OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2020 8:48 pm  #1

The "Other" Other

I'm new to this forum but have been consuming information from the Straight Spouse Network for months after seeing Emily Reese's Ted Talk video on YouTube. I am the "other" other because I had an (initially unintentional) affair with a married gay man (and I'm not a woman, lol). I'm glad the Straight Spouse Network is here as a resource for straight spouses mismarried to gay, bi, and/or trans spouses. While other resources for straight spouses are few, resources for the other other are nearly non-existent. I'm grieving over the relationship, need to get it off my chest, and would appreciate perspectives from straight spouses.

I met Josh in October 2019 after a local gay/bi Kik group chat. I live in a mid-sized heartland city that leans socially conservative, although we are big enough to have a gay community, bars, resources, active social media, etc. Ironically, a gay friend believed Josh might be his husband, so he'd asked me to chat with him for intel. After feeding some information to my friend to clear his husband's name, I continued to chat with Josh because I thought he was charming. I get tired of heterosexually married gay or bi men looking for casual hookups, so early in the chat I asked if he was single. He told me he had been married to a woman, but he was now divorced five years, looking for friends, and possibly more. I'm 53 and went a few years without dating much because I was caregiving for my mom until she died, and I'm attracted to men close to my age, but available ones are limited in my community. He was the same age as me. Bingo!

After a few more chats we agreed to meet. It went very well. He was charming, attractive, intelligent, and seemed into me. After a few more get togethers we decided to become boyfriends. Although he was divorced, and he had two kids who were in college, he said he still had a daughter in high school living with him, and he was not out to his family because of her. He wanted her to get into college before coming out. I bought it. Of course, he couldn't host, and he was a professional in a conservative workplace, so he was not out professionally, either. Therefore, we mostly hung out at my place, which was near where he worked. His house was in a suburb quite a drive from me, so I mostly saw him at lunch or in the late afternoon, with occasional weekend time. After four months, I was beginning to grow skeptical. Something didn't seem right. I got that he wasn't fully out, which I hated, but the restraint on time was bothersome. Regardless, the words "I love you" were being used, and he was so affectionate. After years of not dating, and more years since I was in a serious relationship, it felt really good.

Still, something was off. He initially told me he'd been divorced five years, but in another conversation he said three. Once, I was beginning to introduce him to a friend, and before I could say Josh, he extended his hand for a shake, saying "Steve." I asked him later, and he said Josh was his middle name, but he used his first name, Steve, more in professional interactions. I should have asked for his ID, but I hate conflict, so I figured I'd trust, but verify. Once I did more snooping, I found his real name, and I confirmed he was married!!!

It was a Friday night, and he was not responding to my texts saying we need to talk. The next morning, I drove by his house to see if his car was parked in front. It was, but so were about 20 other cars. I thought he must be having a family reunion. I was in turmoil. I'd been conned! Should I tell his wife? No, I thought. I was too emotionally charged. I would do it later so I could be mindful of how I break the news. That's when I started searching closeted gay husbands on YouTube and found Emily Reese's Ted Talk video, and through her, the Straight Spouse Network and its "Straight Spouse Voices" podcasts. It was incredibly helpful to learn what straight spouses go through. Also, I Googled his wife's name, and I learned her mom had just died and the funeral was that weekend. Not a good time to tell her.

That Monday Josh (Steve) got in touch with me (I learned he kept a separate hookup phone). He said he was so incredibly sorry, he never wanted to hurt me, he tells guys he meets he is divorced because saying he's married makes him feel like a creep, and then he didn't know how to unwind the lie. He wanted to talk to me in person. When he did, he looked so hurt, acted so scared, and was so very apologetic. He said he'd been working on coming out, but he didn't know how to go about telling his wife. He was working toward getting the courage to do it. I should have said, let me know after you do, but instead, I offered to hold his hand through the process. I was hooked. I loved him. If he was struggling, I thought, then maybe I could help him do the right thing.

We continued to see each other as before. On our six-month dating anniversary, I brought up his coming out. He said he wants to so bad, but he's not yet ready. I suggested counseling. He said it wasn't for him. He knew he was gay and what needed to be done, but he was worried about his daughter, too. I dropped it, but brought it up again after his birthday. Same story. I was starting to feel like the dirty secret and an enabler. I myself went into therapy to get a handle on it. A few weeks ago he told me to he had to leave early to meet a contractor at his house about putting in a pool next year. I thought this was odd. Pools are expensive, and even though he could afford it, he was always very mindful about how he spent his money. A couple of days later I pressed him about the decision to put in a pool. I said it didn't sound like someone who planned to come out to his wife. He said, "Honestly, I will never come out to her. I've worked hard my whole life to create the image of being straight, and I won't give that up." I was floored! I said we're done. He said he loved me and was happy with the way things are. He started to put on the charm. I said the only way I could continue is if he'd go into therapy to accept his sexuality and understand the impacts his closet has on others. He scoffed,""Therapy?! I'm sure it works for you and others, but that's not who I am!" His response seemed smug, as though people who get therapy are broken, when instead they are smart to recognize the value of emotional wellness. I now recognize this as gaslighting. I had poked at his closet, and he gaslighted me as a defense mechanism. If he was doing this to me, he was likely doing it tenfold to his wife.

After that conversation, we had several text exchanges wherein I shared information about the harmful impacts of closets on straight spouses. I framed it as tough love. He ignored them, said he didn't need to read them, etc. Finally, in an exchange a few days later, I asked if he had any concern at all about what his closet and infidelity is doing to his wife. "She's fine," he said. "Don't worry about her." He provided not one expression of empathy toward her the entire time we were together.

I returned a text message saying he had three choices. (1) He will tell his wife he's gay. He can take a couple of days to contact a lawyer and get his ducks in a row, but she can hear it coming from him and perhaps he can be mindful, listen, and try to minimize her trauma. (2) I would tell her, not out of resentment, but compassion for her being married to a man who has lied and cheated on her for years. I considered this to be abusive. I didn't tell him that I'd already planned to contact a friend of hers on Facebook who was the supportive parent of lesbian daughter and her wife. I thought she might be able to cushion the blow. (3) He would get counseling, work through his closet issues, and come out to her with the support of a counselor. He must provide receipts. He chose #3.

He is now two counseling sessions in. He says he has retained lawyers and is laying the groundwork, but he needs more counseling before he comes out. I hope he is telling the truth. I think he is. But what hurts is he also said he never loved me. Our relationship was meaningless to him. He is sorry if that hurts, but I should know the truth. I don't believe him. I think it's more gaslighting, as well as compartmentalization. But it's not about me, although it hurts tremendously. I hope I'm doing the right thing.

Do any of you have experiences with the other other? What are they? Because if he does come out to her, I want to talk with her at some point to apologize for continuing to see him, share my story, let her know how I handled it, and why. I also want to make sure she is aware of the Straight Spouse Network, and to see that she is getting the support she needs. I also realize she might hate me, at least at the beginning. What might I expect?

Finally, while I'm not a straight spouse, I am an ally. I have never been in the closet, dated a woman, led a woman on, or any of the sort. Frankly, I'm baffled that this is still happening in 2020. I thoroughly respect this forum as a resource for straight spouses. As a gay man, I run across far too many married men on the apps looking for hookups. It's breathtaking. I hope to learn from this experience and educate other gay men on dealing with heterosexually married gay and bi cheaters, as well as for them to understand the impacts that hooking up with these guys can have on straight spouses. Thank you!

Last edited by buck67209 (November 14, 2020 9:47 pm)

November 14, 2020 9:57 pm  #2

Re: The "Other" Other

My heart goes out to you and I thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry for the pain this has caused you. My husband (bi/cross dresser) has not physically cheated on me (straight female) with anyone else (as far as I know of course)  so I don’t have much to offer in that regard. I for one would be relieved to meet or hear from the other partner for validation & understanding, but I would think it would be a mixed bag out there.
I agree, it’s wild that this still happens in 2020.
I’ll add that people can sit in therapy a very long time & go through the motions, so perhaps consider putting some timeline on your expectation for his therapy process.

November 14, 2020 10:54 pm  #3

I doubt very much that he is telling you the truth.  That he's providing you with receipts for counseling sessions says nothing about the story he's spinning to the counselor.  This man is a practiced liar who is just as practiced at compartmentalizing.  
If I were his wife, I would want you to tell me.  
Also, if I were you, I'd run as fast as I could away from this man.  He's trouble for all concerned. 

November 14, 2020 11:05 pm  #4

I second what OutofHisCloset is saying 100%. Run and don’t look back. Consider yourself lucky to have gotten out of this other man's mess early on. 

Last edited by TangledOil (November 15, 2020 1:07 am)

November 15, 2020 1:14 am  #5

Thanks for the feedback. I initially thought the timeline idea was good, but my own counselor said to consider that he's a highly skilled liar and to follow my gut. Someone told me he was on Grindr (gay hookup app) this weekend. I'll see what others say. What do you think about contacting the wife's Facebook friend with the lesbian daughter? They comment on each other's posts a lot and live in adjacent suburbs, so I figure they are friends offline, too. My thought is to tell her about the situation to see if she can help me to disclose, or give me advice on how to approach her.

November 15, 2020 6:13 am  #6

If it were me, I would rather be told directly, not through a friend. I agree on following your gut! Keep us posted!

November 15, 2020 7:15 am  #7

Approach your mutual friend for advice, but don't ask her to be the one to disclose.  Look at it this way: your mutual friend telling the man's wife that she has been told her friend's husband is cheating with men, and you telling the man's wife her husband is cheating on her with you is the difference between hearsay and first person testimony.  You can also offer evidence of the cheating, and details that are convincing.  If you're worried about looking bad to the wife because you were sleeping with him, you can also tell the man's wife that her husband deceived you, too, by saying he wasn't married.

You telling the guy's wife has much more force, and the wife is more likely to believe you (and your evidence).  It's really hard for us to accept a fact like this about our spouses, especially if we've been married a long time and have had no clue (and yes, it's possible to have no clue).  If your mutual friend tells the wife, the wife may explain it away--and distance herself from that friend.  Not a very nice position to put your friend in, either.  This is between you, the cheating closeted husband, and the wife. 

Telling this abusive cheater's wife would do a lot of people favors: the wife, the children, you, and all the other gay men who like you are not looking to be this man's "gay bit on the side."  

Above all, end it with the man.  Being an unwitting dupe in someone else's deception of his wife is one thing; continuing as an affair partner after you find out is another, and unethical behavior has negative moral consequences for you.  You seem like an honorable guy who wants to stay that way.  

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (November 15, 2020 7:21 am)

November 15, 2020 7:31 am  #8

My husband used to downplay the relationships on both sides. To me, he would say that it was just meaningless sex and he would never leave me for them, that gay ppl particularly trans are super unstable that it was impossible to be with them....and I would snoop and he would be texting them that I was just a roommate or we were divorced already or he would just say he was single and never bring me or my kids up and hook up at the other persons house, car or hotel. I say all that to say I’m sure he’s lying to you. He was honest when he said he wasn’t going to give up his straight persona so get ready for that battle. That’s also why he’s on Grindr, looking for another easy hookup because that’s just what they do.  He would also justify it by saying look at how much time I spend with them (30mins - w hrs) versus with you ( most of the day) It was just something to pacify me with.
Im sorry you are going through this, the deception that you are experiencing is very hard and stressful. My best wishes to you

Last edited by HurtAndConfused (November 15, 2020 7:43 am)

November 15, 2020 7:31 am  #9

Buck

Interesting.   My GXs girlfriend was also a married closeted woman.   So they were two homewreckers.

I think it was my psychiatrist who asked if I confronted her girlfriends husband yet ..and I was like to say what to him?..he was said to be a jerk by my GX..and then it dawned on me that she was telling the girlfriend what a jerk I was.

I thank God every day to be away from such remorseless liars.  It baffles me how they can believe anything they say to each other.

I think you should run for the hills from such a lying person.   He will do it to you and not feel one bit of guilt or remorse.  No amount of counseling will fix that..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

November 15, 2020 9:23 am  #10

I disclosed directly to her via Facebook Messenger. I feel sick to my stomach, and I hope I did the right thing. This is how I handled it. I removed names for privacy.

---
Hello, ###. I'm ###, but most of my friends call me Buck. I have some difficult news to share regarding your husband, Steve, who also uses the alias, Josh ###. He is gay and has been unfaithful to you. He has hooked up with many men through the years, and cultivated at least two romantic relationships with men, including with me, saying he was divorced. I am so very sorry, but I think you have the right to know. I hope you see this right away. He keeps a separate phone for his gay life. It is likely hidden in a box on the top shelf in the garage, or in the car or truck he has most recently been driving. I know it's in one of those locations today, unless he changed it, because we text messaged each other yesterday. Otherwise, he usually keeps it at his office. Below are links to resources, plus a forum post I made regarding our situation. I needed feedback from others who have been in your shoes. I hope these links help. I will answer any questions you might have. Again, I am very sorry, and my heart goes out to you.

Emily Reese was a straight spouse, and her Ted Talk is compelling. It was helpful to lead me to garner a broader perspective, and a window to see what straight spouses endure.
https://youtu.be/PnMrY7ihQPk

The Straight Spouse Network is a support group. Get in touch with them. They can personally connect you, possibly locally, with others who have gone through this situation.
https://www.straightspouse.org/contact-us/

Additionally, they have a "Straight Spouse Voices" podcast. These are also available on iHeartRadio.  I recommend S3 Ep. 19 'Pretending to be Straight,' and S3 Ep. 11 'The Gaslight Effect' to start, but there are many other valuable podcasts worth a listen.
https://www.straightspouse.org/straight-spouse-voices/

Finally, I used the Straight Spouse Network forum to get feedback on what to do. My post, "The 'Other' Other," explains how my relationship with Steve unfolded, but there is much more to it if you want to know.
https://straightspouse.boardhost.com/viewtopic_mobile.php?id=2290&action=new

Board footera