OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2020 12:06 pm  #1

When to Let Go?

I know this is going to be long, and I apologize in advance.  I've been reading this forum on and off since March, and I finally feel comfortable sharing.  

My husband of 14+ years came out to me in March.  I never saw it coming.  He has only come out to one family member so far, his twin, who never suspected growing up and was also was taken aback.  I don't feel like such a complete fool for not seeing it.  

He started by saying he didn't think he was living the life he was supposed to be living.  I think I just sat there stunned and sick to my stomach.  Basically, because he grew up in a conservative Christian household, you weren't allowed to talk about those feelings, much less have them yourself, so he learned to suppress them.  He was attracted to men, and he couldn't be 100% committed to me without exploring that side of himself.  All I remember doing is falling back under the covers and sobbing.

I'm sure you all know the feelings that came with it.  The hurt, anger, betrayal.  I felt like the last 15 years of my life were a lie. Who had I been in love with? Who was this man in front of me?  My husband was gone.  My marriage was gone.  My future was gone.  How am I supposed to raise four kids by myself?  COVID was just shutting everything down, and I was trapped in this house, 900+ miles from family and friends. I felt so alone. 

As traumatic as that was - I sometimes feel like the last three months have been more traumatic.  It's been a roller coaster of emotions, he's struggled with his identity, he's wavered on divorce vs. staying married.  I've uncovered lies and half truths, found out about an almost-physical affair with a woman, and his emotional entanglement with a man.  I could write an entire book on everything that's happened.  

I'm just trying to figure out what is real in my life and what isn't.  I don't know what to believe anymore, because everything contradicts the last thing he says.  I don't know if he's lying to me, if he's lying to himself, or if he's confused, or if it's a combination of all of it.  

I feel like my "imperfectly perfect" marriage was a sham.  Was he using me to hide being gay?  He says no, that he really was attracted to me, he did fall in love with me, he enjoyed being intimate with me, he loves the life we built, that it was all real for him...but basically, there is a void I can't fill.  At other times, he says "I didn't have a choice." (i.e. he could never come out to his religious family) which makes me wonder if he was just relieved he was attracted to a woman, because then he could be straight??  He says he's loved our marriage and the life we've built together...but then other times he picks it apart, like he's trying to justify leaving.  He's a problem solver, and he tends to look for the quickest/easiest solution...I think sometimes he views divorce as easier than trying to repair what he's now done to the marriage.

I just feel like I can't see straight, I can't breathe.  I am barely holding my head above water. 

Even though he's struggled with identifying as bisexual or gay, he is now calling himself a gay man and leaning towards divorce.  He won't say it, but he implies it, talks about it as if it's inevitable, and even started the paperwork.  Not the process itself--but he brought the paperwork home, saying he wanted to do it without lawyers, be amicable. When started filling them out, I thought I would vomit.  He did go vomit.  He said his chest pain/anxiety went away after he first came out, but it came back about a week after he brought the papers home. 

I know he's struggling with all of this.  I know he's confused and hurting.  I hate that for him.  There was a time in the middle of all this, when he identified as bisexual, that he exuded happiness and joy, the tension was less, and I felt like we had breathing room. Then he changed course, and at the same time, he began to look unhappy and miserable.  I love him, and I hate to see him struggling.  I told him I wouldn't hate him for being gay, but I do hate that he is the one hurting me, when he was the one person I trusted most in the world to keep me safe.  

I'm just so tired.  

At what point did you or your LGBTQ spouse just call it quits?  I have honored my marriage vows, and I'm destroyed that he hasn't and that he struggles with the idea of trying.  I struggle to reconcile what I'd wanted out of life and our marriage with just wanting this nightmare to be over, even if it means divorce.  

I can see why, statistically, these marriages don't work once the spouse comes out.  It is emotionally exhausting, if nothing else.  It's only been three months.  I don't know how people do it for years.  I know there has to be a light at the end of this tunnel, though.  

Last edited by ThisTooShallPass (July 6, 2020 12:09 pm)

July 6, 2020 1:36 pm  #2

Re: When to Let Go?

I'm so sorry, ThisToo. Reading your post, I can feel the pain resonating in your words.

I'm going to try and be brief here. Sometimes the best way to see things is to examine the pieces instead of the whole. Especially when the whole seems overwhelming.

" He was attracted to men, and he couldn't be 100% committed to me without exploring that side of himself.  All I remember doing is falling back under the covers and sobbing"

This board hears this a lot. Every time I see it I reflect on one thing - I can be attracted to someone that isn't him as well. Does this mean I need to explore that attraction or not feel complete? Men are unique. Taken as individuals, they aren't the same. They don't talk the same, have the same personalities, have sex the same. Would this be a legitimate statement to make in supporting you telling him why you need to "explore" the side of yourself that is attracted to a man that's not him?

"I've uncovered lies and half truths, found out about an almost-physical affair with a woman, and his emotional entanglement with a man."

There's no reason for lies - except to manipulate the situation and you. Lying is stealing. Stealing your autonomy. Stealing your choice. Stealing your reality. What greater fraud is there than stealing years of someone's life? Years they will never recover.

he says "I didn't have a choice."

The statement "I had to lie" is never true. There are other choices which were evaluated but found too costly. That is the truth of "I had to lie".

"he brought the paperwork home, saying he wanted to do it without lawyers, be amicable."

Please, don't do this. Protect yourself with an attorney. He has already demonstrated to you that he feels justified in lying. He feels justified in going outside the marriage. He feels entitled to fulfill his wants at your expense. Protect yourself (and any children you might have) with an attorney.

"At what point did you or your LGBTQ spouse just call it quits?"

As soon as I could see that he had robbed me of my autonomy via his selfishness and entitlement. I'm given X amount of years on this planet, and he has no right to unilaterally lay waste to those years in any way he sees fit in order to satisfy himself.

Yes, this is all very exhausting. It's going to continue to be. Look after yourself as best you can. Make sure you eat, sleep, and do what you need to do for you. I would encourage you to stop trying to identify with his "struggling with all of this. I know he's confused and hurting." When you focus on him, you fall to the wayside, and he sounds like he's focusing on himself enough for the both of you.

Take care of you, ThisToo. Be kind to yourself.

July 6, 2020 2:07 pm  #3

ThisTooShallPass wrote:

.........I know he's struggling with all of this.  I know he's confused and hurting.  I hate that for him...................  

TTSP (an abbreviation of your name ) ....welcome to our Forum. My heart ached reading your words, and that you feel more of a responsibility to be emotional/worried for the man who's kept his true identity from you, when you are just as, if not more...important in all of this
I hate what this has done to you

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 6, 2020 5:43 pm  #4

ThisTooShallPass wrote:

... which makes me wonder if he was just relieved he was attracted to a woman, because then he could be straight??   

Yes, I think that's how it was for my ex.  

I ended up concluding that the confusion I was in was not due to his confusion, it was deliberately created by him.  

you know how when you take a knock you might not even see much at first, maybe a red mark but two three days later you can see the bruise.  That's sort of where you are now - 3 months is just enough time to see the bruise as well as feel it.  So you can recognise, from here it is a process of recovery, it will take some time but you will feel better again.

Just take the step you can see to take in front of you, whatever it is, (my first step was to take an afternoon nap!) that's all you need to do, one step at a time, look after yourself first and your children will get the best protection.  

wishing you all the best, Lily

July 7, 2020 6:41 am  #5

So sad to hear of your situation.  As I've seen posted on this forum - "Welcome to the club no one wants to be a member of".  

It takes two people to row the boat of marriage, and it appears your husband has already thrown in the towel.  Even if he says he wants to make it work, do you think that is possible for you?  

Speaking from experience, it is difficult, or maybe even impossible, to put the genie back in the bottle once it's out. 

One of the things that helped me get through the implosion of my marriage was keeping a journal.  It was used strictly to address to myself my fears and feelings.  It was comforting when I was still in my closet, not sharing with anyone at all, and beneficial later when my STBX husband contradicted the history of what happened.  I was able to say, "Yes, that really did occur because I wrote it down when it happened."  

To answer your question - at what point did you or your LGBTQ spouse decide to call it quits?  I had two years of discovery, denial and entanglements.  Then I told him it was over and I wanted a divorce.  He initially agreed and then quickly expressed remorse and regret and said he wanted to make our marriage work but (a) I didn't believe him and (b) it was too late for me.  We physically separated two months later and our divorce hearing is pending.  We had been married for ten years.  I was happy and I thought he was too.  It was all a facade.  

I wish you all the best and I think you know in your heart you are going to get there - after all you did choose the name "This Too Will Pass".  

July 7, 2020 7:06 am  #6

My admittedly cynical theory is that when a spouse comes out, wants out of the marriage and then backs off it's because s/he has figured out the cost. For her a subsidized lifestyle perhaps. For him having to pay a settlement and alimony and child support. If s/he has consulted an attorney then certainly any actions going forward are going to be based on knowledge of realities.

That's why it is vital to know your rights and have the ability to make decisions which protect yourself. Four children are expensive and he can't wiggle out of that financial responsibility. Know your family finances and don't get sucked into the whirlpool of his life. He hasn't just thrown in the towel: he's thrown away the oar.

Try Gardening. It'll keep you grounded.

July 7, 2020 3:57 pm  #7

Thank you for your replies.  

It's strange, because when I read some of the stories on this board, I am horrified, and saddened by what so many straight spouses have gone through.  I feel like my experience pales in comparison.  I didn't experience the loneliness; the gut feeling that something was wrong; the husband who flinched at my touch or refused to hold me; we didn't have a sexless or overtly dysfunctional sex life; he wasn't cold, uncaring, angry or full of emotional outbursts.  None of that.  I didn't see my marriage deteriorating or feel unloved.  If it wasn't for his actual confession of same-sex attraction and wanting to explore it, nothing in my marriage would have suggested I consider divorce.

I know that's why I'm struggling so much to accept this.  It wasn't like I felt something was wrong in our marriage or suspected he was gay. It wasn't an "Ohh thank goodness, it all makes sense now" moment for me. It took me by surprise, and I'm still reeling from that I guess.  

Thank you for the reminder to take care of myself.  I am trying.  I've started therapy (tele-therapy, considering current situation, but better than nothing), and I have confided in one sister.  I have been journaling.  I have been going over my credit, looking at the finances, updating my resume...whatever I can to get myself in a position of caring for myself and the kids.  

For those that have brought up the kids.  I worry how they will take this, and I worry about the loneliness of being a single parent.  I do not worry about him shirking on his financial responsibility to them.  If nothing else, the one thing I know is that he loves them and will do right by them.

July 8, 2020 6:31 am  #8

I'm so, so sorry for what you're being put through.  It's especially cruel during a pandemic.

Lily used an excellent analogy -- it's like a bruise that takes a little time to make itself visible.  Please don't let yourself be talked into  a DIY divorce, though.  This is not a time when you're able to dispassionately view and evaluate your best course of action.  Typically, that option might be appropriate for very young couples with no children, but with children involved there are a lot of legal issues you might not be aware of.  

July 9, 2020 3:24 pm  #9

ThisTooShallPass wrote:

Thank you for your replies.  

It's strange, because when I read some of the stories on this board, I am horrified, and saddened by what so many straight spouses have gone through.  I feel like my experience pales in comparison.  I didn't experience the loneliness; the gut feeling that something was wrong; the husband who flinched at my touch or refused to hold me; we didn't have a sexless or overtly dysfunctional sex life; he wasn't cold, uncaring, angry or full of emotional outbursts.  None of that.  I didn't see my marriage deteriorating or feel unloved.  If it wasn't for his actual confession of same-sex attraction and wanting to explore it, nothing in my marriage would have suggested I consider divorce.

In the ways you just listed above, you actually will have a harder time.  Some people endure more painful actions from their spouse, which are harder to live through in advance.  But they are much quicker to let go because they see the bad sides of that spouse.  Those who are completely surprised and don't feel mistreated have a much harder time letting go and losing that feeling of love and commitment.  I feel bad for you in that regard. 

I was still fully in love with my spouse when she disclosed.  Though I see ALL of the signs now, I didn't at the time due to my own flaws and "sticking my head in the sand".  So I tried to win her back and was still in love even after she filed for divorce.  Now I thank God she did take action to separate because I would probably have stayed in a miserable marriage and been treated awful for years. 

We all have to process and take steps at our own pace. 

My advice for you is to understand that you get to make a decision as well.  It's not just his choice.  I just want you to feel empowered.  

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 10, 2020 10:31 am  #10

walkbymyself--and others--I made it clear to him, I am not doing a DIY divorce.  I told him I will try for amicable, and I want to keep it out of court too, but like you said, there's a lot to consider with kids, and I plan to move out of state with them, we own our marriage home in another state...I want it all done correctly.  

Phoenix, thank you for your insight.   I know in my head that you're right, and I've been sitting in denial.  He wouldn't have "voluntarily" disclosed, if he didn't want it.  The above analogy about the bruise is good.  I actually told my sister this week, it's like I'm finally starting to come out of the fog, but the fog is still there behind me, and I'm only just starting to see what's back there.  

You said you were sticking your head in the sand, and I think that's what I did.  I think I made excuses or justified each little thing in our marriage, because on their own each of those things really was something any marriage could face, so I figured we'd "get through it" eventually.  I just never realized (or refused to acknowledge?) there were too many little things that added up to the marriage being off these last few years.  

I think now I've reached the point where it's not about being "in love" and "losing" him, because he's made it really hard these last few months to love him.  I think it's more about losing my identity and the security I've always had.  We married young, and I've never been on my own.  I'm scared of being a single mother.  I'm scared of what this is going to do to my kids.  I'm scared of the stigma of being the ex-wife of a gay man.  I'm scared of being seen as a failure.  I want all this over as fast as possible, but I am so scared to start over.  

Board footera