OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2020 9:29 am  #11

Re: The "Other" Other

longwayhome wrote:

I second OoHC advice. I’m one of those straight spouses who knew nothing about her husband’s bisexuality.

They will lie to anybody to save their closet.

But, I have a different experience that I can share with you.  I’m not sure that everything about your relationship was a lie.

Upon discovery, I was overwhelmed by learning my husband was bi, which allowed for some conversations that might not have otherwise occurred. During a conversation about possible STDs, I asked him, how do you know this other guy isn’t meeting up with other guys and putting you at risk? The shock I saw on my husband’s face spoke volumes to me. His response - he isn’t. I found it odd and unacceptable. That’s when I realized that what my husband had told me, it’s just sex. No it wasn’t just sex. I saw such tenderness in his expression when he talked about this man. A tenderness I had never experienced from him myself. Everything registered for me.

I share that with you because maybe it can be helpful for you in moving forward knowing that they do have true feelings but their closet is still more important for many of them. So, I would still run if I were you. Take care.

Thank you! Yes, I believe it's his closet talking, and gaslighting. I'm moving forward, but I need to deal and heal.

November 15, 2020 11:49 am  #12

Good for you! That is so excellent of you to share resources! Please keep up posted if you are comfortable!

November 15, 2020 12:24 pm  #13

janett747 wrote:

Good for you! That is so excellent of you to share resources! Please keep up posted if you are comfortable!

I will. I really care. I have not heard anything, but of course, she might not respond, at least for a while, if at all. I hope she has notifications turned on. I don't use Messenger much myself, but I turned on my notifications for this purpose.

Josh (Steve) usually says hello in the morning. He didn't today, but that could also be because of the emotional intensity of our conversation yesterday and the relationship ending. Also, the whole family goes to Mass on Sunday morning, although with the pandemic numbers spiking, I'm not sure if it's perhaps being video streamed like it was in the spring. Basically, I'm on pins and needles right now with not knowing. I'm very anxious. I don't know what to expect. She might even come to my house. She could be angry, upset, in a state of shock--I want to be sensitive to her trauma and handle it right. Ugh.

Last edited by buck67209 (November 15, 2020 12:27 pm)

November 15, 2020 1:56 pm  #14

Buck,
   That took courage on your part.  
   Just remember.  This is Steve/Josh's burden and shame to bear, not yours.  Don't do his emotional heavy lifting for him.  It's also their marriage to sort out.  Once you tell Steve/Josh that you've alerted his wife, and that you're done, go "no contact." 

Edited to add:
   Your choice to do the ethical thing is in direct contrast with the pathological behavior developed by the closeted.  
    I have a further question: do you think any of the resources on the closet that you shared with your former lover (Steve/Josh) would be useful for straight spouses?  And if so, would you be willing to post them here on your thread?

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (November 15, 2020 2:01 pm)

November 15, 2020 2:10 pm  #15

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Buck,
   That took courage on your part.  
   Just remember.  This is Steve/Josh's burden and shame to bear, not yours.  Don't do his emotional heavy lifting for him.  It's also their marriage to sort out.  Once you tell Steve/Josh that you've alerted his wife, and that you're done, go "no contact." 

Edited to add:
   Your choice to do the ethical thing is in direct contrast with the pathological behavior developed by the closeted.  
    I have a further question: do you think any of the resources on the closet that you shared with your former lover (Steve/Josh) would be useful for straight spouses?  And if so, would you be willing to post them here on your thread?

Thank you. I'm not going to bother to alert Steve. I'm afraid he might do preemptive damage control to confuse her. As far as I can tell, she has not read her message yet. It has the gray circle with the white check mark. I don't use Messenger much, but I believe that means it has been delivered and seen, but not opened. I sent another message: "Steve is cheating. I thought this might better alert you in the preview. Note my previous message. Sorry." My first began with an introduction, which she might have thought was spam. "Steve is cheating" might prompt her. 

I agree that this is for them to work through once disclosed. However, if she contacts me with questions, or needs more context, I'll talk, of course.

Last edited by buck67209 (November 15, 2020 2:18 pm)

November 15, 2020 2:46 pm  #16

I might be blocked on Messenger and Facebook, but she never read the original message (just gray with white check mark and no pic), so did she think I was spam, or did he do it? Or is there no pic in the circle because I'm blocked? When I sent the second message, I got "This person is unavailable on Messenger." And now, her Facebook profile reads, "This page isn't available right now" with no profile pic or info. I think I will send the same information by mail. I'll add that I just want to ensure she saw the message I sent on Facebook Messenger, and leave it at that. I don't want to be overbearing, and if she did read the message and blocked me, I get it. However, I don't trust that he isn't monitoring her phone or social media accounts. Or that she simply blocked me thinking I was spam. 😬

LinkedIn and Twitter are other options, too. But mail might be best in case she did read it and had a visceral reaction. Thoughts?

Last edited by buck67209 (November 15, 2020 2:50 pm)

November 15, 2020 3:00 pm  #17

Totally possible she read your message and blocked you, maybe she thought it was spam or she didn’t want to read it. I think any of the other options have an equal chance of success. I dunno how you could ensure she gets a letter though. She may know what he does and is choosing to ignore all of this too.

November 15, 2020 3:24 pm  #18

janett747 wrote:

Totally possible she read your message and blocked you, maybe she thought it was spam or she didn’t want to read it. I think any of the other options have an equal chance of success. I dunno how you could ensure she gets a letter though. She may know what he does and is choosing to ignore all of this too.

Perhaps restricted certified mail? If she did read the message, but it seems she didn't, at least she'd have a couple of days to decompress so I'm not badgering her. I would see she signed for it and leave it alone. She is working from home right now, but he still goes to the office, so hopefully he won't be around. I might include a couple of text exchanges as proof, as well as his hoolup phone number. She could try texting him as a man looking to connect.

Last edited by buck67209 (November 15, 2020 3:28 pm)

November 15, 2020 5:01 pm  #19

Personally, I think that’s a good idea. Good luck!

November 15, 2020 5:40 pm  #20

My personal opinion, you tried and that's commendable. If you try too hard you might open yourself up to a claim of harassment so caution is advised. Your message might have dismissed as junk and blocked by either party. Perhaps it was read and declared ridiculous. Many of us here likely would have done that if we had no previous reason to believe otherwise. Perhaps it was shared and explained away as you being some crazy dude who won't leave him alone, maybe trying to blackmail him. Maybe she knows or suspects and doesn't want to deal with it. There are many possibilities but you can only do so much. At some point you need to walk away. Perhaps you planted a seed that might reveal the truth in time. Deciding not to knowingly participate in his infidelity was the right call. My $0.02 worth.

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

Board footera