OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2020 10:18 am  #1

"Had to check it off the list".......

I am about 5 months in to discovering evidence of my ex fiancee having affairs w/men. From what I know, he had a regular bud, and random hookups. The evidence is over a 2 years span about 5 years ago. The story in my mind was that he most likely transitioned to apps/snap/etc for communication therefore no more texts beyond 2017.  I did see texts however, where he did not reply when some reached out.

He has only confessed to one man, 'no sex' just massage w/happy ending.  And says he had the thoughts in his mind and wanted to find out.  He says he didn't like it, but need to check it off to be sure.  

We are having better conversations and communication than we ever had.  He's very private and closed off so coming out of 8 years I still feel like I have so much to learn about him.

My motivation for the communication is to learn more about him, maybe he learns more about himself and in some strange way it's helping me process and move through this without anger, but rather compassion.

Does anybody have an experience where it was a "I need to explore this to be sure" situation. And how did that go?  I am reading a lot about this and seems it's more common than I imagined.  Was it a mid life crisis?  

He says it was mechanical, but what he didn't like about it was it was not emotional.  This confuses me - isn't that what it's about for them - just sex?

Any insight into 'it was a phase" and did you forgive or how did you work through it?

I'm not denying the betrayal and the fact he still hasn't owned up to the other men. But his story of.it was a phase can be supported by the evidence I have.

Thanks - always look forward to hearing wisdom and thoughts......

October 24, 2020 12:04 pm  #2

Re: "Had to check it off the list".......

Interesting topic for sure. I think for some it’s just about having fun and getting off. And for others it’s about the emotional component. Both my husband and I believe his curiosity was because he was sexually abused by an older male when he was quite young and it was pleasurable. He was young enough that he didn’t know it was wrong until many years later. My husband has come to the conclusion that he is what he’d call heteroflexible. He’s mostly into women, but if he had an exceptionally trustworthy male friend he wound consider him for very occasional opportunities for “penis play,” The thing is, my husband doesn’t think he would likely find anyone he’d trust anyway, along with me not being on board. The abuse really messed him up in that regard. He had one male friend that he trusted when he was 19. That didn’t last long and they both went their separate ways. My husband has never had any romantic interest in men or crushes on men. It popped into my husband’s head that maybe he can consider that again with the same person. That’s what started all this nonsense about a year ago. Nothing happened. The friend lives states away and isn’t aware of my husband’s recent thoughts. 

I think many people would consider anyone that can offer them pleasure. Out of curiosity I made an account on a threesome app recently. Holy freaking cow... I was not prepared for the shit people are into. I never through of myself as prudish, but I now realize both my husband and I are quite prudish/conservative/vanilla in our sexuality. 

Last edited by TangledOil (October 24, 2020 4:39 pm)

October 24, 2020 1:00 pm  #3

Tangled,
thanks so much for your reply.........I appreciate your final comments as well. I created an account on DoubleList mostly and at first thinking I would 'catch' him but it has turned out to be informative.  Seems I live under a rock. It's quite a spectrum of straight into men, bi, fluid, etc.  I guess that might be why I need to determine where my guy fits. But again, it's not about boxes....so what do I do with that?  
Confusing things more, our sex life was very vanilla - for me even less passionate and connected than any of my other relationships.  I always chalked it up to him being 10 years older.  How have you made it work or gotten your mind to a place where you can be in your marriage and have trust?

October 24, 2020 1:05 pm  #4

Reading a lot of the stories in here (and other forums), the unfaithful partner very rarely confesses to more than there is discovered evidence for. Trickle-truthing, minimizing & blame-shifting are very common.

I only have the experience of being a full-time straight person—so I can't say whether or not a "gay phase" is a thing—but my instinct tells me it's probably not. Deep denial, repression, and shame are very real....and very common, though...I think that's why so many rationalize it as "just sex..." or "just a penis fetish" (I see this one a lot.) Bisexuals often lament what they call the "bi-cycle" where attraction to same-sex people is very intense at times...and muted during other times. Maybe that is what your ex-partner is experiencing....

I also think it's entirely possible that his same-sex experiences weren't enjoyable for him without the emotional element. That is true for many people (men/women/straight/gay/and everyone in between).

I totally understand that you want answers...and some sense of closure—but if you're not married/no longer partnered & have no children—maybe it's best (for your own mental health) to get some distance so you can heal from what was no doubt a pretty traumatizing experience. 

October 24, 2020 2:55 pm  #5

For me it helps that my husband had answered every question I’ve asked since this surfaced and I feel he’s been honest. My husband’s not a good liar at all. When he was really dealing with all this mentally for a couple months there was very obviously something wrong. He was always on the verge of tears and shuffled when he walked. He was reading articles about wives leaving their husband’s and he was getting more depressed thinking that he was going to lose everything. I think because of the abuse he’s pretty distrustful of people in general, but particularly of men. He’s a very careful person... careful with whom he allows as friends. Crazy enough but his best friends are coworkers that are in their 70s. I think all that he’s been through has kind of made him an old sole. Also I have carte blanche access to all his devices. I had to look up “gaslighting” because I didn’t even know it’s meaning. My husband has never gaslighted me for which I’m very grateful. 

I could be wrong, but I think in some cases it helps if one has a hell of a lot to lose. My husband has a lot to lose if he’d do anything stupid. 

I must agree with Julian though... if the relationship has ended I wouldn’t stick around and possibly get snared in again. Now is a great time to try to move on if you’re already out of the relationship. 

Oh also, my husband says there's no bi-cycle for him. It's always there at a low level. 

Tangled 

Last edited by TangledOil (October 24, 2020 3:06 pm)

October 27, 2020 2:11 pm  #6

Totally not cool I would suggest you counter argue with you checking off the list of men opposite to him ( just to be sure you arent missing something!!) eg- fair as opposed to dark, Black/white  tall/short , slight /muscular etc and check out his reaction , it wont go well let me tell you !

Why these men think that its not cheating technically if its same sex is beyond me !

Last edited by Virion (October 27, 2020 2:12 pm)

October 27, 2020 4:27 pm  #7

checking it off the list is a lame lie.  A person doesn't have sexual interactions with another person to simply check it off the list.  You know in advance if it's something you like or don't like.  It's not like trying a new flavor of ice cream. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 27, 2020 4:42 pm  #8

Guess I want to reply ..as a straight guy..if you put a gun to my head..there is no list.  Its not something any straight guy has on a list.   Just wanted to say that..

I found in my snooping my GXs list..things on it like get stupid drunk etc.   At our age some of the things seemed childish ..but I didn't see kiss a girl on there ..because she was already doing that..

Thing is..she never shared any these goals or list with me.  It was like I was holding her back..like a parent holding a teenager back..I was suddenly a determent to her..keeping her from woman and other things..I was the source of all problems and unhappiness in her life.  This is her reasoning to this day. 

TGT is a terrible thing for us straight spouses ..it creates this doubt, anxiety and  mistrust that is, now, always there. It creates self loathing..as if we are or never were enough for them. 

But we used to be enough.  Reality is we are enough..this is all them. This is their list. But just because they write it down does not make it moral and right..

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 28, 2020 6:45 pm  #9

Blindone,
I also had the “checking off the list” story. But the first check was not enlightening enough, so he had to check once more, and once more. I think he would still be checking if I hadn’t found out...

October 28, 2020 7:42 pm  #10

Marta.m, thank you for this.....!  Exactly my story! He's only owned up to the one that I know the name. Denies denies denies any more, but I have proof. I don't want to put all my cards on the table.  I'm letting him get into his therapy and perhaps he will come out with more truth. I'm being a much kinder human than I thought I ever could be. Perhaps even stupid! Thank you again!

Board footera