OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2021 5:03 pm  #11

Re: Do we gaslight ourselves?

Well, if I go by what my bi husband says about it... none of being bisexual is ideal. He says he wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I think my husband (may) have it somewhat easier than other bisexual people because he never experiences a bi-cycle. His interest doesn’t shift back and fourth between men and women. He always has interest in me and an interest in the other occasionally pops up, but it never lessens his interest in me. I don’t think he’s lying about that because we’ve had a very consistent and active sex life for nearly 30 years. Most bisexuals say they wouldn’t trade it in to be straight because they are the few that can know the joy of sex with both a man and a woman. My husband chooses me because we have a long and fantastic history together. If he were to suddenly become single he says he’d probably choose no one. My husband doesn’t feel he’s living an “unauthentic” life by not having sex with men too. He and I both can easily acknowledge his attractions, he doesn’t have to hide them or stuff them down, but he’s monogamous. We can talk about and even joke about so many aspects of all this now. It’s really great... better than I ever expected it could be. Don’t get me wrong... we’ve spent a lot of time talking about numerous possible scenarios and this is what we’ve decided works best for us. 

Just like I'm attracted to others and not acting on it, neither is he. It's not that complicated. We are committed to one another. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (January 20, 2021 5:11 pm)

January 20, 2021 5:43 pm  #12

TangledOil wrote:

Just like I'm attracted to others and not acting on it, neither is he. It's not that complicated. We are committed to one another. 

Tangled 

I often try to convince myself of this...but, I feel like the straight spouse (even in the best of scenarios) will always be at a disadvantage...Of course, we only ever know what our partners reveal...and these are the same people who kept this huge secret from us. So, I think it is complicated. If it weren't, they probably would have taken their secret to the grave without us ever even having a hunch that something was off.

January 20, 2021 5:58 pm  #13

Yes, they could choose to take their secret to the grave all while having side pieces and believe me some do. Some just never say a word to anyone and don’t act on it either. There are numerous possible scenarios. I’ve known for 30 years. He just didn’t accept it himself. I accepted it before he did. It’s a long story, but I’m glad we’re at this point now. 

Edit... what do you mean by we are at a disadvantage?  I’m not sure I see myself as having a disadvantage at all. I see myself in an advantageous position and my husband does as well. I don’t want to have “the advantage.” I don’t see a need for it at this time, but if the time should come I definitely have the advantage.

Last edited by TangledOil (January 20, 2021 6:13 pm)

January 20, 2021 6:46 pm  #14

I think there are many reasons they finally tell their spouse. I think it was huge for my husband to be accepted as he truly is. He’s lived multiple decades without anyone knowing with certainly his true self. I think he felt someone disconnected from everyone because of it. It is a huge weight to have lifted when one can finally reveal who they really are and be accepted for it. I’m not saying that because of it one must accept non-monogamy. Those are two entirely separate things. I accept my husband’s bisexuality completely. I do not accept non-monogamy. We have decided it’s not right for us at this time for certain and it may may never be right for us. 

Edit... I know a bi man in his 60s. He's cheated on his wife of 30+ years on and off with men for most of his marriage. It's been quite a few years since he's been with a man now. He wishes that his wife would know who he really is, but his plan is to never tell her because he knows she'll want out. I don't know why I'm telling you this... but basically his desire is to be loved and accepted for who he is and he won't get that from his wife and in this situation I certainly don't blame her at all, but I do understand his desire for full love and acceptance. 

Last edited by TangledOil (January 20, 2021 6:51 pm)

January 20, 2021 8:06 pm  #15

Tangled, I remember a post - you said you were cis, straight and felt some attraction towards women, I just went looking for it and I think I might have found it but it has been edited.  No mention of attraction to women any more but you do still describe yourself as demisexual and say you and your husband are at an extreme end of the spectrum.  All of this is fine but it's not the same as where one of the spouses is simply not on that spectrum, is plain old straight.  Yes, my experience and consistent observation is that they are at a disadvantage in the relationship - both the men and the women. 

January 20, 2021 8:18 pm  #16

Lily,

It is really interesting how you just have to try to find something where there is nothing to find. Seems a bit desperate in my opinion. I don't need to be bi or whatever to have compassion for my husband. 

😂 I am absolutely 100% straight. I have NO attraction to women WHATSOEVER. I have never said that I do. Far from it. Maybe you don’t know what demisexual means... it means needing to have a close bond with someone in order to have the possibility of sexual feelings and even that’s pretty rare. I do believe we are both demisexual. I am “plain old straight” but I’ve always been exceptionally selective, as has my husband. I don’t see a hot guy across a crowded room and have to have him. I don’t work that way at all. Never have. I feel no disadvantage. 

Last edited by TangledOil (January 20, 2021 8:28 pm)

January 20, 2021 9:25 pm  #17

Sorry I wasn't clear...(typing faster than I can think...as usual!). By "disadvantage" I meant vs. being with a straight partner who isn't conflicted about his/her sexuality. 

I'm not trying to argue with you (we're both here for the same reason, after all!)...I love my husband very much, but I won't excuse away the deception. You can empathize with the struggles LGBT people—our spouses—face...but still recognize it's morally wrong to keep such a big secret from the person you marry...and have children with. I minimize it in the sense that I have to...because I made the decision to stay and keep our family together...but I carry the weight of that secret now. 

January 20, 2021 9:49 pm  #18

Julian, 

I see us as both having to make compromises we didn’t necessarily foresee having to make when we got together 30 years ago. Many people make compromises within a 30 year period to sustain a loving relationship. I don’t see it as a disadvantage necessarily. I could have married an abusive, cheating straight man. We could be divorced by now. My husband and I have a great life in almost every way. Neither of us are complaining. Admittedly we were quite young and naive and I do believe my husband didn’t recognize this as bisexuality until very recently. In fact I know he didn’t because we’ve discussed it over the years and even a few years ago he didn’t recognize it or label it that way. It’s a long story that I won’t get into here, but like I’ve said I’ve known for decades even though he couldn’t accept it about himself. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (January 20, 2021 9:50 pm)

January 20, 2021 9:55 pm  #19

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

My bisexual partner says he can be monogamous (stuff those feelings down....whatever)...but now sex is off the/my table, will that last? I have lost my desire for sex, with ANY man.
Do I trust him, do I put trust in a man who's been dishonest? Who put his own needs before ours

Elle

"Stuff those feelings down..." that is what I mean by "disadvantage." Yes, of course they can be monogamous. Infidelity is always a choice. But, can someone who has to stuff his/her feelings down ever be with us in the same way we are with them? I never had to stuff feelings down...but that is exactly what I imagine most of our partners did for years...until they boiled up to the surface.

January 20, 2021 10:03 pm  #20

"It's just cross-dressing.  Surely, he doesn't really think he's a woman."

Board footera