OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2020 1:38 pm  #1

How Much Responsibility Should Be Taken?

Hey folks,

So I'm pretty new to the SSN and I just posted my story. Please feel free to check it out. So my question is how much responsibility do you feel straight spouses should take in the process? My ex disclosed her feelings for women to me, so thankfully she didn't venture outside the marriage which I think would be really difficult. She does try to place to some amount of responsibility in our separation by making comments like, "you wouldn't have been happy or satisfied intimately".  Although there is some truth in this...I mean the lack of affection, passion and intimacy was a large part of our arguments towards the end. What I'm realizing is that I shouldn't feel guilty though because I didn't have any intimacy issues....she did because she liked women and not men. 

Just thought I'd ask around and see if there is anyone with similiar situations. 

Thanks,
Jeremy

November 22, 2020 2:39 pm  #2

Re: How Much Responsibility Should Be Taken?

Hi Jeremy,

funny how the straight spouse is always the one on the sofa.  In my situation, a bit further on in life, I realised we needed to sort things out between us before the second property was bought.  He wanted to buy a holiday house.  And we ended up divorced first - I have my own place.  I got a really nice bed.

I am going to be completely blunt.  sorry to hear you still love your wife.  I hope you get over it soon.  Not only are you on the sofa, she has got her new house and keeps the bedroom in your shared home.  That is exactly what I was facing too.

My suggestion is that you check out https://www.chumplady.com

you might find it interesting reading too.

lots of good luck, wishing you all the best, Lily

ps, just wanted to add I know how tough this is, so sorry to hear - it is heart-breaking.  so just look at your feet, see where you are standing and take the step in front of you and that is enough that's all you have to do.  You are not responsible for this.  Not one bit.   

Last edited by lily (November 22, 2020 2:48 pm)

November 22, 2020 3:17 pm  #3

Jeremy,
    When my ex came out to me he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder.  He believed that he was hard-done-by all around, mostly by society for its condemnation of his sexuality, but also by his mother, whom he believed shamed him when he expressed vulnerability.  I came in for a lesser amount of blame, but he got around to me, too, although he couldn't blame me for not accepting him when he came out to me, because I was quite supportive, and at a steep cost to myself that I didn't recognze at the time. But when we were in the process of divorce, one day he said, "Our problem was communication," and followed that up with,  "But I didn't feel like I could talk to you," leaving unsaid what he meant, which was "because you made it difficult for me to talk to you." 

It seems to me your ex has done something similar, in a sexual vein.  We had also had our years of difficulty connecting in the bedroom, too, but when you're in a marriage, thinking you're a partnership, you do think in terms of that partnership, so you look at it as "our" problem, and look to see what you yourself might have done to contribute to the problem, and what you might do to fix anything that might be down to you.  What we don't know, when we're partnered to people with whom our sexuality is mis-matched, is that not only are we not a "we," no effort of ours is going to fix the problem, because there is a fundamental mis-match in sexual attraction creating an unbridgeable distance that prevents intimacy.  I think you're right; we don't have intimacy issues--we have spouses who were unavailable to us in ways that made intimacy impossible. 

I read your story, and this phrase really stuck out to me: "I'm wondering why I had made so many concessions when she was the one going through the change."  I think this is very common for straight spouses.  We try to accommodate, for many reasons, among them to be supportive, to try to save our marriages (part of the thinking as a "we"). I remember jkpeace, who was on the Forum when I first came here in September 2016, saying she told her husband that if he was even a very small percentage "hetero" that she thought they could make it work.  Later, after their divorce, she wrote she looks back on herself and what she was feeling when she made that statement to him and can't believe she was that desperate.

For what it's worth, my two cents are that you are being more than reasonable to tell your wife that you have decided you are no longer comfortable with the ping-pong arrangement you have, with you shifting between houses.  You need to grieve the loss of your wife, the loss of the future you thought you were going to have, and you should not have the added burden of doing so with evidence of her new lesbian life in your face.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (November 22, 2020 3:23 pm)

November 22, 2020 5:50 pm  #4

I really appreciate the responses. Yes this is all very new and fresh for me so I'm going through ALL of the emotions. For me, I need to realize that I bare no responsibility in any of this. I didn't "turn" her gay and I'm happy that I was able to support her through all of this but I agree with the fact that it's my turn to grief the loss of my wife, who is now a completely different woman that I married 16 years ago.

Thanks,

Jeremy

November 22, 2020 6:01 pm  #5

....or in the case of my story, he shifts the blame to me saying, 'you were never happy no matter what I did'.....I guess wanting to be touched by the man I loved and have some intimacy is a high expectation.  But it's not his fault he wanted to be with men, that was all of the people in his life suspecting that he's gay.  It's their fault that he wasn't sure.  You see, it's always someone else's fault.  In fact, I ended it b/c I found out he had affairs with men.  If you ask him, it ended b/c he wasn't happy.  He can't even address the elephant (or the gay man) in the room! Hang in there, it's a mind-twisting ride, but this is a great place for support.

November 22, 2020 9:01 pm  #6

Jeremy,

Welcome.

Read your story...I think you went above and beyond.  Kept your vows and promises.

My gx suddenly stopped coming near when she started he affair..it was suddenly instant rejection dont come near. 
Cruel and cold.

Don't think you should take any of the blame.   Keep your place..get on with your life.    She is no longer entitled to your time, skills, talents.. your kids are.   

This is not us leaving them..this is them rejecting us.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 23, 2020 9:26 am  #7

Her journey is not your responsibility, separation ended that. You have a responsibility to the kids and yourself. I must say the idea of home swapping seems to me to be unsustainable. You need your space, set up your way or else you may feel like a constant (unwelcome) guest at both properties. Don't neglect your own peace of mind during this process. (And get some legal advice if you haven't already done so.)

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

November 25, 2020 8:48 pm  #8

Jeremy, I relate to your story because it is very similar to mine and I think I’m in a similar phase of this process. I posted my story in the support forum instead of stories by accident. We even had the conversations about swapping homes, but didn’t end up going that way. I’m only a few months in from the discovery day, I still love my ex, and I’m having a hard time, sometimes, letting her go. This group has been helpful for me, as have the group zoom calls. I hope we both find peace and the pathway to better times.

November 26, 2020 2:07 pm  #9

Straight Spouses should take precisely zero responsibility.  The reason for the demise of the relationship is directly related to their concealed sexual orientation.  So you were a straight guy trying to keep a lesbian happy in marriage?  The probability of success is low.

Sometimes, the non-straight partners try to accuse us of behaving badly or irrationally after discovery or disclosure.  But how can any Straight Spouse be the best version of themself after a nuclear bomb has been dropped on their life?  Again, a failing task.

Z.E.R.O.

November 26, 2020 10:48 pm  #10

is there anything lower than zero?  I wish there was!

the gay one gets extra responsibility on top of the 100% responsibility for the mismatch by trying to foist their responsibility onto their straight partner who is innocent.

it is such a pattern, this thing of the gay ptr making the straight one think it is their fault and then demonstrating an incredible lack and refusal to take responsibility for the current situation as well as the past.  

just want to add - sure some behave worse than others but as far as I can tell, pretty much it looks to me like they are all looking out for themselves while their straight partner is looking out for them - so that's what i want to say, no matter how much you love them, watch out for being taken advantage of.

Last edited by lily (November 26, 2020 11:02 pm)

Board footera