OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2020 2:36 pm  #1

I am a straightspouse...this is MY Forum

Early on in my joining SSN I asked whether any members show/had shown their partners, husbands, wives the Forum and was immediately accused of 'bringing' my own partner in (I hadn't, it was simply a question)

Then I learned of Sean's presence here. A presence welcomed, accepted, the members okay with a non-straightspouse being here as long as he was telling you what you wanted to hear. And that's fine. I didn't agree with it but nobody asked it I thought it was okay and there were many here appreciative of the advice of a gay man.

We had another partner of a straightsouse who joined I'm sure to do penance and face the Forum to tell his story, but he got shut down pretty fast. 

Now we have a straightspouse on the MOM board asking everybody is it okay his lesbian wife can speak. I said I was against this. We're not called the Straightspouse Forum for nothing. Yes, I was the instigator of the MOM board, but I'm a straightspouse trying to untangle something that seems to want to never be UNtangled....*I* wanted to be the one to do it, without a non-straightspouse telling me how great their life was. 
Now, for the lack of the words Straighspouses only who remain Committed...we have non-straights wanting to have their say, which some of you seem to think is okay....even though they have their own websites for couples (which I couldn't get into because there's just one of me apparently) 

I did not want to invade anybody's thread. I wanted to just say this should always be what it started out to be...
....a Forum for Straightspouses 

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 1, 2020 3:18 pm  #2

Re: I am a straightspouse...this is MY Forum

I am in 100% agreement that this forum should be for straight spouses, and that goes for the MOM thread you instigated as well.  Sean's thread was already long when I joined in August 2016.  The other person who came on was a transitioning transwoman who came here seeking help convincing the wife it would be ok.  

July 1, 2020 4:56 pm  #3

A non-straight spouse posting on any of these boards, to me, rings of the rationalization of "Well, let me tell you MY side of the story."

My STBXH had every opportunity, and moral obligation, to tell me HIS side of the story before we got married 10 years ago.  He didn't.  

He took from me my dignity, self-esteem, ability to trust others, sexual desire, and stole over a decade of my life.  Worst of all, he exerted his "right" to be feminine, which in my opinion was mine and mine alone especially in what I expected to be a heterosexual relationship. 

July 1, 2020 6:08 pm  #4

deleted (I misperceived a post)

Last edited by OutofHisCloset (July 1, 2020 6:09 pm)

July 2, 2020 12:26 pm  #5

I understand how you feel. More people approved of the wife coming here and answering our questions for her than disapproved. I personally have gotten a lot out of her posts.
I know this is for straight spouses, but if the majority agrees that one person can post certain things, than I think it should be all right, as long as it doesn't become something where they just post anything anywhere.

July 2, 2020 1:42 pm  #6

SusanneH, 
 I believe Phoenix made a ruling that Sean could post only in his thread, to contain his remarks and not trigger others who were not ready or willing to have a gay man posting.  
 Perhaps that what might be done again, and have the thread stay in the "committed to the MOM" section.  

July 2, 2020 2:33 pm  #7

I think it's the only appropriate way to do it and even then I feel a little ambivalent. I found Sean self-important and a little patronizing but my objection was that by giving him a platform, his wife, the straight spouse had was robbed of possible support had she wanted or needed it. How safe would anyone feel to express their pain when the person who caused it was right there doling out advice? Dutchman and his wife are different obviously because they are happy but I think the point remains.

July 2, 2020 3:05 pm  #8

Whirligig - that is a good point about Sean's wife losing access to the forum because of Sean being here.  I thought it was good that he was restricted to his thread.  I think we must also acknowledge how long that thread is - how many wives sought his advice.

July 2, 2020 3:08 pm  #9

SusanneH wrote:

........ More people approved of the wife coming here and answering our questions for her than disapproved.........

No. More members publicly posted their opinion and approval.

The lesbian wife doesn't, in my opinion, belong on the Straightspouse Forum just as I don't belong in any of the  LGBTQ sites that are out there for her

Elle

KIA KAHA                       

July 2, 2020 6:38 pm  #10

Whirligig wrote:

I think it's the only appropriate way to do it and even then I feel a little ambivalent. I found Sean self-important and a little patronizing but my objection was that by giving him a platform, his wife, the straight spouse had was robbed of possible support had she wanted or needed it.

I agree this should forum should only be for straight spouses.  I don't know of another one online. I need as much support as I can. It's agonizing to realize you've been the victim of false advertising. There's no Better Business Bureau or Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to file a complaint with to get your life back.

I read the first two posts of that thread when I first found this board last year. I read Sean's responses only up to page 41 today.  In summary,Sean knew marrying a straight woman was wrong and our homophobic society forced him into it. High five to OOHC for calling him out on the latter.

Perhaps the admins could pull Sean's thread from the subforum, and make it a pinned thread sitting by itself between the MOM and Stories subforums.  It would be clear it's a one-off thread that doesn't match the other categories. It should be noted it may be triggering.

Hoping Sean's wife is doing better and hoping she'll post if needed.

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

Board footera