OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2020 10:54 pm  #1

What age were you and your partner when you started questioning...

I’m just curious what age you and your partner were when you started questioning if they were LGBTQ? 

As for us, we were on the verge of 50 and this presented as a midlife crisis. 

November 16, 2020 11:18 pm  #2

Re: What age were you and your partner when you started questioning...

good question, I always knew something was different about my X-LW although I could never pinpoint what it was exactly (not sure if this makes sense) I started suspecting something was amiss around 2011 (that would make me 58 and her 54). 

November 16, 2020 11:51 pm  #3

how long were you together?  my ex and I were together for a long time, again always knew something was wrong trying to fix it but no real idea that it was a complete charade.  until I was 57.  He would have been 61.

Maybe by that age it is round the mulberry bush one too many times and nowhere for them to hide any more.

TO, I have yet to hear of anyone going from a long term gay partner to a long term straight partner.  I get what you're saying - the people who come out of straight marriages and find gay partners are really gay in denial and not true bisexuals, but if bisexual literally means you are oriented both ways then why aren't there any gay to straight changes?

November 17, 2020 12:28 am  #4

Interesting that we're all around 50+ so far. 

Lily, 

There certainly are men who are bi and have had very serious relationships with both men and women and who eventually married women. They don’t all end up with men. David Bowie is a prime example in celebrities, but there are others. Jason Mraz is another well known example. In fact we know someone who was married to a woman for 30 years, eventually divorced and was in relationships with several men over 15 years, and then married a woman again. Research shows 84% of bisexual people marry opposite gender people. 

My husband identifies as heteroflexable/bisexual and has never had a romantic interest on any level with a man. We’ve been monogamous for close to 30 years. 

Last edited by TangledOil (November 17, 2020 12:35 am)

November 17, 2020 2:48 am  #5

ah okay - I don't know one of the names you mentioned but I think David Bowie is generally thought of as being gay.  

that bisexual men marry the opposite sex does not surprise me, that doesn't mean they fancy women though.

I mean, I know it's very complex and for some - sorry time has gone away from me, must go will be back in a while

okay i am back.  yes um okay so yes very complex and if we straights think it's intense it sure must be straightforward compared to some of the more complex make ups where mating behaviours are not all aligned.

but I juat think there are some basics.  

I often think of Mervyn Peake with his push-me-pull-you animal.  He drew pictures and everything and the push-me-pull-you looks like a normal deer from the front but when you try and go round the back you find you are facing a head again.

As a way of expressing a feeling, a sense of being, it is fantastic.  It exactly captures that bewildering sense of not being able to come to grips with my ex that I felt in my marriage. 

As a way of depicting physical reality - no.  The food has to come out somewhere.  You can't have a face at both ends.  Not going to happen. two sets of feet wanting to walk forwards in opposite directions.  It's not a goer, is it.

and that is my understanding - it is a magnetic pull - there has to be a basic direction in sexual orientation. 

Last edited by lily (November 17, 2020 6:50 am)

November 17, 2020 7:23 am  #6

Hi lily. I'm just 4 months in. Our life in the bedroom has been stale through out our whole relationship. I always thought it was the abuse she suffered as a child. I look back , and in hindsight it is so obvious. BTW, she came out to me, she is 49 and I'm 51. I have many good years ahead of me.This I know.

You can hurt me with the truth,but please don't love me with your lies.

November 17, 2020 8:01 am  #7

"What age were you and your partner when you started questioning LGBTQ?" 

My husband and I were in our 60s.  Married for ten years.  I don't understand why he initiated a relationship with me (we met when we were in our 50s) given his sexual identity ambiguity.

We are divorced now and I have no contact with him.  A mutual friend told me he was using dating websites.  I hope he knows what he is looking for this time.  

Last edited by Leslie77 (November 17, 2020 8:02 am)

November 17, 2020 9:12 am  #8

She was about to turn 40 (I'm , and we had been married 14 years.  We were done having kids, and our youngest child had just turned five years old.  My ex-wife started acting very strangely, and she put me through hell while she tried to maintain the secrecy of her affair.  Her behavior was secretive, erratic, and downright mean as she realized she was not into dudes.  She claimed she was going through a "mid-life crisis" and also blamed her odd behavior on an alleged thyroid imbalance.

November 17, 2020 11:25 am  #9

My husband was 66 & I was 64 when I first saw the CL ad on his iPad with the nude photo of a man. I only got that he liked having sex with both men and women then, but didn’t find out for sure that he was actively doing it until June 1, 2019, when he finally admitted to one . Then, after he realized I was serious about a polygraph, he told me about all the rest Nov 24, 2019. That was when I found out he’d been cheating our entire relationship. He’d been doing it since Boy Scouts. We’d been together 15 years when I first found it.

November 17, 2020 11:33 am  #10

Lily, 

Bowie was always known as bisexual. If I recall correctly, when he came out as bisexual early on people didn’t like it... his career took a dive and I think that’s why people rather believed he was gay. I guess gay was easier to accept than bisexual, but he was indeed bisexual. 

https://bisexuality.wikia.org/wiki/David_Bowie

My husband and I have always had a great sexual connection, which is saying something nearly 30 years into our relationship. Him being bi doesn’t lessen our sexual connection at all. We have never gone more than a week without sex, except for one time when we were both sick and missed out on three weeks. We also feel we are each other's best friend which is a fantastic feeling. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (November 17, 2020 11:38 am)

Board footera