OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2020 11:16 am  #11

Re: Lost And Confused

LostAndConfused wrote:

I am trying to let my growing rage eat up the feelings of hurt and loss. He is not a good person, and yet I'm kicking myself mentally for thinking that he was. Even with all this, there's a tiny part of me that still misses him and the plans that we made, and that is frustrating. I'm hoping that will fade soon.

I'm glad I found this website, as what happened wasn't just a standard breakup, and I'm having so many conflicted emotions.

I'm so familiar with this that I feel like I could have written it myself not long ago. It's a cycle. You'll feel rage, then grief, love, and then find yourself right back at rage again. Then it will repeat. It does get better eventually as long as you can avoid getting involved again. It's one of the reasons so many of us advise low or no contact. It keeps you stuck in the suck if you don't. I'd urge caution about correcting any misperceptions. You have a right but it can be easy to get carried away and gossips will do what they do best and before you know it you have an ugly mess on your hands that could threaten your livelihood. If you can pull it off, take it in from anyone dishing gossip, give a nonchalant laugh, say 'oh, is that what he told you?' and change the subject. Let him live with his lies and get on with your healing without him. You'll be better off in the long run. Keep your head up!

June 15, 2020 12:37 pm  #12

I concur with everyone else's feelings and advice.  The only thing I'll add is that yes, it is highly likely he "love-bombed" you to get you into the relationship.  Getting you to move in with him was yet another way he could "secure" his beard.
 You could likely learn a lot about disordered and entitled behavior over at Chump Lady, a site for those who've been cheated on.  Which you have.  

June 15, 2020 2:41 pm  #13

I'll check out Chump Lady today.

I'm not looking to "out" him at work, and I like the suggestion to just say "Is THAT what he told you?" Maybe smirk a little once I get my composure back.

I've been extremely low contact and as much as I want to storm into his place and let loose all my hurt and sadness and anger and shock and surprise, I also never want to see or hear him again.

I'm trying to convince myself that this is the best outcome, because finding out now and not after I moved in or got married IS the best outcome, but I still miss the person he portrayed to me. I miss our daily routines and him holding me all night long. I miss joking with him or watching our favorite shows or talking politics or history or anything else you can imagine. I'm angry at him for creating this situation.

One of my friends is feeling guilty now because of how much she encouraged me to go out with him because I wasn't looking to date anyone when he asked me out originally.

I'm still struggling with feeling like none of it was real, like I was in some sort of dream world that slid into a nightmare and I don't know up from down.

I am glad to read other stories of people saying that it gets better  because it gives me hope.

June 15, 2020 3:16 pm  #14

It might be against your HR's rules to "out" him at work, anyway, so watch out for that.  (It was at my job.)  
You're not required to explain yourself to others at work, anyway.   

Look at your regret this way: what you miss is the person you THOUGHT you had--but you never did have that person.  You had a hologram who appeared to be that person.  He was masquerading as that person, lying to you the entire time, presenting a false front.  That false front, that hologram, may have felt real to you but he was giving a performance, like an actor.  On the other hand, what you felt was real. 
You should be angry.  And the only person who is at fault here is him.  

June 15, 2020 7:24 pm  #15

I'm not looking to out him at work, and he finally talked to me but he's claiming that he wanted to dump me anyway and said that he wanted to be friends. (He had been acting loving right up until the moment I discovered the site). I told him he put on a damn good act but that there was no way I was going to be friends with him, and that I hated him for lying to me and leading me on. He could not answer me when I asked him why he would lead me on, but I never expected him to answer that. He did finally admit that he is bi and claimed that I didn't understand. I told him I didn't dump him because he was bi, it was because he cheated on me and lied to me, and that open Honest bi people have been capable of having monogamous relationships, but that was information that should be shared and not used as an excuse to cheat. He then admitted that his daughter's mother left him for the same reason I did, even though he had told me that she cheated on him and ran off. I have concerns that he's going to say the same kind of thing about me now in order to keep his cover.

I'm glad to be away from him, especially after him changing up from wanting me to move in one day and now trying to backpedal and act like I never meant anything now that he's been caught.

I will hate him forever but now he's probably going to do this to another woman, and although I know logically that she's got this same hurt coming, I can't help but feeling bad that he would just ditch me and move on to the next one, but I suppose that makes him a bit of a narcissist. I don't need that in my life at all, but this whole thing has been a huge shock. Going to take a long time to recover.

I also can't believe that he wanted to be friends. He seemed genuinely upset when I told him that I was going to hate him and that we were not going to be friends ever.

You are right describing it as a hologram, I was in love with the person that he put forward, the fake person that he gave me. I feel really duped, I suppose finding out you were living a lie does that.

Last edited by LostAndConfused (June 15, 2020 7:42 pm)

June 15, 2020 9:46 pm  #16

The closet rules.  He is protecting his closet.  When you say you don't want to be friends he sees that as a danger to his closet.  Mr Nice Guy wants to be perceived as Mr Nice Guy.

But you know whatever you do, your concerns are valid.  I did everything right, I was pleasant to my ex all the way and he still gaslighted the hell out of me.  

I thought Whirligig's idea of saying 'oh really, is that what he said!' was excellent.

Yes, he is narcissistic.  Don't worry about him targeting other women.  There's not much you can do about it.  You can certainly give yourself a big hug for getting yourself out sooner rather than later.  So well done!

June 15, 2020 10:06 pm  #17

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm still having trouble reconciling how ecstatically happy he seemed to be, always calling and texting and telling me how much he missed me when we weren't together. He told everybody how happy he was with me and how well I treated him. Still having a lot of mental trouble reconciling that kind of nearly overwhelming loving Behavior with someone who tried to hook up with a guy. I remember our first date, he must have spent at least $150 on the dinner and dessert and drinks. I remember him sitting beside me and just holding my hand. He looked at me with what looked like amazement that I wanted to be there with him, and told me that he'd been waiting 13 years just to be able to hold my hand. It didn't seem fake at all. Maybe he was interested in me but he's also a lying cheat because he tried to cheat on me with a man, and he did it 13 + years ago when his daughter's mother left him for the same reason so I'm trying to use that as something that proves thats this would have happened eventually and it really wasn't anything I could have done to stop it, and that it was only a matter of time before it happened, and that I was only in love with the front he put on.

I'm so angry that he made me live his lie and love his hologram.

Last edited by LostAndConfused (June 15, 2020 10:18 pm)

June 16, 2020 7:36 am  #18

yeah, it's weird isn't it, the hologram thing.  I ended up feeling like I'd had a 37 year marriage interacting with a sock puppet!  It took all that time for him to wear through my love for him - as they say love is blind.  But once you lose the rose coloured spectacles and you see the person as they are it is to see something completely different to what you believed them to be.

What a shock it was to see him standing in the shadows.  Manipulating me as easily as anything.  I decided not to waste my anger on him but to use the energy of my anger to get away from him.  Horrifying.  I had put so much care into keeping him happy and now I had to recognise that his enjoyment was in tricking me.

And it's not just me.  It's everyone.  My closest friend.  Her first response when I told her was to give me a hug but after he'd talked to her it was completely different.  She really let me down.  He's not gay she insists, and so I go through it all again.  and she replies well what's wrong with being gay!  Nothing I reply but would you like to be married to him?  and still she could not see how illogical she was being.  No I was the bad person for divorcing him.

Mr Nice Guy indeed.  It really is fake.  I trust grumpy people more than nice people these days.

June 16, 2020 9:02 am  #19

I'm still processing the amount of garbage he had planned.

During our conversation last night I asked him why he kept telling me that he wanted to have a child with me.

He said that he lost the chance at a relationship with his two other children (two different mothers, he couldn't hold straight relationships together even back then, his older child is 24, and at least one of the two mothers left because they found out he was sleeping with men) and he would have stayed with me if I got pregnant so he could be in that child's life.

How messed up is that? He was actively thinking about using me as an incubator without my knowledge so that he could have a re-do since he lost the relationships with his other children's mothers. He probably would have happily continued this sham for a while yet. Now he just seems cold and detached and he tried to make it my fault but he couldn't come up with any real reasons that it was my fault.

I feel sick. Hugs to you who got further into this kind of situation than I did and I appreciate your support.

June 16, 2020 9:55 am  #20

His desire for you to have a child so he could have a do-over and "get it right" this time around is despicable.  How did he think his relationship with a new child would be any different given that he was still the same deceptive person, concerned only with himself, and willing to deceive you?  

The positive thing about his telling you that is that it allows you to take one more step down the "trust that he sucks" road.  I said about leaving my ex, to whom I'd been married for 35 when I left, that it was the hardest thing I'd ever done, but that even though I'd been in love with him for over 40 years, his self-centered  behavior and lack of empathy for me and our son after disclosure at least made it easier, because it killed my love for him.  

Board footera