OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 24, 2020 1:01 am  #1

painful truth

In May I found out my husband had an affair with a man.  He initially lied when I confronted him with evidence.  That didn't last long because I called his lover up and the man told me the whole truth and then my husband began talking to me about it.

Now in couple's therapy he admits that he is bisexual. He still thinks that he has chosen to be with me, that he loves me and doesn't love the other man....he has broken off contact, yet when really pressed admits that he misses him and would like to have an open marriage where he can see the guy a few times a year.  To me, it's all irrational.  How can he say he loves me and still want to be with someone else?  I told him that I am not interested in this kind of arrangement.  

It all makes me unbearably sad.  After 21 years together, I have to put up with this?  Well, no, I don't have to, but I really don't see a way out.  Basically, either I have to accept that my husband is bisexual and will probably want to be with a man again or he has to be able to deny this side of himself.  Both seem unreasonable, I suppose.  

Very sad tonight.  I thought maybe we could work our way through this.  We both do love each other very much.  It's just my husband found out about himself and I don't see a way out.....

October 24, 2020 2:14 am  #2

Re: painful truth

What I mean is I don't see a way out except separation and divorce.  I keep looking for a different solution....but I don't see it right now.

October 24, 2020 7:09 am  #3

Sonata,

A warm welcome to the forum.

It's very hard to see a solution when you're in this situation.

For myself it was traumatizing..she would say she loved me but then was actively cheating and calling me horrible names to her girlfriend.   Her words became meaningless..if she said the sky was blue I didn't know if I could believe her.

It's a journey I think..I think it becomes more about ourselves than our spouses..
What do YOU want ? How much hurt is acceptable or ok in a relationship YOU are part of? How does him going out to meet a buddy for a beer make YOU feel?  What do you want in life..what would be ideal and make YOU at peace and happy?
What do YOU think the word love should mean in a relationship?

I think many of us here think about our spouses more than we think about ourselves because we love them so much. That is ok and right...but with their revalation of TGT it forces us to redirect a bit of, or sometimes all of, that fierce love to ourselves.   It feels foreign to us but our spouses keeping such pertinent information from us..we know in our bones is not right.
It is not loving or looking out for us.

In the words of Kel on the board here long ago.."if you're not looking out for yourself, who is?"  We thought it was our spouse..but now we find they were not.   

Do not feel any guilt or shame in now reaching in and asking yourself those questions.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 24, 2020 3:10 pm  #4

What are you willing to tolerate? I told my husband under no terms would I be able to tolerate him having a FWB. He gets it. He knows it’s not normal and he knows I have every damm right to have a say so. 

October 24, 2020 4:42 pm  #5

Sonata,

My husband cheated with men for our entire marriage until I finally had enough on him for him to admit to ONE man 6/1/19. He finally admitted to the rest (knowing I was going to get a polygraph) 11/24/19. Then, he wanted an open marriage, too. I’m strictly monogamous, so he had to decide. He doesn’t want a relationship with a man, just oral sex every couple of weeks. So, if we separated, he would have 20-30 minutes of “Whoopie!” ...that he’d be throwing away a lifetime of a marriage for that & it wasn’t worth it. So, we’ve been trying to work it out. He’s been faithful & is trying to work on our relationship. He’s going to counseling. 
When he asked me for an open marriage, I told him he had a lot of nerve after having sex with men all those years behind my back & then asking for my blessings to do it. He also showed NO respect for my beliefs when he did that. Needless to say, he never brought it up again. He knows if he wants to have sex with men again, that our marriage will be over. NO discussion. 

We’re working on it & have our ups & downs, but he’s been faithful & is actually proud of it. He’s in counseling and doing all the things he’s ‘supposed’ to do, sometimes even after I’ve not been really nice. 

best of luck to you.

(((((HUGS))))

October 24, 2020 5:09 pm  #6

Thanks Susanne,

I am glad you guys are working it out.  It can't be easy.  I'm not sure how to trust my husband.  He says he has broken off contact with the other man (so he says.)  He could be emailing him.  I don't read his email.  I don't want to be constantly checking in on him and keeping tabs....too hard for me.

Thank you for your support.  I appreciate it.

October 25, 2020 2:40 am  #7

januceyes1,

I feel the pain of what you are saying.  So sorry you are feeling this.  I wish you and me and all of us some peace from all of this, i really do!

October 25, 2020 2:47 am  #8

After talking today, its seems my husband and I are at a deadlock.  He wishes that I could accept his bisexuality and occasional dalliance.  He is trying to decide if he can give that all up and commit to me.  I am sad and furious that he finds this a difficult decision.  Mostly, I am just tired of the dance with him.  So tonight I feel that we will have to go our separate ways and it is immeasurably sad.  He feels the same.  If it were only about this maybe I wouldn't feel this way, but there are other issues too. 

He really, honestly feels this is different because it is a man and an important part of himself he's found.  To me, it's just an affair with another person and an internal boundary that if I let him cross and I say it's okay, then I have no self respect.  I wonder, is it really that black and white?  Feels that way right now.....

October 25, 2020 4:43 am  #9

Hi Sonata
I've been following the Forum for some months now, always more focused on the MOM section, at least in the beginning. Last January I found out that my husband of more than 30 years had had physical contact with men. These last months were the worse nightmare I have ever been through.
I decided to register today because I totally identified with what you wrote and the point where you are. Someone recommended that I wrote a diary with my thoughts about all this and what I wrote on that diary yesterday was strikingly similar to what you wrote in your post. That's what encouraged me to register after all these months. I just wanted you to know. 
I wish we weren't here, none of us, but if there's one thing that I've learned is that we should focus more on ourselves, on what we wish and like. It's hard to take decisions though, as if our brain hasn't quite understood or adapted to what's going on.
Take care, together  we are stronger.

October 25, 2020 7:38 am  #10

Hi Marta,

Welcome.  I am sorry that you are going through this too.  This online community is very supportive and I have found it very helpful.  This is so very difficult especially after such a long time and 30 years is a long time.  I agree that we have to learn to take care of ourselves and think that's an apt point that our brains and hearts haven't really caught up with the reality which makes it hard to act.

I also have a 13 year old autistic son.  He is very high functioning but he is very exhausting.  I am not sure I could handle him alone and I worry what it would do to him if we were to separate/divorce.  Part of me wants to see him through together at least through high school which isn't that long and part of me thinks it's time to be apart from my husband.  It's confusing.  

I wish you well and hope for clarity for you and for me.  

Board footera