OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2020 4:01 pm  #1

8 years 2 kids now what ?

First I want to say WOW it is amazing to know I am not alone in all this turmoil. I was surprised to see stories similar to mine in this club no one wants to belong to. Not sure if it helps or makes me sad... but at least someone might understand what a rollercoaster I am on.

Get a coffee or something stronger this is gonna take a while...

I married the girl of my dreams 8 years ago, initially the intimacy was amazing we could not let each other go we were both very religious and did not cross "the line" until we got married. In full openness neither of us are religious any more. She was the first woman I was ever intimate with and the only one. When we were married just a couple of months things dwindled and for the next few years she always had an excuse as to why intimacy was difficult. It was her weight / self image, it was the kids, it was moving and new job stress. And every time we think we figured it out it would last a week or 2 and be back to meh.

About 2 months ago she started saying she is having dreams of women and can't get it out of her head, she spoke to a councilor and came out as gay to me about a month ago. The intimacy stopped immediately and she started looking at apps and so on to find a girl. 

so TL;DR of the situation I am 40 married 8 years have 2 kids and now my wife came out as gay.

I had so many questions but it irritates her I think it is because it sows doubts. Things like you managed to be intimate for 8 years and now suddenly you can't BUT you want to stay together and have all the benefits you had as my wife and lover and soulmate but want to limit the relationship to a purely platonic / friendship / co-parenting one.

It made me feel cheap to say it and I go from I need to support this person I REALLY love in this difficult time to hang on why does she get to explore and look for intimacy but I am denied it and the happiness of being loved. I feel like I have gone bi-polar over night going from angry to sad to just down right depressed in hours.

My first priority is my kids, I do not want to let them grow up having to choose which parent to be with and who to go on holiday with etc. I want them to have a normal balanced live. My parents had many many foster kids and I wanted my kids to have it different and have opportunities. Now I do not know how I can do that... I am happy to make sacrifices for my kids but one side of a relationship cannot make it work.

Anyway if you made it this far thanks for reading  

September 21, 2020 5:06 pm  #2

Re: 8 years 2 kids now what ?

Dad1st,
I am so, so sorry you are going through this. 

I would like to comment on your sharing that your wife revealed her gay indications to you two months ago and is now looking at dating apps.  I think this is so inappropriate of anyone, regardless of their sexual preference.  If you are legally married to someone, you don't get to "date" other people.  Period.  It is disrespectful and hurtful to your spouse and yes, it is cheating, even if the other person knows about it.   

Regarding staying married in a platonic relationship, I guess I would say to each his own and maybe it works for some people but ...   In my opinion, you can't be happily married unless you have a loving sexual relationship.  That means different things to different people, but geez  - when you got married, did you want to have a lover or a roommate?  My spouse suggested a similar relationship when the s**t hit the fan and I said no way.  I'd rather be alone forever.  

I wish you all the best and I hope you are able to figure out what to do.

September 21, 2020 5:20 pm  #3

Hi Dad1st-  

I'm glad you found your way here.  Reading other stories of people who have learned that their spouses are homosexual has helped me immeasurably.  Particularly the men who find out their wives are lesbians.  It is not easy.  Nothing about it is easy.  The common refrains tend to be; the homosexual spouse likely knew before recent revelations that he/she was attracted to the same sex AND YET married the straight spouse anyway.  My guess is it is unlikely her homosexual orientation had never occurred to your wife before her recent dreams started.

In your case, it sounds as though you did not suffer through years of narcissistic abuse at the hands of your now-confirmed homosexual spouse.  Some of us were not that lucky.  However, her plan to stay financially and parentally intimate with you while also dating women does sound like a narcissistic plan going forward.  Still, it does sound like the relationship was not meeting your needs already, and that you had accepted it as the price of being in the relationship.  I know that I did the same thing for many many years.

You deserve a healthy marriage which recognizes your needs as well as those of your wife.  It is understandable that you wish to be supportive of her.  You are still married, and being supportive is a natural reaction to her needs.  However, be wary of any plan which does not also meet your needs.  It isn't fair to you.  

You deserve a whole relationship.  You deserve that.  

September 21, 2020 5:22 pm  #4

Thanks Leslie, thats how I feel also. I actually asked her if she thought it was ok to look for intimacy while we are married and she said no and got all emotional. I know she is hurting and I am torn between helping the person I love and helping myself cope.

Yeah I cannot get my head around a marriage where we are room mates. Room mates do not have the same privileges as partners. When I say it it sounds so hollow but that is how I feel, and I am not sure I can face an uncertain future and live together in an unloving (at least at that level) relationship.

I guess one wants to do it for the kids but they also deserve both parents happy not just one, and not parents who argue and are just making things work.

September 21, 2020 5:38 pm  #5

and I have to say wow right back at you - you really nailed it "I feel like I have gone bipolar overnight.."  that was very evocative of the strain we straight spouses come under trying to accommodate our gay spouse.

"I had so many questions but it irritates her.."  I could jump in and say what I think might be going on oh okay I will - my guess is that she is not interested in answering your questions so much as she is interested in getting you to do what she wants - or I could not say that and just suggest you take a small step back and observe her for a while, just like you are David Attenborough observing a new species, see what you see.

wishing you all the best, Lily.

Last edited by lily (September 21, 2020 5:43 pm)

September 21, 2020 5:41 pm  #6

Thanks Victo, 

Yeah I find it hard to believe there was no doubts. She mentioned she always had a thing for her friends etc but that she never entertained it as it was sin. As I mentioned we were very religious at a time.

Exactly I find it hard to understand where my priorities should lie help her be there for her for a time but then she has to also commit to making the marriage work. Sure I can support her exploring but its not right that she gets to have it on both sides, a supportive husband and exploring her new found orientation while I have to accept a broken relationship.

September 21, 2020 5:45 pm  #7

yes and there's also the bit where you are missing out on finding a woman who can love you back like you love her.

September 21, 2020 5:48 pm  #8

Thanks lily,

Haha I feel for my kids as I try my upmost to be the dad they deserve but at times I just can't not to mention how she is with the kids right now much shorter fuse than usual.

I think she wants so much to believe that this is it, she now knows what is wrong with her why she feels incomplete and can't be intimate. She has not even been with another woman yet but she is at a place where she is ok to move me aside and accept that she know knows and understands. She uses phrases like "for the first time ever I feel like the world makes sense" so she is scared to challenge this, any questions I bring up about our future the kids future etc makes her doubt and she is like a dog with a bone not wanting to let go.

I feel like I am grieving the loss of a friend, a relationship and a future and she does not seem to understand it and is thinking just of herself (from my perspective anyway)

September 21, 2020 5:53 pm  #9

lily wrote:

yes and there's also the bit where you are missing out on finding a woman who can love you back like you love her.

Frankly this scares me I am so ill equipped to handle this but I am sure eventually I can get my head around it.

September 21, 2020 5:53 pm  #10

oh I'm sorry - "for the first time ever I feel like the world makes sense" - she is already in love with a woman.  well she is isn't she - that is a classic expression of someone in love.

Board footera