OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2020 6:21 pm  #31

Re: I am a straightspouse...this is MY Forum

"OOHC" wrote:

I personally cannot conceive of any marriage between two partners who are not of the same sexuality being anything but a fundamentally unsatisfying and deeply unsatisfactory accommodation.  Subjecting myself to having sex with someone who finds my sexed body distasteful at best and repulsive at worst does not appeal to me in the least, nor goes requiring my spouse to subject him/herself to it.  You clearly are willing to make the accommodation, as well as to subject yourself to and require of your wife the sexual obligation. 

I don't know if you actually realize how degrading you express yourself towards me and my wife. And I certainly don't understand where you think you get your authority from to judge us the way you do. But like I responded to you before, maybe you don't read or understand my writings very well.

I acknowledge your hurt and what happened in your life, and understand the cynicism and rejection that followed. And maybe... if I were in your shoes, I would feel the same. And it's terrible reading about some of the stories here and the damage done to people. Please don't forget I was very near that same cliff. I remember very well what I felt at the time. For me it's like coming to the edge of the abyss, but life took a turn before falling over. 

What I and my wife describe aren't about some cheap and simple Hollywood scripts. It's about our very real life we've gone through. Including the troubles and deceptions. And yeah, the sex was far from ideal at the time, you're so right. Thanks for pointing that out, lest someone would have missed that part. I don't recall I've claimed or stated something different however.

But much more important: you seem to miss out completely our deeper motivation in it all, why we did what we did.

July 5, 2020 7:15 pm  #32

Dutchman, 
You mis-read my last post, which was not about your own personal relationship at all, but about the rationale behind the MOM section of the Forum, and now you have taken what I said about such relationships in general in the same vein.  Look at it: what I said was that I personally could not imagine "any marriage" between two people being satisfying, and I could not imagine subjecting myself to the requirements.  I am as entitled to my own opinion about MOMs in general, and to state it, as you are to make an accommodation that has worked for you. 
  I'm not going to engage you further.   

July 5, 2020 10:16 pm  #33

Whirligig wrote:

........Most of us don't post in the MOM board out of respect for how it was set-up .......

I was disappointed that the MOM board was set out and titled the way it was but after asking for it...knowing there were members who disagreed with it....I didn't feel I should rock any more boats and tip any more people into the water. It was, it seemed to me, compared to and modelled on the Yahoo groups...
 This is not how I envisaged it and I'm so sorry for initiating it. I wanted a space for decision-making for  STRAIGHTSPOUSES still stuck in their r'ship, who found themselves in a straightspouse quandary and needing to talk with OTHER STRAIGHTSPOUSES. Not one that had any LGBTQ influence. Once again I apologise

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 6, 2020 11:05 am  #34

Daryl wrote:

"The Straight Spouse Network (SSN) is an international organization that provides personal, confidential support and information to heterosexual spouses/partners, current or former, of gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender mates and mixed-orientation or transgender/non-transgender couples for constructively resolving coming-out problems. "

The focus is on helping the heterosexual partner and I think this forum should firmly follow that statement. The non-hetero half of our relationships already have support options, if they are even interested in the question. This board doesn't need to cater to their journey.

This. ^

I don't actually post much on this board anymore since the MOM section was added. Too much conflict of interest for me.

July 7, 2020 7:59 am  #35

When I first discovered my husband's secret, I couldn't have imagined divorcing him, and I did read and post in the MOM section.  A few things happened along the way -- I realized I'd only discovered the tip of the iceberg, and it all started to sink in.

I don't post in that section because I'm not in a position to offer support.  But, I think it's valuable for others.

I will point this much out: there are many people who stay in a MOM because that's their only viable option.  For example, a wife who depends on her husband's employer-based insurance, is diagnosed with cervical cancer.  It's true that she's going to stay in a MOM, but it's pretty clear this is not anybody's description of a "successful marriage".  There are people struggling to recover from bankruptcy.  We've had people post here who are immigrants, have limited English skills, and their status depends on remaining in the MOM.  Their reasons for staying in the marriage are nuanced and complex, and of course all of us appreciate the pain divorce can unleash.  

If I'd been bombarded with doomsday scenarios in my early days, it wouldn't have worked on me -- I would have left.  So having the MOM forum available was a way to me to get my bearings a little bit, and it made it easier for me to view my own situation more objectively.  

July 7, 2020 9:50 am  #36

You make an excellent point.  And I do make a distinction between those who stay for reasons like illness or insurance or lack of funds or immigration status--all barriers that the person facing them needs to work on overcoming, if possible and in time--and those who stay voluntarily.  It's the latter arrangements I have difficulty believing could be fully satisfying.  Others can have their own opinions and make their own arrangements.

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 7, 2020 9:53 am)

July 8, 2020 4:53 am  #37

I agree -- I am very skeptical that these marriages can ever be truly fulfilling; most of the time they're viewed as the least bad option.  I know some forum participants don't want to hear "the negativity" as they often put it, but if you gave me a polygraph and asked my true opinion, I'd have to say that a marriage that was a result of fraud, and that is being endured because the alternative seems worse ... is not going to work out in the long run.  

July 9, 2020 2:47 pm  #38

This is quite a discussion.  I appreciate the comments and opinions from everyone who has shared. 

We are a support group.  We support the following

• Current and former straight spouses and partners of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
  • Post disclosure couples
  • Our families and friends

What really needs to be understood is that not everyone has the same support needs.   Most of us need help with a separation, but some simply want to come to grips with the new dynamic and they don't (at this time) want to separate or divorce.  We created the MOM section for the latter group.  If they came here looking for ideas and practices to help them remain married then we wanted to create a constructive and positive place to help them find the support they are looking for.  

If having one lesbian woman in a dedicated thread give perspective and advice that is helpful and supportive then I think that furthers our goal of offering support.  We did the same with a gay man in a dedicated thread where he helped others understand the actions their own spouses took and why they may have done so. 

Because there are so many different types of support needs we cannot possibly maintain a uniform message in all areas.  One message doesn't apply to all.  We will always try to offer support and do our best to support different types of needs. 

I do agree that the presence of a LGBTQ person on this forum can be triggering, so I will continue the precedent that we have a single thread for that person to be active.  This way if a person doesn't want to have that interaction they can simply avoid that thread. 

Thank you all!

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 9, 2020 2:49 pm  #39

BTW.. my apologies to all for my limited access.  My new job doesn't give me the free-time to be as active on the forum as I was before.  Also, I just got married last month and we've been incredibly busy trying to prepare one home for more people and prepare the other home for sale.  Covid has also caused some changes in life..   I hope to be more active in the future. 

-Formerly "Lostdad" - I now embrace the username "phoenix" because my former life ended in flames, but my new life will be spectacular. 

July 9, 2020 3:19 pm  #40

Congrats on getting married. I hope it gives others hope that life can be better after TGT.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

Board footera