OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2020 1:37 pm  #11

Re: Divorce process - How to have a Fault or No Fault?

Since my life has been turned upside down, I thought about my "purpose" and what I want. I've always wanted to go to law school. Yes bad timing and $$, but all this research and lawyer fees, I am seriously thinking about it to help out the shattered spouses!

I know I only have one shot at this and while I don't want to take it all and as he said when I got upset "just take everything and throw me out in the streets with nothing. I will start over". I didn't want to do that because that's just not me. We had joked before if we ever got a divorce, he stated he would tell the judge to just give me everything b/c I'm a good negotiator. I did tell him if you piss me off, I will take you for all that you have. So now am I letting my emotions get in the way of my principles? If it were anyone else, a company, friend, etc....I would tell them they have messed with the wrong person.

My sister told me it's time to be "selfish" and think of myself  bc he obviously didn't think of me. He has not started the transition process yet, but just hearing him talk about hair removal, hair transplant, etc I know he's moving fast. The assets to divide would be stocks, etc and he can't cash those out yet b/c they have not vested.

Now I need to ask myself do I wait to finalize all this based on my principles? Or do I want to just get this all over with and do it fast?  

December 20, 2020 2:49 pm  #12

LostAtSea wrote:

........Now I need to ask myself do I wait to finalize all this based on my principles? Or do I want to just get this all over with and do it fast? 

I reckon your principles should oversee everything you do in a divorce.
Even though I don't think my partner would fight me ...I didn't think he'd treat me on a "needs to know" basis either (he didn't think I needed to know any of the parts of this Mindfuck he knew would upset me) which told me that I don't actually know this man...at all. 
So I think it would be wise to confront everything that comes up based on your principles....which now more than ever are now entirely your own, because you don't know what your husband may come up with.

Wishing you strength....Elle

KIA KAHA                       

December 20, 2020 3:32 pm  #13

Although it seems amicable now I wouldn’t trust it going forward. I’ve seen way too many “amicable” divorces get ugly quickly. 

December 20, 2020 3:32 pm  #14

Even if you on the division of assets there likely are documents necessary to complete the transfers of financial assets and avoid unanticipated tax consequences. That is where having an attorney comes in handy. If either of you has a pension it's not a do-it-yourself situation.

May I suggest that you consider giving Massachusetts more time because the Boston area is a good place to meet new people and try new things. You might not have ever thought of living there were it not for him but when it opens up after Covid it should be exciting again.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

December 20, 2020 7:30 pm  #15

If you have negotiated a division that seems fair to both parties, my personal choice would be to take the money and run (to quote the Steve Miller Band). I understand the desire to stand on principle but, in this case, you may delay your timeline and perhaps not gain any financial advantage, especially factoring in extra fees for taking this to argue in a courtroom. If "he" is on a fast track to becoming "she", you might want to get this done as fast as you can. You will always know the truth, and he can't deny it once the transition happens.

The choice is always yours, this is just my thoughts on the matter. In any event, take care of yourself.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

December 20, 2020 8:22 pm  #16

@Abby - I loved Boston when visiting, but moving and living there no so much. The cost of everything, parking and ridicolous roads. Granted I have only been there 2 weeks before COVID, so I haven't experienced much. I would prefer not to be in a city he/she is at. I think this would help me move and heal faster not running into on the street.

@TangledOil - Yes, it was all amicable until he told he was going to be completely honest about his new found revelation, but he's not. His "timeline" of oh I justf figured this out and its like a runaway train. I don't buy it for one minute. I even tried to be compassionate to his fears and suicidal thoughts and my heart was hurting for him, but not anymore.  When someone shows you their true colors believe them. I was being so nice and helping him find a therapist and even had couples therapy. Yes, I've lost my mind!!!  It's all good when its love and now it's turned into war. Now he's not speaking to me on the advice of his therapist b/c I point out honesty is not what we have here.

@Daryl - There are a few division of assets I don't know how to move on. And also the spousal support. I don't know if I will even get that. 

I've contacted a few attorneys so hopefully one will call me back tomorrow. What a way to spend Christmas week!! Can this literally get any crazier?

PS--When anyone asked me what happen??? I say to them, think of the most F up story you can think of and that is it! My clever sister figured it out! She said he's transgender. 

December 24, 2020 11:18 pm  #17

I have consulted with many attorneys in both states  and found out that now I have to wait since I have not established residency in MA nor TX. If I file in MA in 2 months and for some reason it gets amended, I need to go back there. If I file in TX I need to wait another 6 months! I decided to just go with MA so this can be faster and be DONE! MA is just uncontested and no fault. I swear I wanted to have this annulled, but the money and the time and trial. I would totally do this off of principle, but it's not worth me spending the $$.

Can this get any worse? Why YES it can!

I will be quiting my job after the pandemic since my employer wants all personnel back in the office. Since I have a job now, this does not qualify me for spousal support!!! I am worried about finding a new job during these hard times and health insurance.

Filling out divorce papers on Christmas Eve. Isn't that the best present ever? (Sarcasm, Sarcasm)

December 25, 2020 12:30 am  #18

Maybe go in and keep your job for now?
Just because you have a job does not mean you don't qualify for a support.

Also remember he may be entitled to half of everything but it means he is also entitled to half of the debts.

Its only a season..I truly believe God is looking down and sees the difference between wrong and right.

Prayers and blessings of strength and fortitude.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

January 12, 2021 1:37 pm  #19

I do not want to move back to Boston, so I won't keep my job unless I can work remote.

02/11 - Update to my mediation. Apparently MA has a fault and no fault case. I chose and uncontested divorce, but apprently did NOT know the mediator was going to put "lack of communication" as the reason for the divorce. I told her on principle I was not comfortable signing this. The mediator stated she puts a "general" description and not "detail".

She stated when  you appear in front of the judge and she/he ask why, just say we no longer get along. I said NO! I am NOT going to lie. She said what will you say? I said there's ONLY ONE way to say the truth. I was blindsided with a phone call about this trans news for 16 years. She said then the judge might not sign this and it will become a "fault" divorce and drag out!

I told mediator I went into this marriage on lie, I am NOT going out on a lie.

So I basically have to put my character and principles aside and "lie" to get a divorce fast! This is so wrong and annoying and basically F up on so many levels! The madness never ends!

Last edited by LostAtSea (February 11, 2021 9:31 pm)

May 19, 2021 10:46 am  #20

@LostAtSea
I'm just reading your post and wondering where you're at in your divorce? Reading through, it sounds like anger & fear were driving the decisions; the wounds were fresh. I am 1.5 years from making the decision to end my 30-year relationship and I have my first official meeting with a lawyer today. I was trying to create an amicable situation to save my house and avoid tormenting my son, but need to END it. 
Some things that were positive in taking the time to exit were that I've saved some cash, created documentation, scanned all his financial papers I could find, and worked on my own mental health & career situation. I hope things are working out for you now.
Do you have any tips for meeting with a lawyer?

Last edited by broomhilda2 (September 18, 2021 8:41 am)

Board footera