wanted for their life to be like this... this complicated, but the reason it’s working so far is that his wife loves him more than she loves monogamy. 🤔 I thought that was rather profound, but I can also say most straight wives probably love monogamy more than they love their husbands. 

This sounds like a horrible, emotionally abusive marriage. I'd rather be single for life. If the husband claims to be attracted to both sexes....why put her through this misery...knowing how much it hurts her? She is one of the genders he is supposedly attracted to. It doesn't make sense to me (unless he's actually gay). Marriage should never be this complicated or painful. 

February 8, 2021 3:33 pm  #24

Elle, 

Both my husband and I are huge germaphobes, especially when it comes to STIs ... this is probably the biggest factor that I wouldn’t be able to overcome and my husband gets it completely because fortunately he’s very similar in that regard. We both came of age right at the heights of AIDS... it scared us for life. I had an ex boyfriend that was a therapist for men on their HIV/AIDS death beds. There was nothing fun about any of it. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (February 8, 2021 3:39 pm)

February 8, 2021 3:39 pm  #25

Julian, 

The wife is choosing this... she is choosing to stay. She’s known her husband’s struggles their entire relationship and she wants to remain in the marriage. They have many rules in place and it seems to be working well for both at this point. She can also date others and had done so, but at this time she isn’t dating anyone. She doesn’t feel the need. She knows exactly where her husband is at all times. There’s no sneaking around. She doesn’t feel like she’s in a bad situation at all so that’s probably helpful in them continuing on. Apparently he’s bisexual/biromantic which is valid although most older bi men consider themselves bisexual/heteromantic. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (February 8, 2021 3:39 pm)

February 8, 2021 3:56 pm  #26

The way you described it does not sound like it's "working well" for both. She's getting a double dose of therapy to try to manage it because she loves him...and maybe she's dependent on him financially (which would make leaving more difficult). But, I highly doubt this is the life she'd imagined on her wedding day. You mentioned conversion therapy...so I take it they're probably religious. It just makes me sad to read these stories.

February 8, 2021 10:00 pm  #27

Their account is that It’s working well for both. The boundaries they’ve agreed to are being followed. They both are getting a double dose of therapy to manage it all. Right, this isn’t the life either of them hoped for certainly. Religion specifically has not been mentioned, but maybe you’re correct because of the conversion therapy.  

It’s certainly not my ideal, but I’m glad they are happy enough with their arrangement. 

February 9, 2021 9:43 am  #28

Chump Lady has an excellent column today about "opening the marriage."  UXWorld's second comment is gold.  

February 9, 2021 10:20 am  #29

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Chump Lady has an excellent column today about "opening the marriage."  UXWorld's second comment is gold.  

Link for those who haven't discovered Chump Lady yet

UBT: Opening the Marriage to Save the Marriage?

“My husband told me he needed to be non-monogamous to feel whole. He said he was sincerely sorry for what he had done, and claimed he could be monogamous now, but would not be truly happy if he was.”

UBT: He’s saying: “After 16+ years of saying I’m ‘this,’ I now declare that I am ‘that.’ And if you refuse to allow me to be ‘that,’ it’s your fault if the marriage fails.”

Is this the one, OOHC? 

February 9, 2021 12:04 pm  #30

I recall telling my husband many months ago “you can’t expect your needs/desires/fantasies to be met by a partner when you get together if you don’t let that person know what they are.” Of course people do change some over time. My husband’s desires haven’t changed over the years. They’ve always lingered on some level in the back of his mind. What did change is how he framed them. He only recently (last 2-3 years) began to reframe his desires as being bi. 

As far as the couple I mentioned that now have an open marriage, the wife has always known this (the bisexuality) was a huge struggle for her husband. Even before they married. On some level that’s probably been helpful. It wasn’t all sprung upon her at once. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (February 9, 2021 12:12 pm)

Board footera