OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2020 1:34 pm  #1

I need a break...

I’m going to give myself a well deserved break from all of this for an undetermined amount of time. My husband is committed to me and me alone and I need to try to stop looking for a way that he can feel completely whole and that also won’t destroy me. This isn’t his issue anymore. It’s my issue. I’ve never in all these decades with him felt the need to say no and the thought of denying him anything is hard and it’s become my issue. 

Tangled Oil 

October 28, 2020 1:45 pm  #2

Re: I need a break...

We wish you the best Tangled.   We will be here to support you if you choose to come back.   Best!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 28, 2020 4:19 pm  #3

Tangled, your own situation has priority. 
You've been very brave trying to support others, while still working on your own path with your husband.  That's quite something! 
Feel free to PM me if you wish, also for contacting my wife about more input from her about the issue of "denying" you mention. She certainly can tell you more about that aspect, and how she handles this from the non-straight perspective of it. 

Wish you the best.

October 28, 2020 8:42 pm  #4

Breaks are good...and necessary, I think. As long as you stay true to your values and look after your own heart & well-being, you'll be fine. 
Warm wishes <3

October 29, 2020 12:43 pm  #5

Take care , Tangled. I’ll be thinking about you. 

(((HUGS)))

October 29, 2020 2:48 pm  #6

Thank you all. I don’t want to hang out here too long, but I just wanted to thank you all for your comments and support. Dutchman, I will message you later when I feel more comfortable hanging out here again. I came to a conclusion today that I need to forgive myself for not being able to be accommodating to the wish my husband expressed when he first came out to me. I think that my biggest hurdle right now. He has always known it was a big ask and he never expected me to agree, but I put pressure on myself to try to eventually agree. Anyway, I’ll stew on this some more, but I’m trying to focus on positivity at the moment. 

Hugs, 

Tangled 

November 2, 2020 10:53 pm  #7

Dear TangledOil,

Good for you.....take your break.  It's good that you know yourself and are taking care of yourself.  I wish you joy and peace.

November 4, 2020 6:32 pm  #8

Thank you Sonata. 

Last edited by TangledOil (November 5, 2020 12:16 am)

November 13, 2020 2:45 pm  #9

Hello everyone, 

I hope you are all well. My periods of anxiety over all this continue to get further and further between, but sometimes I wonder if I’ll have the anxiety on some level forever. A terrifying thought. I’ve heard people say pay attention to the actions of your spouse and not the words. So, so true. My husband isn’t big on saying the reaffirming things I’d need him to say as often as I’d need him to say them and really would I believe those words if he said them to me 1,000 times anyway? No, probably not. My husband’s actions are showing me he is in this 100%, but I’m still doubtful at times when the thoughts of how this was all revealed come back into my mind. He was miserably depressed for a couple months before I got an answer from him as to what was going on. I recently asked him why he was so miserably depressed. I had never seen him like this. He said he was very scared about how all this would eventually play out. He said he thought if he confirmed he’s bi i’d immediately kick him out (almost 30 years monogamous and 4 kids... etc). I told him I didn’t care about him being bi. I’ve always known on some level anyway. Anyway... we’re still going along. We’ve built a wonderful life together and we don’t want to throw it all away over him accepting he’s bi finally. I wanted to add, we’ve occasionally discussed divorce in the abstract and agree that it would make things worse for us both individually. I do appreciate that he says that since he was the one who threw the monkey wrench into our relationship he’d completely understand if I decided to walk, but that would not be his choice. 

Thanks for listening.

Tangled 

Board footera