OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2020 5:19 pm  #1

Leaving me in the dust

Blissfully married for eleven years. Just a month before our 12th anniversary I found my husband posting personal ads soliciting sex with men and so began the rollercoaster of this last month.
At first he was just curious, then maybe bisexual. He hit me with lots of trickle truths, half-truths, outright lies, and gaslighting, and then finally came a tearful admission that he's gay and wants a divorce.
I can hardly catch my breath and wrap my head around any of this. I love him so much and probably always will, but I also want him to be happy and fulfilled so I can make peace with walking away. However, I know it's going to be a long painful process for me, forcing myself out of love, reconciling the past decade of memories, healing the wounds, and finding my way outside of this relationship.
Meanwhile, he's happily spending all of his free time searching for hook ups and relationships. I guess it just hurts that he can move on so quickly. I know our timelines will never jive, given that I was missing a major piece of the puzzle until recently, but it's hard not to feel tossed aside, disposable. Can he not even wait for me to leave our home before he starts his new life? The very last thing on my mind is sex and dating. I've read over and over that the GIDH will go through a period where they're I insatiable for sex, making up for what they missed out on in their youth, but even knowing that his behavior is typical doesn't help me feel any better. He swears he loves me, has always loved me, but I can't help but feel that it's all a lie, and I was just a prop.
Sorry for the rambling post. I'm struggling today, and felt the need to vent.

September 23, 2020 7:28 pm  #2

Re: Leaving me in the dust

Yes, he can wait, and he should, and you should ask him to.  If he can't wait, he should move out, and not subject you to that additional pain.  If he loves you as he says he does, then he can do this for you.  If he can't do this for you, then he's not showing love but selfishness, and you don't need to explain it away with the "gay adolescence" excuse.  He was married to you for eleven years and managed to contain himself.  He can contain himself for an additional few weeks or months until he has moved out.  It's the least--literally--that he can do.  If he wants to show by his actions he loves you, and not just say it to make himself feel better about deceiving you, he can wait or move out.  

The partnership to which you dedicated yourself is no more, despite your not having divorced, and despite his telling you he loves you. You may want him to be happy and fulfilled, but in the interest of his fulfillment you don't need to subject yourself to the pain that seeing him happily hook up causes you. 

September 23, 2020 9:15 pm  #3

Starved,

A sad welcome.

I remember it well..the physical and emotional rejection.  How could she just move on after all we've been through, all we built, the kids ..  But she did.

Its what I refer to as "the discard".

She, having started a complete affair, at some point stopped saying she loved me.   She did not need any emotional or physical interaction with me..only my money and time to watch the kids.  She had moved on. I was suddenly garbage to her (yes she said it). I would physically shake with the trauma from it.

It is a shock how quickly they can discard us..without remorse or empathy.
I found it more shocking then the gay.
It is a scary thing..a broken moral core I call it.  You or I could not discard and move on so quickly.

I think the question you need to ask, and i did, is not what he is saying but what he is doing. Thus the I love yous are meaningless.. the discard, the hurt..you can feel it in your bones.
You feel the contrast between what he says and what he is doing.  This is not what someone that loves us does.  This we know in our bones.

You are in shock..read the first aid thread..build your support system.
Know that his moving on so quickly is not a reflection of your worth or anything you did..we are worth more than these spouses can ever comphrehend.

Last edited by Rob (September 23, 2020 9:16 pm)

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

September 25, 2020 6:49 pm  #4

I'm about 4 months in....at first I was running on adrenaline - then felt like I was drowning.  Same here with the lies, denial, then when I present specific names, he will come clean (partially) a few days later when he's able to formulate his story.  I feel the past 8 years have been a lie.  I don't know what is truth.  I do feel he loves me - just in a different way.  I'm sorry for your pain.  Therapy has helped me, girlfriends initially, but not now = they don't get that it takes time to recover from this.  I do keep in touch w/GX, so that I can say and ask things - not that I'll get the truth, but I'm purging it out of my system.  Journaling has also helped, and meditation.  Remember to be easy on yourself - this is all new territory for you - he's been living this for a long time.  It's hard to do, but focus on YOU.  The smallest things have become comforting for me - a glass of wine and cheese at the end of a long day.  Special things to take of you and your soul.  Please reach out....it's a journey and takes time.  One step at a time......

September 27, 2020 10:34 am  #5

OutofHisCloset wrote:

Yes, he can wait, and he should, and you should ask him to.  If he can't wait, he should move out, and not subject you to that additional pain.  If he loves you as he says he does, then he can do this for you.  If he can't do this for you, then he's not showing love but selfishness, and you don't need to explain it away with the "gay adolescence" excuse.  He was married to you for eleven years and managed to contain himself.  He can contain himself for an additional few weeks or months until he has moved out.  It's the least--literally--that he can do.  If he wants to show by his actions he loves you, and not just say it to make himself feel better about deceiving you, he can wait or move out.  

The partnership to which you dedicated yourself is no more, despite your not having divorced, and despite his telling you he loves you. You may want him to be happy and fulfilled, but in the interest of his fulfillment you don't need to subject yourself to the pain that seeing him happily hook up causes you. 

I agree wholeheartedly. He can wait. 

Either way, he is the one who has broken your marriage and he should be the one to move out. I’ve told my husband (we’re trying to make it work) that if we do separate that I’m not going to be the one to just pick up and move with no notice. We live on a farm he inherited, and I told him I’d never take it from him, so if it happens, he’ll move & give me about a year to find a place to move (away from here), buy a house & take time to get my stuff packed & move. I’m ill & making me just get up & move right away isn’t fair to me after him cheating on me. So, if anyone should move out of your house, IMO, it should be him.....of course, I’m not you and it’s going to be up to the two of you.

I wish you the best. I know this is a very hard time & also SO confusing. I, too, have wanted to make my husband ‘happy’ in his bisexuality, short of an open marriage. (I told him he can leave if he wants to be with a man again. I won’t share him again.) But, you need to remember to take care of YOUR needs. We (especially women) straight spouses tend to want to ‘take care’ of our ‘special’ bi/gay/etc SO’s. I don’t know what it is that makes us want to make them happy before we make ourselves happy, but we do. So, take care of YOU!

((((((HUGS))))))))

September 28, 2020 3:38 pm  #6

I've gotten this question a lot lately. "Why are you moving when he's the one that blew up the marriage and asked for the divorce?"
In the long run, I don't need this big house (we don't have any children) and couldn't afford it on my own even if I wanted to stay. It just makes sense for me to move, even though it seems unfair to place that burden on me right now.
Part of me is starting to get excited about living alone, in a space of my own, with no one to answer to or worry about but myself. I've realized over the last few weeks that so much of my energy has been spent taking care of him, helping him, being his cheerleader and biggest fan when he's struggled. So much of my identity is wrapped up in this relationship, so I think it'll be good to create some physical and mental distance between us so I can begin to heal.
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses and well wishes. It's such a comfort to know I'm not alone and many other brave straight spouses have survived this nightmare.

September 28, 2020 11:01 pm  #7

I'm so sorry, Empathy.   I hope that you can find peace in a new environment.  

I can totally understand wanting to get out of the house.  If I didn't have kids, I would love to move out and am a bit envious that soon to be ex is getting to "escape."  As we are preparing to separate, I am noticing how little of me is left in this house and I wish I could go somewhere and just start from scratch. 

September 29, 2020 7:18 pm  #8

Moving out of the marital home was one of the best things I did in this process.  We had spent a lot of time, money and effort remodeling, and I did not want to be haunted by all of the things we had picked out together.  No thanks.

September 29, 2020 9:03 pm  #9

I also moved out, and am glad I did, because I was coming up on retirement and wanted to be able to easily relocate, although I do have to say that if you stay, you have a project to throw your efforts into, and there is satisfaction in scrubbing them out of your life and re-making the place for yourself.  I think whether you stay or go, it's whether you choose to do it and your attitude about it that matters most. 

October 5, 2020 5:32 pm  #10

Thanks for all the support guys. It really does help.
I moved out this weekend. It was scary, heartbreaking, surreal and exciting all at once, but so far I've enjoyed putting together my new space, decorating it just the way I like. My husband was always the louder voice in any decisions on décor. Perhaps that should've been a red flag.
The thing that stopped me dead in my tracks was a stupid notification on my phone that the doorbell rang back at our home. Stupid me made the mistake of looking and sure enough STBXH had a gentleman caller mere minutes after I left with my last load of boxes. UGH. I know I shouldn't care, but it cut deep, and reinforced all those feelings I was having of being disposable, insignificant etc.
I've deleted the damn app that's connected to the home security system and won't put myself through that torture again.

Board footera