OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 15, 2020 2:43 pm  #1

Can the Gay go Away ? Other straight spouse stories

Hi l hope the title doesn't sound flippant but this is what my husband says has happened !
Came out as homosexual in March after depressive breakdown. Also had been impotent with me for 2 years but asked repeatedly for anal stimulation and bingo..erection
started wearing womens underwear and manscaping
we agreed a MOM after he realised we could divorce but he swears monogamy 8
His disclosure was public to all we knew. Then over the summer stated he felt 'less gay'
My suspicions are up now however as he is in great form..better than l knew him ever in 10 years..literally skipping around the place.. can't do enough for me..very interested in sex with me as a woman again with NO erectile issues.No mention of anal..
I think he's in love with someone and doesn't realise yet...did any other stories evolve like this
He just says the gay obsession went away even though he knew this since he was 12 and has had sexual encounters with men and had been suicidal over his orientation for years..
Am l totally wrong here?
Thanks all

October 15, 2020 2:56 pm  #2

Re: Can the Gay go Away ? Other straight spouse stories

Virion wrote:

When I first found this Forum * and welcome Virion * my posts at first were full of what my partner was doing, had done, my sadness at what he had said to me. 
Your post is full of what's going on in your husband's life, how great he is....

What about you.....what do you want your life to be like? 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

October 15, 2020 4:27 pm  #3

No—the gay never goes away. In fact, the gay desires often seem to grow with age....(based on stories I've read in here and other forums). I'm not sure if there's a physiological reason for that (fluctuating hormone levels, etc) or if the non-straight spouse just becomes more comfortable in his/her identity....which, in many cases, they've repressed for most of their lives.

I'd spent way too much time on the "bisexual men" and "Married and bi" subreddits to try to get some insights from the "other side"—and a common theme/complaint is what they call the "bi cycle"...where the "gay side" waxes and wanes for days, weeks, or even months or years at a time...Frankly, it sounds pretty miserable...though no one knows what causes it. Perhaps that is what your husband is experiencing. It truly is a "mindfuck"...as it's been described many times here.

Last edited by Julian_Stone (October 20, 2020 12:06 pm)

October 15, 2020 8:59 pm  #4

My husband came as bisexual 16 months ago. After over a year of ups and downs, days he felt totally straight and days he felt totally gay, 2 days ago he finally accepted that he is gay. Over this year there were days when he almost had me convinced that the "gay had gone away". I'm just glad I did my homework. I read so much and I learned that when men first come to terms with their sexuality a lot of times in the first few years they will fluctuate with their level of acceptance. I was ready for the back and forth. Intellectually at least. But, I know that the gay never goes away and the desire and the urges only intensify as they get older.

Last edited by Texmom (October 15, 2020 9:01 pm)

October 15, 2020 10:18 pm  #5

I could not do it...I used to shake with the trauma..even when she went shopping with her straight friends..is she shopping or is it a date? Why should I have to wonder? She doesnt wonder when i meet a guy friend for a beer.

It's a lot anxiety and worry..the distrust.  It wore on me..made my chest feel tight..made me feel exhausted. I needed a full support system just to maintain reality and sanity.

I dont think its how someone that loves us should treat us..but that is what is so horrible about TGT..once we know there are no take backs.  To me it was just like my GX..if she was going to cheat or hurt me she was going to make it irrevocable, absolute, burn all bridges. 

Wishing everyone strength, fortitude, and courage.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 17, 2020 5:57 am  #6

Thank you so much everyone for the time taken to reply
Yes it's a curious one,  and yes I certainly don't believe that one can simply overnight change sexual orientation- especially one which my husband struggled with for 40 years !. I am interested in the timeline of events in other peoples lives , particularly as I'm only 7 months into this
His behaviour towards me has certainly improved , less mood swings  , my thought process is more what;s going on ...could he be in love or getting emotional support from elsewhere..he is almost HIGH on life..I have emotionally disconnected from him for my own emotional/mental health safety and 'I'm doing well too - for now 
Strength to all, Blessings

October 17, 2020 6:20 am  #7

Hi Virion,
You asked about a timeline of events in people's lives.  Mine goes like this: 

My husband and I were married when we were in our 50s.  He had never been married before.  We were really happy for eight years and then he started acting weird. Long story short - he became obsessed with drag queen shows and other gay events and then he started dressing like a woman and going out in public.  This went on for two years.  During that time period, he fluctuated - one day he absolutely needed his alternative lifestyle, the next day he was "all done".   Towards the end of two years, he admitted to sexual desire for men.  He went through intensive counseling but would not discuss it with me.  We ended up splitting up after two years, and then he claimed it was all just a phase.  I don't believe that.  It's not like a man can wake up one day and say "today I am going to wear a dress".  And it was all so sudden and intense and then - poof! It's over?  

I am sorry you are going through this.  I expect that every situation is unique but I am skeptical of the gay going away.  You sound like you are on the right path by looking out for your own mental health.  I wish I had done that.  Please stay well and all my best to you.  

October 17, 2020 9:48 pm  #8

I’m pretty sure that whatever level of gayness one has it doesn’t go away. I suspect the reason it seems more pronounced often as one ages is because they let their guard down and eventually accept it at some greater level. My bi husband claims his desires have not increased over the years, only his acceptance of that part of himself has increased. He was tired of trying to hide that side from me and he was tired of hating himself for his desires. 

Last edited by TangledOil (October 17, 2020 9:50 pm)

October 19, 2020 5:15 pm  #9

Knew I’d seen it somewhere. See link to full article and relevant text below. Hope helps! 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/03/did-i-ever-really-know-him-the-women-who-married-gay-men
’Did I ever really know him’?: The women who married gay men. 

Some reactions are more surprising. Service manager Roxanne says a post-disclosure honeymoon period can happen, and sex begins again because it brings back emotional intimacy. Such was the case for Madeleine. “Interestingly, after it came out, we had a brief spurt of sex together. The first time it happened, I cried. It had been eight years.”

Last edited by ExBeard (October 19, 2020 5:54 pm)

October 19, 2020 5:51 pm  #10

ExBeard wrote:

Knew I’d seen it somewhere. See link to full article and relevant text below. Hope that helps! 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/03/did-i-ever-really-know-him-the-women-who-married-gay-men
’Did I ever really know him’?: The women who married gay men. 

Some reactions are more surprising. Service manager Roxanne says a post-disclosure honeymoon period can happen, and sex begins again because it brings back emotional intimacy. Such was the case for Madeleine. “Interestingly, after it came out, we had a brief spurt of sex together. The first time it happened, I cried. It had been eight years.”

The post-disclosure honeymoon period is so common...I think it is probably a trauma response...Ideally, I think the straight spouse should have some distance post-disclosure to think clearly and process...Of course, that's not practical for most people....especially when there's children involved. Has anyone come across any good studies on "trauma bonding" (in this context)? 

Last edited by Julian_Stone (October 20, 2020 12:06 pm)

Board footera