OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2016 11:11 am  #21

Re: A thread for those staying in their MOMs?

Dear Bobby, I was and am puzzled by your 'it's perhaps too soon to see a therapist'. Why? I felt that I needed therapy to help me through this hurricane, and we needed therapy together to clarify for each of us what we most wanted. Because it can only work if there is absolute commitment on BOTH sides, by both partners.

I like your picture of the swan. I had a diplomat friend who talked of diplomats being like ducks, smooth feathers on the surface, and paddling like hell below the water-line. Yes, it is hard, and perhaps it always will be. But then was life meant to be easy? Most people, when you get to know them well, have their own personal unique baggage of pain. I've just spend the day with an old friend, a few years older than me, retired head of a family firm, handed over to his two sons, and the board has just had to fire one of the two sons, and the 150-year-old family firm founded by his grandfather is on the very brink of bankruptcy...

I try to avoid comparing trauma and pain, to show compassion for others' pain, and acknowledge and recognize my own. And without going into the details of our personal lives, we can simply say to some friends, when they ask us how we are, 'Going through a rough spell. Seriously hard going...' or whatever.

Strength to us all. Andrew

October 24, 2016 12:54 pm  #22

I've thought about not even jumping in on this thread, because I have no experience in choosing a MOM, nor did I ever consider one.  And that's because I knew it couldn't work for me.  How do I know?  Because I was IN a MOM for 16 years, and for at least the last 10 years, I was suffering, and trying to make the intimate part of our marriage not be overly important to me.  I didn't realize I was in a MOM, of course.  But the reality of the situation is that I was still left with the same outcome - someone who didn't willingly bring any intimacy to the table.  It seemed my only option - no matter what the core issue was - would be to lie my wishes for intimacy down at the alter of marriage, and make them unimportant.  I don't know HOW many times I tried that, but suffice it to say at least dozens.  Every single time, I'd think I could do it.  I'd stuff that physical need down inside, like the batting in a pillow.  Like having jello for dessert, it seemed there would always be room for more, metaphorically speaking.  Until one day, I stuffed some more batting in, and the seams popped.  I tried to stitch the seams, only to learn that other seams would pop when I went to stuff that batting inside.  Until I realized that the batting was too much - I'd stuffed all I could into the pillow, and there was nowhere left to stuff any more.  And so it lay around me on the floor - unable to be hidden any longer - to myself or anyone else.

I thought my ex GIDXH was just..... asexual.  Or just extraordinarily low sex drive.  Or too wounded by his sexually abusive past to think of sex as something beautiful, touching, passionate and giving and amazing.  I felt that by pressuring him, I was literally inflicting trauma.  And yet I STILL couldn't make my desire for intimacy go away.  It wasn't just the physical act of sex - it was anything that went along with being more than friends, really.  It was holding hands, it was needing someone to occasionally come up behind me while I did dishes or laundry, just to kiss me on the back of the neck or to put their arms around me.  It was looking across the room and seeing him staring at me as if I were his world.  I could dress to the nines and the kids would all ooh and ahh, and his comment to me was, "Ready (to go)?"  I'd sometimes even start the compliments toward him, just to see if it got me anywhere.  "You look really nice."  His response? "Thanks".  If I said, "How do I look?", I'd get, "Fine."  Fine???  I'd done my hair, my makeup, put on a killer dress and heels, shaved and glossified everything, smelled delicious, was sparkling with little touches, and I looked...... FINE?  It wasn't just about sex - it was all of it - including but not limited to sex.  Even the sex was half-hearted.  I couldn't get a passionate kiss to save my f'ing life.  Sex was something I had to coerce him into.  It was done in the dark, soundless, only in missionary position, while he looked anywhere but at me.  "Don't say 'I love you' during - that just ruins it."  "Touch me here", I'd beg.  He'd say, "Can't you just be happy with where I touch you?"  No, I couldn't be happy with him getting sex but me being too gross to have my genitals touched.  I began to push him - why couldn't I ever get oral sex?  He certainly accepted it all the time from me.  (Now, it was a metaphorical argument - I didn't really WANT oral sex from someone who didn't enjoy it or know wtf they were doing.  But still.)  And you know what that man said?  That if I took a shower and then put Saran Wrap over my genetalia, maybe then.  Maybe then I could be happy with oral sex.  As if I could be happy receiving something from someone who is so grossed out by my body that they need a f'ing barrier between me and them to tolerate it.  None of this was hitting my sweet spot.  None of it seemed more than anything I could get from a good friend who was a roommate.  And we weren't roommates - we were spouses.

It didn't matter that we were were friends.  It didn't matter that we had some love for each other.  I have all these things with others.  There was literally nothing making our relationship exquisitely special from anyone other relationship in my life.  Was there any reason we couldn't be friends without being married?  If we really liked to spend time together all that much, we would.  We didn't need a marriage certificate to do that.  I spend plenty of time with my good friends, and we have no certificates prompting us to do so.

I loved him at one point in time, and I never did wish him anything but happiness - even in our darkest days.  But stick around because we loved each other?  No.  That meant giving up all the things that I was marrying for in the first place.  Otherwise we could have just remained good friends forever.  I tried to rationalize that if I had all those things, and then my husband got into a horrific accident that left him paralyzed and unable to sexually perform (or even feel touch), then I wouldn't leave him, would I???  No!  Of course not!  Only even in that case he'd still likely want my kiss, look on me with desire even if it couldn't be fulfilled.  He could maybe still tell me how beautiful I was, and that I was his world.  I had a non-paralyzed man who wouldn't even do that much, and wouldn't tell me what the f*cking problem really was.  In the end, it didn't matter if his problem was that he was gay, asexual, or just not that into sex.  I was left with the same outcome - an unfulfilled need for intimacy on many levels.  It was clear that if I left, I still might not ever get all I needed and wanted.  But if I stayed, it was clear what I'd have to accept.  I would literally be choosing unhappiness.   And I just couldn't continue to choose unhappiness.  If I wanted to be happy, I had to cut this marriage and this man loose.  It was my only shot at happiness.  I already knew what I had wasn't working for me, nor was there any hope left for things to change.  I was at the end of the road.

I couldn't choose to stay together just because at one time, we had (or I thought we had) it all.  I am vibrant, giving, and have so much to give others.  I couldn't handle not giving that to someone, and having it be readily received.  I was tired of having no outlet to pour out my desires and excitement into.

I respect everyone's right to be in a MOM.  I just feel that most often, it's fear-driven.  You won't crumble into a shell of person without them.  Neither will they without you.  You can still be friends if that's the way it works out.  You don't need to be married to spend all your free time together, or take your problems to each other.  So you love them.  I love plenty of people - I don't consider them my spouses.  They don't need to be.  But I DO NEED my spouse to give me mental and physical intimacy.  I won't settle for less.

Now that I have that, I cannot believe I suffered for so long without it.  I told myself countless times that love doesn't give up.  Only he'd given up on me long before - I wasn't worth loving except in a friendship kind of way.  Fine - so be it.  I took my chances that the future would be better.  And it blew my past out of the f'ing water.  I don't even know how I was surviving that way for so long.  It all seems so pointless now, when I look back at it all.  He's so much happier now too that he's allowed to express what he wants to a person who gives him back what he needs.  It's clear to me that staying together would have been so limiting to us BOTH.  And not the message I wanted to send my kids about what to expect in their own futures.

Kel

Last edited by Kel (October 24, 2016 1:05 pm)

You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

October 24, 2016 6:22 pm  #23

vicky wrote:

Rob, It's interesting that you say that your life at home is better than it had been.  Now that the dust has settled on my initial shock I am starting to feel that way too.  I've heard others say the same, they understand their spouses better now and it seems to work for them. 
Vicky

I know how ludicrous it seems, but since my husband of 28 years finally confirmed my long term suspicions, we have had more meaningful communication and yes, sex. I'm am only about 4 weeks into this new journey of my life. It is (and I hope) the hardest thing I have ever had to endure. We have committed to working on our marriage with the goal of staying together. I don't even have words to explain my feelings.  I go back and forth daily on what decisions I should make. I am exhausted of thinking and rethinking about it. Hopefully I can find friends here for support.

October 24, 2016 7:03 pm  #24

Hi Sherry, 
I know me too.  Our sex life is better and overall we've both been generally happier (after the shock was over).  It's like the elephant in the room is gone.  I flip flopped a lot initially though I really couldn't see us separating that idea never felt right.  You can check out Alternate Path on Yahoo groups if you're looking for a woman only chat group.  I'm on there but I come here to SSN too.

I disagree with the notion that we stay in a MOM because we're afraid.  Honestly it would be easy for me to leave, I have employment, enough income, youth, I'm attractive, I would do fine.  I stay because he's a great guy, he loves me, treats the kids and me amazing.  He just happens to have a SSA (same sex attraction) too.  Sex is important to me and as long as we're still having sex I'm sticking around.

Vicky

October 24, 2016 8:35 pm  #25

Sherry,
 I too experienced the thrill of more meaningful conversations and "yes, sex."  But a little over a year after that I can say that to me this was not a genuine indicator that long term problems were solved, or that we could solve them.  The difference between our sexual orientations becomes a larger obstacle every day.  A younger woman I knew said, when I described this, as "break up sex," which was a shock to me, as I'd thought it might signal a renewal of our marriage despite the difficulties.  

jk, I have experienced the same thing: my husband wants to be held, and is scared of a life lived in the way he has suppressed for so long.  It's very hard to resist his need to be comforted, but I've come to believe it's a way for him to avoid the consequences of what he's declared he needs, and unfair of him to ask me.  That he would ask me to comfort him, in fact, feels pretty darned narcissistic--he knows how tough this is for me, but he's willing to ask me to comfort him nonetheless, even as he has declared his interests are elsewhere.

October 25, 2016 4:48 am  #26

Dear Kel, No-one in their right mind choses to be in a MOM. Almost all of us made this painful discovery somewhere along the road. In my case, as my partner/wife slowly came to understand herself, her orientation, and its un-changing nature. So I'm a little puzzled by your 'have a right to be in a MOM'. I would give anything not to be. And yes, I know that I could leave. But 'we are broken together'. I have the choice of leaving, and losing all or most of what we have together, in the hope of finding something better, another, better relationship. But with no certainty or guarantee. At nearly 70 years of age. Or coming to terms with what I/we don't have, don't, can't share. And savor the good things that we do have, that we do share. There's no painless way out or on.

October 25, 2016 8:20 pm  #27

Thank you everyone for sharing. From what I have read here, most straight spouses felt better after divorcing their gay ex-husbands/ex-wives. So in this particular forum there seems to be more of a bias towards break up rather than staying together...an opinion that I share as well based on my own personal experience.

Perhaps those living in mixed orientation marriages (MOMs) would find more support and perhaps better examples in a MOM-friendly forum? I'd hate for any of you to feel attacked or debased because you've shared here. With that in mind, I'm very happy to share my own story as it might help some of you who are struggling. After I came out to my wife, we too were determined to 'make it work' for 'the children's sake.' (We have three children.) We held hands, we slept together, co-parented, and generally pretended we were still a couple. We did not have sex following disclosure. Why? I am 100% gay. I have ZERO attraction to women and admitted as much to my (then) wife. Therefore our relationship would always be celibate and completely devoid of intimacy. Neither of us wanted this although we tried for a time. We found freedom via separation and divorce because there was simply no future for us. Given my own experience, I don't see how trapping a gay spouse in a heterosexual relationship would result in anything but disaster. However, I can see some hope for MOMs working under two conditions: one or both spouses were bisexual; and there is honest communication. If I myself were bisexual, I'd still want to have intimacy with my former wife and love + intimacy are so important for any long-term relationship. What's my point? Right and wrong are largely a function of my perspective. While my marriage ended, this doesn't mean every gay/straight relationship is doomed to fail. But big hurdles remain. 

Given what I've read, I still fear that MOMs are largely one-sided. I believe the straight spouse will continue to do most of the heavy lifting, making ever greater efforts to maintaining the relationship. There is also the real possibility that a gay spouse will claim he or she is bi-sexual as part of the coming out process. Moreover, a number of straight spouses have alarmingly referred to their partners as having 'same sex attraction', or SSA. I've only ever heard straight spouses use this term. It strikes me as an attempt to think of homosexual feelings/attraction along the dangerous lines of a choice rather than a hard-wired attraction. This has its own risks. Before divorce, my wife wanted me to 'try harder' to suppress my own attraction to men. This would be akin to me asking her to 'try harder' to have sex with women to maintain our relationship. She simply wasn't attracted to women so I'd be asking the impossible of her. I acknowledged that I was 100% gay so if we tried to remain a couple, it would be insanity: trying to do the same thing over and over again but expecting a different result. 

I'll end this rambling post by sharing that I do believe MOMs can work. Why? Because they exist and I don't have any right to deny nor denigrate these relationships. Denying that MOMs exist would make me as guilty of everyone who claims that homosexual relationships don't exist. For a MOM to work, however, I believe the couple must have clear, honest, and open communication. Most importantly, I believe that one or both partners must be honestly attracted to the spouse they choose to spend their life with. Without a genuine attraction to the opposite spouse, inevitably the SSA spouse will start looking outside of marriage for sexual satisfaction. I hope that helps in some small way.  

October 25, 2016 11:29 pm  #28

After reading your post Sean I googled the term 'same sex attraction' and must admit to being amazed at how many links to religious organizations it brought up.

I don't think it's exclusively a 'conservative Christian' term (as the Urban Dictionary claims) as it does appear on some Australian government web sites. I live in Australia so naturally Google is bringing Australian links to the top.

I've always seen it as a 'catch all' term that basically means gay, lesbian, homosexual etc. I don't think anyone here has ever had an 'agenda' in using the term.

I've read the criticisms of the use of the term and honestly can't see what the problem is. Some people claim that the term implies that 'same sex attraction' is a choice or fixable. I can't see how the term itself implies that at all. Maybe people who don't like the term only have that opinion because the term is used A LOT by 'pray the gay away' organizations.

Does anyone else think the term is somehow tainted or loaded? Anyone else find it problematic?

You have a future. A good one. It begins as a flicker of hope. Nurture it until it becomes a dream and when you are strong enough you will make it a reality. NEVER give up. 

October 25, 2016 11:46 pm  #29

Hi, Steve.  Interesting discussion here, regarding the "same sex attraction" or SSA label.

There are negative religious connotations to the SSA label.  The SSA label can also directly hurt gay people as well as straight spouses.

Steve wrote:

After reading your post Sean I googled the term 'same sex attraction' and must admit to being amazed at how many links to religious organizations it brought up.

That's one of the problems with the SSA label.  It's commonly used by religious institutions that are unwelcoming towards gay people.  Many religious institutions are now very welcoming, fortunately.  The welcoming places use the words "gay" and "lesbian" -- I've never heard any of them use "SSA."

Steve wrote:

I've read the criticisms of the use of the term and honestly can't see what the problem is. Some people claim that the term implies that 'same sex attraction' is a choice or fixable. I can't see how the term itself implies that at all. Maybe people who don't like the term only have that opinion because the term is used A LOT by 'pray the gay away' organizations.

Does anyone else think the term is somehow tainted or loaded? Anyone else find it problematic?

The main issue I have with it is that it can be used to minimize the reality of being gay or lesbian.  It's a type of "safe" term used by gay and lesbian people who are mostly in denial.  As in, the person can say to themselves, "I may have same sex attractions, but that doesn't mean I'm gay.  After all, I'm a man who is married to a woman!  So I'm a straight man with SSA, but the SSA doesn't define me."

So in other words, the term can help perpetuate the denial that a gay or lesbian might have.  And denial is poisonous and a huge driving factor for entering into a mixed orientation marriage.

Last edited by Jeff W (October 25, 2016 11:54 pm)

October 26, 2016 1:38 am  #30

What I say is that after 30 plus years struggling with her same sex attractions,  my wife came out to herself and to me as a lesbian. She first said 'bisexual' then she corrected herself and said 'lesbian'. And given that she knows how much our sexless relationship pains me, I have to accept that if she can offer no intimacy at all, no compromise  (mutual masturbation, for example), she really is 100% lesbian,  now relieved that she no longer has to pretend or to force herself.

On the deeper, wider, more important point, I sadly conclude that there is no help and support here for those of us who chosen to stay with our partners. When I say that, it's just a fact, there's absolutely no judgment of the choices that you have made. Had I discovered the reality earlier,  that we had a mom, I probably would have left too. For the sake of us both, not just for myself. But this is such a lonely road. There's so much fellowship and support for gays and lesbians coming out of MOM'S,  and lots of support and fellowship for recovering straights. But SO little for those struggling on. MONMOM on Yahoo currently has 239 members, and I think, including me, 3 straight men married to lesbians! My other 'home' is the MOM forum on the Gay Christian Network. There I am one of the only straights.

Board footera