OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2020 8:07 pm  #1

Life will get better

I've read many people on here say life will eventually get better. You'll find a hetero- love who really values you. While this may be true for many, I wonder if this is neurologically possible for others. Almost everyone who posts here appears to have been married or been with their partner as an adult, though some of them started relationships when they were younger. What of people who were used and lied to when they were children and young? Could one say that the psychological impact is the same or really quite comparable?

The person who lied to, gaslit and emotionally abused me made me his nearly inseparable best friend most of my childhood. I knew him better than anyone besides the three people I lived with. When we were older, he erased me and has always since erased and negated my life. In this, he wasn't a partner at all; he was central to my forming of life. I find it ghastly now that almost everyone seems to cheer that love has won when one of the foundations of my life acutely used me since I was a child and caused a huge trauma growing up that I have never recovered from. I've been dealing with it weekly, monthly, and for the last 5 years about daily, feeling terrified and attacked that people conclude "love" rather than truly lifelong abuse have won.

Others say that friends, family or even co-workers will support them. I was not married to this person. His initial emotional abuse occured when he was a preteen and teen (though he hasn't changed as an adult). Almost everyone seems to think it's inconsequential. For the last decade, I've been reeling with society indicating that "it's for the best" and because the other was oppressed they're innocent. My trauma, meeting him when I was 7, is mine to deal with: see a therapist. The other was the oppressed individual, a straight person could not be.

I'm not looking for a partner who loves and appreciates me in the sense some others here might be-- to simply move on to another love. I can't replace what my idea of marriage, life and love meant to me. Those ideas were formed with him. The hole has been massive my whole life. Why is treating someone like this considered acceptable so much that friends, family and the media refuse to address and denounce the trauma to others over decades, even when it's voiced to them? It causes me to believe people have wholly incompatible moralities if confusion or hiding oneself makes their treatment morally acceptable. It seems like practically no one cares about the sweeping away of one's life. 

Certainly others who've been in relationships for a few decades must find it incredible to be faced with the other's erasure and almost no discussion of fallout or harm to the straight individual in the public media. I feel like most people in general abett emotional violence in supporting those who were/are abusive, when they continue their lives without concern and everyone disavowing the people they harm. Is the only way to expect decency and respect from anyone to avoid personal relations because your moralities are incompatible? I think it's terrifying no one gives this abuse public credence.

I can't believe that it will get better in all cases, depending on what it was that was lost. Especially when society acts like the people they harm don't matter. I am not that old (comparably), but can these holes be "filled"? What does it being "filled" mean? Simply being able to function "normally", and being accepting of those decades?

October 10, 2020 11:10 pm  #2

Re: Life will get better

Clintonia - I am so sorry for what you are experiencing. I resonate with much of what you have said. We experience a second layer of trauma with the invalidation of our experience of trauma. It is not inconsequential. Others just don't always recognize the layers of sexual and relational betrayal and trauma.  I do believe healing is possible, though I have accepted that  my view regarding the"goodness of mankind" is forever changed. While disapointed with this, I can accept it. I think it is possible to hold the AND view. I can be angry and traumatized by the abuse and dismissal AND recognize they may have developed adaptions as an adolescent that contributed to maladaptive behaviors as an adult, that they are just coming to terms with. The harm to you should not be minimized by whatever his experience is. I do think life gets better, but I am not sure it ever returns to the "normal" you once knew. For me, filling the "holes", has been a painful and illuminating journey. I always "filled" with all my attention on a male partner; and now have chosen to stay single to learn to fill me with "me". It has been the most empowering experience of my life. It isn't as exciting or romantic, but it is deeply satisfying and provides a security that I know will sustain me for life - since it is born of me.  I think of it as learning to fill the "holes" caused by harm from others, of "not-enoughness", with your own superglue of self-loving affirmation.  Learn to "have your own back". And know that others care about you, too. 

October 11, 2020 11:58 am  #3

Dandelion,

I like your way of looking at this and also how filling the ‘holes’ to heal. Good analogy.

thanks.

October 20, 2020 7:07 am  #4

My therapist: 'Please don't speak to anyone about this'. Trying to prevent the second layer of trauma which Dandelion just described.  

Agree. It reads your struggling with lack of acknowledgement and validation. Feel your experience is being downplayed and denied. Hampering your recovery. I found this more traumatic than the coming out. Became angry with those who lacked sensitivity and understanding. Which soon became everyone. Ended up feeling isolated, alone and invisible. Stopped going out and watched my social life go down the pan. I simply couldn't take another jarring comment.

My perfect world became unjust. I lost all sense of navigation. How could one do everything right only to get destroyed by another and no one care?

I hope my post makes you feel validated and less alone. It does get better. 

Last edited by ExBeard (October 21, 2020 11:08 am)

October 20, 2020 10:29 am  #5

The victim of ghosting is forced to wonder if that person ever cared. Feel dispensable. Those years a complete waste. A great sense of injustice. Intense feelings of abandonment and rejection. It's a psychologically disorientating experience. Victims lose all faith in their intuition. As it failed them last time round. And humanity, no individual should be so heartless and cruel. Many battle accute trust issues when starting again. If the ghosting had no forewarning, it can shatter the victims nervous system. Resulting in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). I found this more traumatic than his coming out.

Toxic relationships have a strong intensity and can be schizophrenic. Causing defectors to suffer a mild strain of Stockholm's syndrome. Their sense of self worth remains wrapped up in this one individual. They acutely miss albeit hate him at the same time. One day remember only the best bits, the next the worst. Become convinced he's irreplaceable. Left undiagnosed, it causes immense frustration to onlookers and sufferage to the afflicted person. 

Last edited by ExBeard (October 21, 2020 12:00 pm)

October 24, 2020 2:03 am  #6

@Exbeard, that's generally what I've been going through for a long time. I've contemplated removing myself from all connections to friends and family for a good while. People do take it out on me when I speak up about it. No one recognizes this occurrence, yet we live saturated in a society in which I can't escape the bombardment of Pride ("love has actually won!") everywhere. I can't stand the cognitive dissonance that people don't realize how incorrect they are. It seems like no one tolerates acknowledgement, let alone agrees with, the abuse happening. At minimum, they might say I'm complaining. How is this status quo okay? Why don't people who experience this want society to know what happens? It seems absurd to be silent and let one's life get runover by everyone because they choose not to acknowledge the abuse and violence as much as the original person. Why would your therapist suggest not to tell anyone? That seems horrifying and compounding of all wrong to me. Can anyone be considered decent who refuses to acknowledge decades of huge psychological abuse (that continues with their help)?

I did alright for several years on my own. I was "whole" for several years. The infiltration of this issue the past few years so I can't escape it has made it nearly impossible to function in a society I view as cheering the abuser, and not having any care for abuse whatsoever. My "wholeness" and well-being have been eroded by both him and society for cheerfully ignoring the lifelong abuse and trauma caused a straight person. Why is this status quo considered okay, rather than trying to educate people on the abuse?

October 24, 2020 2:07 am  #7

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted in a profoundly sick society". This is how I view society's denial of it; much like psychology of climate change (which I've studied a good amount). I honestly feel like I'd prefer to distance myself from individuals and a society that support and abet the violence, and refuse to acknowledge a lifetime of abuse as if straight people/partners didn't exist. It seems crucial if society wants to view itself as moral and enlightened that it hold itself accountable to this dynamic of possible abuse and those who experiences it. Shouldn't one try to make one's peers and society aware? Shouldn't a therapist of all people help the individual and society become aware of this dynamic, not shut them down? That seems complementarily violent in itself....  

Last edited by clintonia (October 24, 2020 2:23 am)

Board footera