OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2020 10:20 pm  #1

hey, Inkundermyskin

Just wanted to respond to your posting your story.

" i don't know what to say from here. i just cant seem to stop hurting. she's moved on with a woman. i cant seem to see any other woman the way i seen her. even after all this.
terrible awful place to be."

you must be hurting an awful lot.  sorry to hear it.  that's a lot of extra hurt to process with the children and the money, she has not treated you well at all.  so what I wanted to say is that at some point it won't be about her any more and that is light at the end of the tunnel.  

I hope you make a straight woman happy some day.

wishing you all the best, Lily

December 15, 2020 10:28 am  #2

Re: hey, Inkundermyskin

thank you. i feel for her. if she's lived hiding this her whole life, i cant imagine how that must feel. the thing that those who come out, don't understand, is the deep hurt that it causes us. when she decided to come out, to be herself, it wasn't just about me losing her kids. the life we built. it was more what she took from me. my ability to trust. be open.faith. and for me, the biggest part, was the vulnerability she took from me.im 47 years old, and just cant shake the feelings of shame. ignorance. was fooled. blind by "love" i know that to change anything about ourselves, it starts with wanting it. loose weight. stop smoking, drinking etc. but we have to want it. for us.
but i dont want to love again. i dont want to trust. i dont to try. i was an old school true romantic. thats all gone.  

it is, what it is. 

December 15, 2020 1:55 pm  #3

yeah, me too - an old school true romantic.  So I know what it's like and think it's good that you are being protective of your heart now. 

I'm in my 60's, it was an awful long marriage but finally I was divorced -  that's several years ago now but I well remember the raw hurting state of me and omg the new men I met - the ones asking for a date were gay.  I just looked at them.  Part of my brain is just fusing on the recognition that they don't give a fuck what I've just been through how I might feel finding myself dating another closet gay - they see it as a green light to proceed, here is a nice woman who will tend to my comforts.  The other part of my brain is just handling it.  One guy I said you're gay you might feel happier if you just admit that, oh do you think so, he replies.  He had been coming on all friendly.  Happy to be friends, I say, but I'm not going to date you.  He just about ran away!

I was still in the process of divorce when I did fall in love.  a straight man, I already knew him and he was briefly available when his wife left him, it felt so wonderful for a few short weeks, but then his wife came back.  I can't get over him but I got over my ex quite easily at some point along the way.

December 15, 2020 2:51 pm  #4

im so sorry lily. seems like the ones who love the hardest, hurt the most. 
i have love hard tattooed on my knucles. i love one way. all the way. feel like that was taken away as well. maybe time will help dull the pain. just not sure till will ever fill the empty spots. as wrong as it is to say.....those spots were for my one person. i was married before her. with other women before her as well. right or wrong. she was my person, and i just assume leave those spots hollow now. best of luck to you though

it is, what it is. 

December 15, 2020 3:30 pm  #5

Read your story.

Yes we love fiercely and honestly.  I do not think we were naive or foolish.
Rather we were honest, strong, and loyal.   

It hurts when they are not the same and reject us..like the years we spent together meant nothing.

That is the difference between us and them.  Its not right or moral and does not make sense.   But ultimately that is who these spouses really are.

They do not deserve us. It may be years from now but when you're ready you will find you have have strong fierce love that some kind woman may be deserving of.   And I think you will find as you meet people that even a stranger can be more honest and moral than your ex.

Gather strength and walk on.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

December 15, 2020 4:19 pm  #6

thanks Ink.

Yes I understand how you feel.  I remember once doing this first aid course and the ambulance officer who took the class was explaining how the heartbeat worked.  There's a little chamber above the heart with a whole squad of little bits in it and in amongst the little bits there are a few bigger little bits, 10-15 of them.  So it is one of these larger bits that acts like a cheerleader and all the little bits go in a Mexican wave and that makes the electrical pulse that causes your heart to beat.

The time comes when the cheerleader dies.  And when that happens one of the other bigger little bits takes over the role of cheerleader.  Modern medicine can install a pacemaker but without that, once all the bigger bits have come to the end of their natural life, then that's it, your heart ceases to beat.

So maybe like there are a few potential cheerleaders in the pack, there are a few potential soulmates.  one at a time.  but I have to admit that I had this strong feeling - this is the big one I thought as I fell in love.  Like it is the one and only and that's 7 years ago now, so IDK.  I was watching a show on the telly a couple of days ago and one character says to another (who's just been sprung being unfaithful) well I didn't know how long it would be for, it could be forever and I couldn't just wait for you and the reply comes - that's what love is, being ready to wait.  

Like Rob says, like you say - me too, it's all in isn't it. And I think that's where people can be happy in love, when it's both ways.  

these people who marry opposite sex when they are same sex attracted are deceptive, we believe in them, believe they are our soulmate and marry them, we give our all and yet we can never be joined at the hip, they are just pretending.

December 15, 2020 6:02 pm  #7

Hi Ink. I'm 5 Months in from my Dday, married 22 years and together 29. It does get better my friend. I have hope and I'm 51! I took my wedding ring off on saturday night, it was hard but it hurt worse leaving it on. I too was an honest ,trusting loving husband. As much as this hurts, there is no turning back, to me, 10 minutes after she told me, I was like, My marriage is over, it can't be fixed. So with that out of the way on day one, I have been able to take baby steps to recover. It's hard ,but look after yourself. Prayers your way!

You can hurt me with the truth,but please don't love me with your lies.

December 15, 2020 7:11 pm  #8

thank you all for your kind words. its been hard finding others that can relate. no one in my real world gets it. its not the same as others who have had their relationships just end for whatever reason. the ending sucks, but then to find out about their sexuality. its a facet that most people cant relate to. its hard to take their works of encouragement. here. this forum this is comparing apples to oranges not apples to apples. . 

it is, what it is. 

December 19, 2020 4:28 pm  #9

Personally I don't see how it ever gets better. It's been over 20 years and I still can't replace my idea of love or marriage with **anyone** else. It seems to have been tied to my philosophy of life. I agree with the apples & oranges and feeling of "my one". This is how it's been for me my whole life. They say it's an attitude, but it's also neurology. I don't think some things can be "fixed".

December 19, 2020 5:17 pm  #10

clintonia wrote:

Personally I don't see how it ever gets better. It's been over 20 years and I still can't replace my idea of love or marriage with **anyone** else. It seems to have been tied to my philosophy of life. I agree with the apples & oranges and feeling of "my one". This is how it's been for me my whole life. They say it's an attitude, but it's also neurology. I don't think some things can be "fixed".

20 years? im sorry about that. some may see that as bad. i can see that as just the reality. time doesn't make things go away, huh?

it is, what it is. 

Board footera