OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2020 3:30 pm  #1

How can I change how I feel when marriage memories come up?

Ever since I found out about my husband cheating throughout our relationship, all  my good memories  are tainted. Such as , the other day he was cleaning out some things & he came across a photo from our honeymoon. Just like the wedding pictures, when I saw it, the first thing that popped into my head was “He was having sex with men during that same time, and it’s like a dagger goes right through my heart. The memory of the wedding or honeymoon has been replaced by that, and I want to find a way to heal this part of it because he cheated the whole time, so all my memories are like that, and it’s hard to move forward if that’s all I have 😕. 

So, if anyone has some ideas as to how I can change my way of thinking, please let me know. I’m open to suggestions 😁.

Thsnks

August 20, 2020 12:38 pm  #2

Re: How can I change how I feel when marriage memories come up?

I heard on a podcast today that 80% of a memory is false because it is not now and is tainted by emotions and feelings and imagery /dreams  etc, so in effect nothing of those memories are real , my advice is to to box it up as a part of your life that is gone with the addage " I did the best I could based on the information I had available to me at the time"
Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now , is good, maybe a bit hard to digest but worth a read

Last edited by Virion (August 20, 2020 12:39 pm)

August 20, 2020 1:58 pm  #3

Sounds like good advice since I can't change it anyway. My husband just wants me to 'change' the way I feel. I think about our wedding day and it just snaps in my head immediately ...."he was having sex with men at the same time!" and it just hurts so bad and makes me SO mad because I was so happy, and he "looked" happy, too. It tears me up inside to think that all that time I thought he was with "me", his wife........and, only me........and,it was beautiful. We were best friends, loved to do the same things, liked the same music, talked & laughed. But, I can NOT get it out of my head that at the same time he was slipping away and ..excuse my language, but this is what goes through my head:  all the while, he was sucking men's dicks and having them suck his. So, it's hard for me just to say "i did the best I could"...Sure, I did........ but, what good did it get me?  Sorry for the  negativity, but that is what this particular thread is all about. I can't seem to get past it, and I'm getting past a lot of other stuff.
thanks. I will keep it in mind, and look into the podcast.

Last edited by SusanneH (August 20, 2020 2:00 pm)

August 20, 2020 2:06 pm  #4

I agree our memories and reality is tainted..  and yet...    My GX was throwing out old pictures..like it didn't happen.like she was a God or Dr Who and had the power to rewrite the past.  But we have these kids thats proved it did happen. I was happy in the past even if she was false..i will not rewrite it.  I strive to remember the good times and not the last years in gay hell. 

It is certainly a crazy and sad when seeing pictures..my advice is dont look at them for now.  Know that you tried as hard as you could..we loved fiercely and loyally..and that is the difference between us and them.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

August 20, 2020 2:27 pm  #5

Susanne, I am so sorry. Have heard this technique in many places - get really angry for a set time per day (1 hour, for example) & keep busy with work & fun interests the remainder of the days. 

We didn’t have kids so I didn’t have to save mementos for them. This was discussed on the board before: I threw it all away in the trash. Wedding dress, all pictures, wedding ring. That helped me get over the memories. I only kept my religious wedding certificate. That meant a lot to me. I put a lot of effort into my marriage. I felt I had gained grace & wisdom from it on my end.

Rob, am sorry your GIDXW has done  these things. You don’t deserve it. I have to commend your strength dealing with TGT though. Am certain your kids appreciate dad very much!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 20, 2020 2:58 pm  #6

Rob, at least I didn't throw them out. I knew if I did, I couldn't get them back, so a fit of rage wouldn't help.
And, I haven't been looking at them when at all possible! He showed me that one last week after he cleaned out some stuff. He was actually trying to help. He was truly happy and had just had a therapy session which focused on the positive, so he was trying it on me .... unfortunately, it didn't work yet.

and, MJM017, I like that idea of a set time of day to get angry. It may help me to not just get 'set off' at the wrong time, like in the evenings when we're tired and arguments seem to start more often.

thanks again! I think time will help, just like everything, especially if we stay together, which, of course, still remains to be seen since it's still so early.....but, we're trying!

August 21, 2020 4:31 pm  #7

Hi Susanne,

there is no way to change what happened, it's there as it is. You look back with 'anger', for me the circumstances were different and so for me it's more like 'sadness'.
And maybe I feel anger this sadness had to be such part of my life, and you may also feel sadness over the anger that had to be the consequence of your experience, while it could have been so different.

Now, many years later looking back, this sense of sadness is still there when I think back about it, but it's from another perspective. I have changed through it all, became grateful for what it did to me. The hardship and the struggles...
well they are in the past, but... what I've learned and became is the present. Reality is in the now, and we can make choices about that.
I totally understand your feelings and your question. But as I try to give you some answer, I find it too complex to express, because it's actually connected with so much.

In some previous post I mentioned the book "The choice" written by Edith Eger. It's not about MOM's at all, but it's so worthwhile to read it! This book describes it more and better than I ever could in a post. 

“Time doesn't heal. It’s what you do with the time. Healing is possible when we choose to take responsibility, when we choose to take risks, and finally, when we choose to release the wound, to let go of the past or the grief.”

Last edited by Dutchman (August 21, 2020 4:33 pm)

August 21, 2020 4:53 pm  #8

Thanks, Dutchman. I'm learning that what I have to do is let go of the 'bad' things in the past and live in the present. It'll be easier when the present isn't so strained. I don't spend a lot of time in the past until we get into the arguments and they go on.....then, the past seems to always come up (by me, of course. He would LOVE for me to forget it!).
I do understand what you say about time not healing on it's own. Makes sense. Just heard it all my life, and have experienced it as well. I never thought that what I did with the time might have had something to do with it ;). Like getting over my first husband's death....... Well, even though I didn't intend to do it, I got remarried a little after a year from his death. I was so happy with all that was going on, that I wasn't mourning him as much as I would have been had my plans to not date worked out, and I would have been alone....SO, there's an example right there.
Also, anger & sadness....... they really do go hand in hand sometimes. We're living in a VERY small house.We moved in 10+ years ago out in the country, and it's 'temporary' until we build our house on the hill....well, it was supposed to be 1-2 years.... back to what I was saying..... In this small house, it's hard to get away to be sad/angry without being heard. I tend to get that way when I get in the shower in the evening. Unfortunately, he can hear me......So, I can't get away to cry on my own, and that's both the sadness and the anger. (sorry, I guess that was unnecessary).
I'll check into the book. I must have missed it when  you mentioned it before. I'm always looking for new material to read if it has something that will help.
thanks for your time and thoughts. I appreciate it as always.

August 21, 2020 5:58 pm  #9

Suzanne wrote:

I'll check into the book. I must have missed it when  you mentioned it before. I'm always looking for new material to read if it has something that will help.

I'm so very pleased you want to read it.
Edith Eger is an Auschwitz survivor. The experience obviously impacted her life profoundly (it's very intense to read that part of the book, but necessary to understand her story).
But the core the book is not about memoirs about the horrors of WWII, but how she overcame this trauma later in life. And with this she tells an incredibly inspiring story. 
To live our life, we must continue to make choices, and not allow ourselves to be imprisoned by our past (or feelings... or sexual orientation... or cultural opinion... or...)

So much what Edith Eger describes was also at the base of finding our way through the difficulties of our MOM, and how we learned to deal with life. No doubt you (and John) will value reading this book!

August 22, 2020 11:04 am  #10

Dutchman wrote:

Edith Eger is an Auschwitz survivor. The experience obviously impacted her life profoundly (it's very intense to read that part of the book, but necessary to understand her story).
But the core the book is not about memoirs about the horrors of WWII, but how she overcame this trauma later in life. And with this she tells an incredibly inspiring story. 
To live our life, we must continue to make choices, and not allow ourselves to be imprisoned by our past (or feelings... or sexual orientation... or cultural opinion... or...)

So much what Edith Eger describes was also at the base of finding our way through the difficulties of our MOM, and how we learned to deal with life. No doubt you (and John) will value reading this book!

Sounds even more interesting. My father's family had to flee Germany when he was 6 because his mother was Jewish. The Germans even came into their house looking for her once (thank goodness didn't find her!), so this is really close to my heart. They did have it better than so many people. They were able to escape to Sweden & six years later to the US. Both his parents were professors, and so they had professions they could use all over.
I'll order it as soon as I finish!
Update: ordered 😁
thanks again!

Last edited by SusanneH (August 22, 2020 11:11 am)

Board footera