OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2020 10:34 am  #1

Brand new and trying to figure things out...

I am brand new. Two weeks ago I confronted my husband of 22 years, only to learn that he had been sleeping with men for 15 years. He's also recently HIV+ and a heavy meth user for the last 5 years. (We haven't had sex in more than 8 years.) First I have to get him into a rehab (he's been clean, I think, for two weeks. I'm looking at places that have an LGBTQ support program. He says he doesn't know what he wants, and I feel completely adrift, but I can't imagine myself alone. He thought I would throw him out if and when I ever learned the truth, so I don't think he contemplated our staying together. We have some serious financial issues and home repairs to sort out after the drug problem, so there is maybe some time for us to figure it out. I'd like to have counseling. I don't think I could do an open marriage. Any feedback or support is appreciated.
Thanks.

September 7, 2020 12:24 pm  #2

Re: Brand new and trying to figure things out...

Hello HD Mom,

Welcome & sorry you are a member of a club no one wants to join. That is a lot to handle in one fell swoop.

I am not sure what feedback you’re looking for. I believe it is very difficult & painful to watch over your shoulder to sense if he’s using meth again. That drug is very difficult to stay away from. He is like a double-edged sword with HIV - he can give it to a male sex partner & pass it on through injecting meth while sharing needles. If you have joint assets, you could be forced to pay someone a large settlement if he gives a sex partner HIV.  You also have financial issues on top of everything else.

Staying together is what you want. If this was me, I would make plans to leave. The stress & lack of trust would wreak havoc with my health. I’d feel I had turned into a 24/7 security cam & not a cherished partner. I would fear he would be cooking batches of meth behind my back to make money. If he’s arrested, I believe you are considered an accomplice since you are cotenants or co-owners of your place.

I would consult a few meth addiction counselors just for you - not him - to be clear what’s possible with a meth addict. Also, I would consult a few family law attorneys to weigh your options for your future. You don’t have to file for divorce or make a legal move.

I would advise you to carefully think through your allegiance to your partner. It’s ok to throw a life jacket to a drowning person. However, they may turn around & throw you in the water & not care what happens if it will help them get their next fix.

Take care of yourself!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 7, 2020 12:31 pm  #3

I hear what you are saying. He's being treated for the HIV and nearly undetectable already, FWIW. Am consulting financial advisor and also will seek legal advice.

September 7, 2020 12:40 pm  #4

I didn’t realize undetectable HIV load meant the amount of the virus is so low it won’t be passed on to a sex partner. TBH, he can get exposed to it again through needle sharing or a partner who doesn’t know they have it. Sometimes, whatever can happen will happen.

Am sorry this partner has all these issues. Am happy you are taking the steps you mentioned. It will help you develop a prudent plan.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

September 7, 2020 3:25 pm  #5

Horsedogmom wrote:

.......... First I have to get him into a rehab (he's been clean, I think, for two weeks. I'm looking at places that have an LGBTQ support program. He says he doesn't know what he wants, and I feel completely adrift, but I can't imagine myself alone........

Why is it that you have to get him into a programme? Seems he's relying on you to take care of his problems. Even if you have to sit him down and talk to him about it...he's an adult, I'd be saying to him "this should come from you, this is your life, not mine"
And welcome to our Forum HDMom   

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

September 7, 2020 3:51 pm  #6

Yeah, he has to make the decision, but for the past two years he's been paralyzed with anxiety. He's unable to do the research himself unfortunately.

September 7, 2020 4:35 pm  #7

Horsedogmom wrote:

Yeah, he has to make the decision.....

No sex for 8 years....wow. I've not had sex with my partner for a year almost. It was a deliberate decision for my health, because I realised often the health of a partner is the last thing on a man's mind when sex is in the front of it. You have the added weight on your shoulders of him being a meth-user so you must feel burdened by his troubles.
 Do you have people...friends, family, counselors...to talk to?

KIA KAHA                       

September 7, 2020 6:29 pm  #8

Yes, I called a therapist our family had used previously as soon as I found out, and I've been meeting with her three times a week. I've also got a big family and friend network that I can talk to. It was certainly a double-triple whammy. I'm certainly still in shock over it.

September 7, 2020 9:30 pm  #9

Welcome horsedogmom. This is definitely not as easy road but you already show so much strength by getting your husband the help he needs right now. Finding someone for you to talk to will also be very helpful. Right now you probably feel some relief at knowing the truth but resentment is behind that relief. I hope that you’re husband can get clean, find some counseling and that you can find your feet as well. I am working to keep my marriage and it is work, for both of you. But there are some great people on the MOM board that can steer you in the right direction.

September 8, 2020 9:02 am  #10

Thanks. I feel like I'm pushing the resentment down for the moment and it will bowl me over once he leaves for rehab. I already feel some cracks in my composure. I can't decide if I'm just crazy to even want to try to make it work or not. Questions for therapists...

Board footera