OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2020 10:58 pm  #31

Re: definition of success?

Oh, did anyone else get the SSN survey email? By that I’d guess someone is looking to make changes to this site. 

September 30, 2020 11:11 pm  #32

Last edited by Lynne (October 3, 2020 5:17 pm)

October 1, 2020 12:25 am  #33

Having MOM members is ok. However, I have a hunch the  ones posting in the Support and General Discussion boards are trolls out to wreck this site. I don’t see polite discussion from them. I see drama creating posts from “MOM” members meant to goad the regular posters into a fight. The trolls then blame us for harassment, being negative & overreacting. Sound familiar? G-a-s-l-i-g-h-t-i-n-g.

I started using Usenet (news servers) in the late 1980s. It was fun & split up into hundreds of different online bulletin boards discussing politics, programming, cooking, fashion.  It was fun until a disruptive poster would bully members. Some fought back (can’t get a date pimply kid? Stop taking it out on us.) The most successful tactic was to not respond.  Ignore them. Don’t feed the troll was the rallying cry.

I wonder if these trolls are bored teens or somebody’s disgruntled ex LGBT partner(s). I think it’s the latter because they are masters of manipulation. They are so good at it. How many of them wanted to stay in a MOM & were rebuffed by us?

Take the board back!  Ignore! I will.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

October 1, 2020 8:18 am  #34

I can't speak to any statistics on how many MOM's work out long term.  I have never done the research.  
MJ.  The software we have on Boardhost gives me limited ability to check the honesty of each account.  I can usually tell if it's a russian spammer account, but I have no way to know if the person signing up is who they say they are.  We are a public forum using anonymous usernames, so we always run the risk of having someone disingenuous in our midst.  If anyone has a specific concern about a user, please let Sam or me know and we will try to investigate.  

I hope nobody decides to leave this forum over this topic.  But if you do, that is your decision.  Please know that we are all extremely grateful for your participation and all the love and support you've offered to our forum.  Thank you!  I truly hope you will not leave!

Just one or two questions..   Do you honestly feel that 100% of straight spouses should divorce or leave their partners right now?  100%?  Are there no cases where a person might have a valid reason to stay and try to make it work?  What if there are situations in life that require them to stay for a certain time period?  Or should all people immediately leave?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 1, 2020 1:58 pm  #35

Phoenix, 

It makes me sad that some think no MOMs are worthwhile. I can imagine many of them may not be. I respect someones individual decision to stay or leave. I’ve never asked my husband to leave and he’s never wanted to leave. I truly believe our marriage is better than most straight marriages. We did very briefly (for a day or two) discuss divorce early on after his revelation. We were both a mess at that point. We are in a very good place and we are absolutely planning for a very long term future together. 

October 2, 2020 7:43 am  #36

Well I started this thread with saying I was sad to see the deterioration of support for the straight spouse - I think it has shown to be the case.  I actually see the straight women being marginalised and silenced here now.  I think it is sad for the straight men too but you know only so much one can do.

all the best everyone, Lily

October 2, 2020 9:33 am  #37

Lily, 

I don't understand why you say support is deteriorating aside from having some valuable people leaving. 
I also don't understand why think straight women are being marginalized and silenced?

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

October 2, 2020 7:04 pm  #38

Phoenix, my post isn't hard to understand - it's been coming for a while.  With hindsight, I think it was when the MOMs section was opened up that the line was breached.  Before that this was a place for straight spouses.  Where you could come and express how you're feeling and be met with nothing more than fellow feeling, and speaking personally I was grateful for the help in finding my feet, it was really hard for me to understand what 'in denial' even meant!

October 3, 2020 2:03 am  #39

for me there was no prior revelation, just my own sudden wondering if my partner was gay even though he said he wasn't, it got me searching google and this forum was the first place I found.  I was in so much shock I literally fell to the floor.  the new information changes your view of your past as well as the present it is overwhelming, yes traumatic.

slowly I have come to understand that there were people all around us - his family and friends, who knew he was gay and nobody ever said a word to me until now we are separated I have heard a fair bit.  The closet isn't about homophobia, it is about hiding the gay to attract a heterosexual partner.  

all goes to say the straight spouse needs a lot of support and is in a delicate state and we can help them in their quest to find real answers to their own questions.  There is such a thing as objective reality.  I think the MOMs section has been a bit of an over reach - done for the best of intentions but it's compromised the original site.  I do not feel comfortable enough on this site to respond to new posters any more - it would be an over reach for me.  Mainly I don't feel supported, tho I did in particular by your posts.  thank you.

wishing you and everyone all the best, Lily

ps, just wanted to add Daryl you are a trooper the way you are there with a common sense post over and again.  And there are still numbers of such good people here.

Last edited by lily (October 3, 2020 2:09 am)

October 3, 2020 9:16 am  #40

I haven't posted here for awhile because I am quite a ways beyond the disclosure that led me here and there are fresher, more relevant people posting now. Finding out that your partner has same sex attractions puts each of us on a path that will be affected by our ages, finances, support systems and religious beliefs, which may change as we go along.

I was in a MOM after I decided not to leave when my husband early in the marriage said that he was "bi" but would be faithful and wanted to remain married. At that time I thought that because now I knew what was troubling him we could make our marriage work. I was young and naive, not living near my parents and would have had no support from them had I wanted to leave.

After we had children they became his focus and had I left I knew that he would move in with his parents and would get custody because of the picture-perfect family that would present. My job paid much less and I had no support system. The children would have been happier there because he would be more of a bigger brother than a parent. I didn't think that would be good for the children.

I think there are times when a MOM can be healthy but it requires two people who love each other and uplift each other. There would need to be sharing on a daily basis and pleasure and fun together. That did not happen in ours. We put the children first but we were filling roles and there was no "us". Marriage should be measured in love, not years like an endurance contest.

What I see a valuable about this board is urging visitors to focus on themselves and make choices which support their mental health. What brought our 30+ year marriage to an end was when he fell in love with a man and wanted a divorce. I did not realize until it was over how diminished I had become during that time.  With love you grow. Without it you shut down.

There may be reasons to stay in a MOM, and I think my reasons were wise under the circumstances, but it needs to be a thought-out decision and not "s/he wants me to stay so I'll stay". What are the pluses and minuses and what circumstances would cause a re-evaluation? Are there actions that can be taken during the marriage to improve personal finances such as improving employment through training or education? Can I develop hobbies and friendships? 

I tend to not go to the MOM section because by the time I came here my marriage was ending. None of us has "THE ANSWER" but we should respectfully encourage questioning.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

Board footera