OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2020 8:23 pm  #11

Re: Covid19/Coronavirus...how is everyone's situation?

I am in the United States and there is nothing united about us when it comes to Covid-19. It is all about self-interest and the health and lives of others are disregarded. "Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise."

I cannot believe that we have been reduced to this.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

August 13, 2020 8:31 pm  #12

Ellexoh_nz wrote:

that must have been so sad, to lose somebody able to see & understand what you were going through.....and give you the advice you needed. Did he catch the virus?
As for the virus...I think the wait will be longer than we're hoping

Elle

Thanks, Elle. There was no cause of death given. He was saying funeral mass for another priest the day before. That evening, he told the other priests in the rectory he was feeling tired. He didn’t get up the next day. He died early in the morning.

I hope your daughter is able to hold her wedding in September.  NZ can get its act together unlike the US.

Stay well!

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 13, 2020 9:17 pm  #13

Leslie77 wrote:

I'm on the East Coast.  I moved to another state just before the virus hit.  It's hard to get resettled and I have met no one except a couple of neighbors.  Still, it's okay.  Our area was not hard-hit like some other parts of the state, and everyone wears masks in public.  There are some positives.  Not much traffic when I have to drive back to my former state for business reasons.  And I have been able to keep up with several groups I'm involved with via Zoom.  That probably would not have happened were it not for the corona virus.  Still, I am praying for a vaccine and an end to this awfulness.  

Leslie....you're lucky no restrictions have to put in place on your movements. Sounds like the area you moved to 
realise the only way to get through this is playing by the rules. Well....not playing but y'know....lol

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 13, 2020 9:20 pm  #14

Abby wrote:

I am in the United States and there is nothing united about us when it comes to Covid-19. It is all about self-interest and the health and lives of others are disregarded. "Where ignorance is bliss, tis folly to be wise."
I cannot believe that we have been reduced to this. 

Abby.....Emailing a friend in the US...I said we watch the US with horror and disbelief..!@#$%

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 15, 2020 8:31 pm  #15

For those that are struggling psychologically (also relevant to some of us in the post-disclosure stage of a Straight Spouse journey) ..... https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-ivory-tower/202008/5-ways-cope-suicidal-thoughts-during-the-pandemic

“The future is unwritten.”
― Joe Strummer

August 16, 2020 12:24 pm  #16

I haven’t gone anywhere since March 7th due to COVID. I have a compromised immune system due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & fibromyalgia, am pre-diabetic  and have COPD. So, if I were to contract it, I probably wouldn’t make it. 
Anyway, in the US, they had the county mostly in lockdown; businesses closed, everyone at home; everyone wore a mask when they went out, etc. They said the steps they were going to take were to open the country in three phases. HERE’S THE KICKER: for each phase, the new cases had to have had a steady decline for 14 days. IT NEVER HAPPENED. They reopened it anyway and people seemed to act as if it were all over: large crowds close together with no masks (that was the most egregious thing), including full beaches, concerts, protests (I realize they had to do this, but could have done it safely), and more of the same. Well, as you’d imagine, the new cases spiked to unbelievable numbers and so did the deaths. And, what did they do? They moved on to phase two, and opened up more things, allowing people to gather inside restaurants, bars, etc at 59%, up from 25%......and, so on to phase three, even though the cases were skyrocketing.
So, back to closing bars, BUT they want our children to GO to school in person! They have the option of online, but the government is pushing toward in school. So far, the largest school in the nation (I think that part is right ) started back and some children tested positive fairly soon after. Noe, they had to close the school for now and go back to online. 
Here in Texas, the cases were steadily rising to record highs until about a week or so ago, and it seems we may be on our way down? 
In our area, we ARE going down 😁. I’ve been keeping track of daily new cases in our county since June 10th, when there were 19 new cases. It got so bad after they reopened everything, June 17th, we had 145 New cases!! Recently, it’s trending from as low as 10 (yea!) , with 40 (& that was much higher than most) being the highest in TWO WEEKS 😄. 
So, I’ve actually gotten the courage to make one of my Dr appointments. I’ve had to cancel all of them & am so far behind that my drivers license expired in May & I can’t get a new one until I get new corrective lenses, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Frankly, I’m still not too sure about getting out there. Haven’t even been to church. On my way to watch online again. 
I miss my family 😕. At least we’re all well. We’ve all taken this seriously. Everyone else goes out, but they always wear a mask & gloves when needed, and use disinfectant spray frequently & keep social distancing ....doing our best.
Hope y’all are making it all right.
Take care of yourselves. 
(((((HUGS))))))

August 16, 2020 12:36 pm  #17

Susanne,
 Don't forget to check the rate of testing/number of overall tests.  Apparently in some parts of the country the numbers are going down but that's more a factor of fewer tests being administered.
https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-08-14/nationwide-coronavirus-cases-are-down-but-so-is-testing

August 16, 2020 1:47 pm  #18

OOHC, I read that in the newspaper, too. Susanne, definitely best to stay in place & stay safe. In my area, they bowed to federal political pressure to open restaurants for outdoor seating. I suspect some bars are open too.. That’s been a source of unnecessary outbreaks.

What’s scared me is 3 relatives having to be in the hospital for necessary surgery/treatment  (non-COVID) late July/early  August. They passed away within days of one another.One was in her late 90s - no surprise. The others were given a clean bill of health. These two had autopsies but no news to us of results.

I am bored to tears staying here by myself in my home. My GIDXH isolated me during the marriage.

Am thinking good thoughts that we get a vaccine/cure. Am also thinking good thoughts for all that we weather the storm & after effects TGT causes.  Best!

Edited - was not in a good mood when I wrote earlier. Removed the negative portion.

Last edited by MJM017 (August 16, 2020 10:05 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

August 16, 2020 4:58 pm  #19

SusanneH wrote:

I haven’t gone anywhere since March 7th due to COVID. I have a compromised immune system due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & fibromyalgia, am pre-diabetic  and have COPD. So, if I were to contract it, I probably wouldn’t make it. ...................(((((HUGS))))))

A virtual home detention since March. Omg Susanne ((((((hugs to you))))))

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

August 17, 2020 4:31 pm  #20

Thanks

Board footera