OurPath Open Forum

This Open Forum is funded and administered by OurPath, Inc., (formerly the Straight Spouse Network). OurPath is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides support to Straight Partners and Partners of Trans People who have discovered that their partner is LGBT+. Your contribution, no matter how small, helps us provide our community with this space for discussion and connection.

BE A DONOR >>>

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2020 11:03 pm  #11

Re: 13 years together, marriage and a child, over in an instant

Hi Metta,

Welcome & am very sorry this has happened to you.

Getting at least 7 hours of sleep nightly, exercising and eating well are very important. You want to keep healthy in body and mind to make sound decisions. Divorce is one of the most stressful things to go through. It takes most people a few years to deal with the loss and mourning after the final decree.

Getting your financial information in order before you interview family law attorneys is very important. Think about custody arrangements that will best serve your child.

Reach out to your support system. An understanding and competent therapist can help as well.

Please post here as often as you need. Take care.

Last edited by MJM017 (May 12, 2020 11:05 pm)

No - It's not too late. It's not hopeless. Even there, there's something I can do. I just have to find the will. Ikiru (1952), film directed by Akira Kurosawa 

May 14, 2020 1:40 pm  #12

Hi MettaForAll. So sorry you've been thrown into the hell of this tragedy. After my husband of 30 years came out I experienced many of the same symptoms you have described, and as others have so rightly said, this is all a "normal" part of the process. I don't even like the word "normal" in this scenario because the pain, betrayal, devastation, etc. we have all experienced is so far from "normal." (or at least should be)
Anyway, just wanted to add one point. My now ex-husband also didn't want anyone else to know he was gay in the beginning. Keeping his secret at my own expense almost drove me to the edge of sanity. I finally opened up to a few trusted friends and it helped restore my own sense of sanity and my own reality. As long as I focused solely on protecting his secret, my own reality was very shaky, which led to lots of anxiety and depression. Just wanted to share my own experience with this aspect of the process. I hope you have or find someone you can be completely honest with about your own story and reality. 
All the best.   

May 14, 2020 4:40 pm  #13

Wow. What a whirlwind. I’m so sorry you’re going through this very painful experience. I went through something similar when my husband came out as bisexual. But, in my case, it was a cold/ hot / cold / hot cycle for weeks (sometimes in the same day even). I found myself wishing he would have come out as gay instead so I could get a clean break. I hung on for our young daughter but cried more than I ever thought possible.  

I made the mistake of getting us into marriage counseling too early. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone myself because — during those 50-minute sessions — I felt like I was sitting on the couch with a complete stranger. There was so much blame-shifting that at one point the therapist looked me in the eye and said "You know you didn't cause this, right?" I felt like he was trying to make me hurt as much as he was. Then he would love bomb me later in the evening.  

Eventually, things got better...but that's probably because I put my emotions in the closet. I simply could not handle the grief anymore. I was having difficulty sleeping / losing weight / couldn't focus on work. We are still together over one year later. We just don't talk about it — which I'm sure isn't healthy for either of us. I just don't even know what to say about it, really. In the end, it wasn't the orientation that hurt me (though, of course, it was a shock) but that he kept that from me for 9 years...that I wasn't even the first to find out...and that he didn't seem to have any empathy for what I was/am going through. The future is still so very blurry… 

You seem like a really good person — and I’m sure things will get much better for you in time…In the meantime, we’ll  be here whenever you need to vent. Talk to those good listeners in your life. And take care of yourself. <3

Last edited by Julian_Stone (May 14, 2020 4:40 pm)

June 4, 2020 8:09 am  #14

I feel your pain. 

Board footera