OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 1, 2016 12:39 am  #1

The screams that nobody hears

I am new here... I have gone back and forward about even posting or talking but I just can't keep bottling up these emotions. I am a military Wife and have been married for six years. About three weeks ago my husband has come out and admitted he is gay. Three and a half years ago this subject came up when I found a conversation between him and another guy. He quickly denied being gay and said that he wanted nothing to do with that life style that it actually made him sick to his stomache. He begged and even called his own parents letting them know what happened and that he was not willing and wanting a divorce. About a year later and counseling he asked to renew our vows and finally to have the wedding we had been waiting for being that we were stationed away from all our family in the beginning. And we did! Just two years ago. We were stationed to a new base soon after the wedding and now have been at our new base even further from anyone we know for the last almost two years starting in 2017. I want to be able to connect with people who actually can understand what it feels like to deal with something like this. I love my husband and I have even tried to be understanding of why this happened but don't agree with the lies and betrayal. The hardest thing for me now is all his attitude. Thanks for listening to my story even though this is just a short version.

October 1, 2016 1:13 am  #2

Re: The screams that nobody hears

We all know what you are feeling because we've lived it. It's shocking at first and is usually followed up by anger,  sadness and even loneliness. The betrayal hurts. We were inserted into a life and situation of secrets and lies whether we like it or not. For some reason those who have pushed this situation on us seem to be lacking any sort of consideration or even compassion for anyone but themselves. Do you have children with him? I am so sorry for your pain. You are among those who understand.

Last edited by Judy (October 1, 2016 1:25 am)

October 1, 2016 7:34 am  #3

Welcome HB,
Sorry you find yourself here, but you've come to the right place. You will get some good advice here that's usually no B.S. We've all lived it, and some of us like myself spent decades with someone only to discover this later in life after chasing our tail for several years trying to figure out what was going on in our marriage. Have you asked yourself what do you want? You say you've tried to be supportive, but the hardest thing is " his attitude." What about you?? This isn't what you signed up for, and it's never going to go away. Do you have children? I know it doesn't seem like it now, because of COURSE he should have disclosed this to you prior to your marriage, but at least you know what you are dealing with and can make your decision. The lies and betrayal only get worse with time. Perhaps you could talk to an attorney, first session is usually free, and at least find out your rights. And it's very important to connect with someone you can talk to about this, family? A close friend?
Keep posting and good luck.

October 1, 2016 7:36 am  #4

The distrust must be horrible when he is away?    Do you trust him...I know you renewed your vows but trust is a real marriage killer.  I could not do it...I would shake when my wife went out because I didn't know if it was friends getting together or a date.  It was definitely dates turns out ..she thought I was too stupid to know...and did not care that it hurt me..

My vows meant something to me but alas somehow not to her.  I would never cheat..I would have died for her...but, alas, she did not feel the same.

Sincere hugs.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight .."  2Corinthians 5:7

October 1, 2016 7:53 am  #5

Judy no I don't have kids and you are correct I've seen the disregard of my feelings so much more as the weeks have passed. Unfortunately for me we were going through treatments so I could get pregnant and my time was being cut really short for that chance. So now I will probably not ever get to have children. I am fortunate to not have kids in this situation but it all hurts the same.

October 1, 2016 8:02 am  #6

Dee,
  I couldn't even imagine years longer then the six I've been tormented by. I have a aunt who two years ago went through the same after a 25 yr marriage and a child.
What do I want?! I've asked myself that everyday since his coming out three weeks ago. What I always wanted was my marriage but what I need at this point is to not be attached to this madness. I'm ready to get out of this but I'm delayed being that I am thousands of miles from home or anyone I know. I have been looking into talking to one and I have the option for the law office on base. It's so much with being a military wife. This week I was lucky to have a family member visit but the days came and gone and now just lonesome days and nights creep back in my path.

Dee wrote:

Welcome HB,
Sorry you find yourself here, but you've come to the right place. You will get some good advice here that's usually no B.S. We've all lived it, and some of us like myself spent decades with someone only to discover this later in life after chasing our tail for several years trying to figure out what was going on in our marriage. Have you asked yourself what do you want? You say you've tried to be supportive, but the hardest thing is " his attitude." What about you?? This isn't what you signed up for, and it's never going to go away. Do you have children? I know it doesn't seem like it now, because of COURSE he should have disclosed this to you prior to your marriage, but at least you know what you are dealing with and can make your decision. The lies and betrayal only get worse with time. Perhaps you could talk to an attorney, first session is usually free, and at least find out your rights. And it's very important to connect with someone you can talk to about this, family? A close friend?
Keep posting and good luck.

October 1, 2016 8:15 am  #7

It has been really hard to trust. He's given so many reasons not to. After the day he told me he was gay two days later I found out that he had already been planning a future over video chats with the same guy I had questioned about years ago. Now he says he cut it off cause it was never about him leaving me for someone, so he says .... But then in the same day I find out he's made a Facebook page where he has blocked me added other woman from his past that don't know me and also guys that Ive realized he could've only met where we live now. Worst part of it all is that even my in laws have added this page and most of everybody else on it doesn't even know he's still married or that I even existed ever in his life. It hit me right in the gut and put a wrench in my heart. I've never felt so isolated and disrespected. He's left out home a few days after the big reveal.
I too took my vows seriously. I was a proud military spouse supporting my husband through most of his career so far. Come January he deploys over seas for a half a year and that's going to be tough. He's disappearing so quickly before I could even grasp what's even happened.

Rob wrote:

The distrust must be horrible when he is away?    Do you trust him...I know you renewed your vows but trust is a real marriage killer.  I could not do it...I would shake when my wife went out because I didn't know if it was friends getting together or a date.  It was definitely dates turns out ..she thought I was too stupid to know...and did not care that it hurt me..

My vows meant something to me but alas somehow not to her.  I would never cheat..I would have died for her...but, alas, she did not feel the same.

Sincere hugs.

October 1, 2016 7:32 pm  #8

HB, I'm alittle confused.  Are you moving to a new base starting in 2017? 

I hope you're employed, if not you need to find a job pronto or you need to be tucking away some cash in case you need it. 

I'd also be leery of using the bases legal offices...why you ask?  Because your husband is active military and because you have no children which means you could be in some serious trouble if he files for legal separation while on active duty overseas. You my dear will be screwed. This means you'd be homeless, so at least take notice of apartments in your area, free women's shelter's in the area on a just-in-case basis, the YWCA, and cheap hotels. Do you have or how soon could any family or friends get to you in case he files? I'm not saying he will, you need to be prepared in case he does.  

For one they (base legal offices) are going to protect their military member over you. You'll also be giving them a heads up that something is wrong and they might call your husband in to see what is going on. Be very careful here. I'd seek the advice of an outside divorce attorney and during your interviews in finding one, make sure they know how to handle military spouse's benefits if a separation occurs. I'm unsure what you'd be entitled too if anything since you don't have children. Your housing I'm fairly certain will go by the wayside.  Military housing is limited as it is. Be prepared in case this happens, you'll need cash for gas and a hotel if this happens. The military will only give you so long to pack and move your belongings. You might also find storage units close by in case you need them. You won't be allotted the free packing service any longer.  I'm unsure if the military still offers this service.  I'm unsure if speaking with another military wife would be a good idea either.  Unless you can find out some information as in general convo or gossip.  Say bring up how many couples divorce something along this line or if you'd heard of someone getting a divorce. 

You also need to ask yourself - where will you file?  What state you're in vs what state you might be going too, and what the terms are for separation, spousal support etc, etc.  Each individual state is different, easy to find online. What are the state requirements in case you need to move first before you file in case he doesn't.  

I don't mean to frighten you, but this FB thing and his parents already on this page and not telling you or as you said blocking you, tells me that he is going to file and soon, they know something is up and why would they think you and him are no longer married? This doesn't make any sense.  At least to me it doesn't. 

Keep posting and keep us updated.  Good luck. 

October 2, 2016 5:01 am  #9

My husband started cheating on me when we had been married only two months. I caught him. Then he cheated again when my back was turned and I was busy with my dying mother. Then he cheated again when a woman who was a customer where he worked hit on him. Then he cheated with a male until I caught them. Now he's had a 13 year affair with another man who is married to a woman. I've tried for 46 YEARS to make it work. Along about now, and after typing this, I realize anyone who reads this is going to call me a fool. I wonder why I kept on forgiving him when he never once said he was sorry or was contrite. I'm not stupid. In the end he tried hard to abuse me and have ME vacate the marriage. He even threw me on the bed and choked me two months prior to me finally giving him a week to get out.  I believe discovering you have a Gay spouse is so painful and raw it's hard to recover from. All these secrets and deception - it's just about the worst feeling there is. Lies became usual and the rule of the day. That's no way to live. We are all better off without them. It's just a devastation like no other....and I am proud of my integrity. The assocation with him made me sick. 

jkpeace wrote:

I would try not to let your fear overtake your good sense.  Although, that is almost impossible, when you are in shock.

I tried for 10 months to keep my marriage of 24 years (& 5 children) together.  Everyone on here has said that the behavior gets worse and worse.  In my case, they have been correct.

My husband and I will be divorced, soon.  He was fired from his job, and I am a substitute teacher, looking for a full-time teaching job.

Although my children and I will be penniless, I can deal with that far, far better than the distrust and lack of respect and erratic behavior that has worsened.  (I am not kidding about penniless, either.  My STBX now makes $0.00.  I make only $1500/month, as a credentialed substitute teacher.  

I am so sorry that you are going through this, but if you are ready to move on with your life, sooner is better than later.  I don't mean to talk about myself to change the subject.  I'm trying to give you just one example of how I started out trying to make this marriage work.  I realized that is impossible.  

Emerald gives you excellent questions to consider.  If you can, make a list of what needs to be done and do that, one step at a time.  The list will be overwhelming...just one step at a time.

JK

I hope that you are able to think clearly.

Last edited by Judy (October 2, 2016 5:03 am)

October 2, 2016 5:10 am  #10

jkpeace - There may be some aid available to you from the federal gov't for food, healthcare for the kids etc. Don't worry. He'll have to get another job but it will work itself out. You've come too far in this to let a speed bump throw you off the road. The other aspect is if any agreement is reached for an amount of child support, him not working is his problem and most states still demand he pay you. How he pays is his problem if you are divorced. He'd have to go to court to document why he isn't working and/or cannot find a job to pay his support in the interim. Dig deep. I sense tremendous strength in your words. It's there. 

Board footera