OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2020 5:36 pm  #1

Therapist

Help!

I need the number of a therapist who has ACTUAL experience with this type of thing...
anyone have a great therapist they have worked with who would be willing to take on a new
Client? (me!!)

December 30, 2020 7:11 pm  #2

Re: Therapist

Annie Tulk. She is out of Toronto. Married 22 or 23 years and her husband came out . She is really good.  MY Dday was july 12  2020. Married 22 years and together  close to 30. I am in a much better place than I was 5 months ago.

You can hurt me with the truth,but please don't love me with your lies.

December 30, 2020 9:15 pm  #3

Do you happen to have her phone number?

December 30, 2020 11:47 pm  #4

Therapists are licensed at state and provincial levels so there may be restrictions on where their patients can reside. That being said, If you are in Ontario, especially in the GTA, Annie is a good choice. When I first placed a support request on the main SSN site, it was forwarded to her. Besides being in private practice and a SSN First Responder, she also facilitates the local meet-up group, which is where I know her from, although it's been a long time since I made a meeting. (I expect they are virtual meet-up's at this point.)

She has a website, and I notice she also has a book published. http://annietulk.com/

If you are not in Ontario I would suggest placing a support request on the main SSN website so that they can have someone in your area respond.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 31, 2020 12:48 pm  #5

I was thinking the same thing as Daryl - you have to make sure the therapist is licensed to practice where you live.  Contacting SSN to see if they can put you in touch with someone local is a good idea.  Alternatively, the Psychology Today website allows you to search for therapists by location, and their profile will list their specialties. You can always inquire about their experiences with your specific issues before scheduling a session.  I have read here, that it might be a good idea to seek out someone who specializes in trauma, rather than LGBTQ issues, so that's something to consider.  

December 31, 2020 5:37 pm  #6

Unfortunately, SSN cannot recommend therapists as an organization, as it represents a possible liability. Sometimes, local contacts will know someone locally. SSN can provide peer support only. You need to ask a potential therapist if they have experience with this issue, and if not, can they recommend someone who does. A therapists who helps one individual may not be helpful to another. If a therapist is not working for you, don't be discouraged and don't be afraid to seek out another. Many people go through several before they find someone they can connect with.

January 1, 2021 10:29 am  #7

Absolutely worth doing. She is a kind lady in person and will be honest with you.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

January 2, 2021 2:19 pm  #8

I need the name of a good root doctor

January 4, 2021 10:30 am  #9

Thank you all!
I did reach out to her, and she was kind enough to get right back to me! Now I need to figure out if spending $150 for her to tell me what my gut is already telling me is worth it... though I feel like the affirmation would be worth it! 

Board footera